DP 8 Is Now Shipping!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
kgdrum
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 8 Is Now Shipping!

Post by kgdrum »

magicd wrote:
Todzilla wrote:I bought 7.24 in June and was told I'd get a free upgrade to 8 when it came out. But how? The store still prices it for me, even though they have my 7.24 registration on June 26, 2012.

Me want

Send me an email at magicd@motu.com and I'll put your DP8 order in.

Dave

that's why he's called Magic Dave! ;-)
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Sergievsky

Post by Sergievsky »

So I guess this means I might be able to save money and stay at VEPro4, since I can now use VST and not be limited with AU as far as 16midi per instance...right? I just have to install all of the VST versions of all the VIs I have :smash:

BTW, for all those with 32bit old non-upgradeble software, I would think VEPro would be a really great solution. My old Ivory integrates well with DP7.24 (through Ethernet), though I still need to re-install my Korg Legacy stuff and try it out.
Raul
iMac Pro 3GHZ 10-core, 128GB RAM, 2TB hd, Big Sur
motu 8pre-es
mhurwitz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by mhurwitz »

@Sergievsky

Yes you could do that, but remember that only VST 3 has more than 1 MIDI port per instance. Luckily VEP comes in both flavors, VST 2 and VST 3. BUT, keep in mind that VST3 doesn't support program change messages. It's a real sore spot for people like me who use lots of program changes to switch articulations.
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Well I wasn't planning on an upgrade anytime soon but after looking at the new plugins and other new features it seems I'm going to have to.

Well done motu.

:)
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
mongoose

Post by mongoose »

Looks great, can't wait!

One thing I do wonder: for those of us stuck in 32-bit mode for compatibility, I wonder if the new plugins will work.
Spankin' 2020 10-core iMac, 40GB, Catalina, DP 10, Ivory, B-5, M-Tron,
UAD-2, Wissner Artist Upright Grand, Tokai MAT Strat, P-Bass, and a bunch of other noisemakers.
thracks

Post by thracks »

Loving all the David Das demos on the MOTU site. Nice work! Once I upgrade to a new Mac Pro I'll be all over this update..
Steve

2020 Mac Mini | Ventura | 828x |
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Anyone know if MAS plugins are still supported?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Todzilla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Todzilla »

My studio assistant and Windows chauvinist is now jumping on DP 8 with a competitive upgrade from (cough, cough) Sonar.
-Todzilla
Huge sound generation & capture facilities
On the banks of the River Eno
DP 8!!!, OSX 10.7.3, 15" MacBook Pro w 16G RAM 256G SSD & 630GHD, MOTU 896HD, MX4, Komplete 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Neumann U-89, pair of Peluso P12s, Seventh Circle & Demeter preamps, Lava lamp, stuffed frog playing bongos
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

mongoose wrote:Looks great, can't wait!

One thing I do wonder: for those of us stuck in 32-bit mode for compatibility, I wonder if the new plugins will work.
To my knowledge, pretty much all 64bit plugins are backwards compatible to 32bit operation. I would imagine ESPECIALLY on this update, they would make sure that's true.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

mhschmieder wrote:Over at GS, the topic is so new that there isn't a single hater yet! How long will that last? Seven postings and ALL of them positive! Did Hell freeze over? Can pigs fly? :unicorn:
Actually, I think most of the folks at Gearslutz are still reeling from
the revelation that there is another DAW besides Pro Tools.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

What is this "pro tools" you speak of? LOL!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
barreltone

Post by barreltone »

bayswater wrote:Anyone know if MAS plugins are still supported?
Yep. MAS, VST, and AU.

http://www.motu.com/products/software/dp/specs.html
Mac Pro 8 core Nehalem,OS X 10.6.8, MOTU 896HD, DP 7.24, Finale 2009, MSI, Izotope Trash, Spectron, Ozone 4, Alloy, Rx2
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

barreltone wrote:
bayswater wrote:Anyone know if MAS plugins are still supported?
Yep. MAS, VST, and AU.

http://www.motu.com/products/software/dp/specs.html
Thanks for that. Looks like MAS plugins are supported in the Windows version too? Is that a first? (Is it a WOW?)
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Glad they added VST support in the Mac version! MAin reason for this is collaboration with Windows folks. Another reason is MIDI out from VST plug ins like Reaktor and Geist. This shoudl work and makes using say NI Battery with Geist's sequencer running in DP8 possible. :headbang:

Also really glad they made it possible to dock the Control Panel into the Consolidated Window! I was thinking about how cool this would be just the other day.

I bought this the day it was announced, first time ever doing this with DP, usually conservative that way, but I think this is worth it! 64 bit version here I come! 8)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
Tritonemusic wrote:Is the info regarding the Notation Editor obtained by word-of-mouth, or do they have any info on MOTU's website? I didn't see anything regarding that. I'm a fan of the Notation Editor and would be thrilled to know it has been updated.

From here:

http://www.motu.com/products/software/dp/features.html

All is says is: "Notation Editor
Single-track, endlessly-scrolling music notation editor"
Whoa, I recall long ago that DP had increased PPQ and then it seemed to disappear back to 480. For many years, no word of this. Does anyone else remember that? I thought I was crazy because no one else seemed to speak about it. It looks like it back. I wonder what the real world impact would be of adding decimal places? Will it sample a given MIDI performance free time(one without quantize), more accurately at higher values, or does it have no effect on the accuracy of dp’s MIDI reception and only affect how small the adjustment increments are on post performance adjustment?
This is a good question for magic d.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc