I'M GETTING THERE re DP & VEP5

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
brolly
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

I'M GETTING THERE re DP & VEP5

Post by brolly »

OK all, thanks for your help so far. I've spent many hours now manual reading & forum browsing & i'm glad to say i'm finally getting there. I'm trying to limit my annoying questions but here's one just before i go to bed.

I've just created a VEP5 project called 'LASS2 V1' It contains two kontakt 5's loaded with first violin articulations running in DP7.24 via two 'VEP Event Input' plugins. It all works brilliantly. So what i've now done is put the 64bit server & the 'LASS2 V1' files in my 'Mac accounts' start up folder. so i restart the computer loyally holding down the '6' & '4' keys. The mac starts up the server appears followed by VEP5 loaded with my first violins. So far so good.
When i open up DP as I have a VEP5 in my template it opens up another. I don't want this i WANT IT TO LINK TO THE FIRST VIOLINS. Upon launching I noticed that the startup VEP5 loaded with the first violins doesn't have a preserve function on it.
Help.
The idea is that i start my computer & then go for a cuppa whilst it loads up my orchestra & i can then preserve the loaded VEP5's ready for the days work.

Looking forward to any replies in the morning especially from Texas!!!!
brolly :banghead: :banghead:
FMiguelez

Re: I'M GETTING THERE re DP & VEP5

Post by FMiguelez »

I do this all the time.

Are you using a slave computer for the samples?

If so, Preserve your VE Pro session, then Save DP's project.

Next time you want to launch the full setup, Open the VSL server in the slave (only the program). Then launch DP, and it will automatically connect, open and load VE Pro's instances (the ones that were Preserved).
Go have your coffee and come back to everything loaded and ready.

If you are using VE Pro in the same computer I'm not sure, but I see no reason why it would be different.

DP will open any VE Pro instances whose tracks are active (enabled). If you don't want a particular instance to open, simply disable DP's corresponding VI connection track.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
brolly

Post by brolly »

glad you replied!
At the moment this is on the same computer. What I need is for everything to load whilst I have a cuppa. I'll then open DP with a brand new sequence & link up.
I'm learning using just one instance of VEP5 at the moment but envisage at least 10 VEP5's opening on start up, some will eventually be on a slave but not whilst I learn it all.
At the moment I have the default DP template which has folders for strings with an empty VEP5 plus all the MIDI channels & event plugins. So the idea is I open up a brand new cue & then link to the First violins but it doesn't seem to see it. I'll work on what you've sent to day & report later.
Thanks again
brolly :headbang:
brolly

Post by brolly »

Hi Fernando, i think i get it.
You have the server in your login items. Once the macs started up you then launch DP then head off for a coffee whilst it loads all the VEP5's. Once loaded you preserve & decouple them & there they remain all day.

What I could do is create a DP Startup file & put that in the login items.
Click here to see what i currently have.
http://www.brollybucket.com/VEP5/

Once the mac has started up this is what I have.
As you can see on the 'VEP5tiff' the 64bit server is completely empty but the VEP5 has loaded my first violins.
The 'logintiff' shows my startup items.

Once i launch a new project in DP it can't see the strings & there's no preserve available.
best wishes
brolly
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Yes. The Preserve and Decouple functions are excellent.

I want to clarify something I wrote above:
Enabling/disabling the VE Pro instance in DP will want to "resend" all the info (you can control what happens next in VE Pro's preferences). The point is that enabling/disabling tracks this way is quite similar to using Decouple.

If you go the other way around, as you want -loading the VE Pro frames or metaframes, and then connecting them to DP, that's another good option. If you open the VE Pro connection window in DP it should see any Preserved instances already opened in VE Pro. You can choose there which instance(s) you want to connect to.

But I confess I like more and always use the other method -opening anything VE Pro-related - from my DP template (which loads all the instruments in all the slaves). When I come back from my coffee and cigarette, I find a brand new DP session ready to be filled up, along with the slaves fully loaded and ready to rock and roll.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
brolly

Post by brolly »

Thanks Fernando!
Mac kept crashing yesterday until I checked activity moniter & only had 17megs of ram left!! So upgrading to 32gigs on monday. Currently building banks & template.
brolly :D :D :D :D