Please compare DP on my G5 versus Macbook Pro

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MeisterEckhardt
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Please compare DP on my G5 versus Macbook Pro

Post by MeisterEckhardt »

My mackbook pro:
2008, 2.5 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB ram 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
250GB hard drive
OS X 10.6.8

My G5
Dual 2.5 Ghz with 6 GB RAM
Two large internal hard drives.
I use Motu Machfive 2, MX4 and a 828 MKII interface on either machine.

I use DP 6 but I don't think for your advice, it shouldn't matter what version of DP. Some of you may use DP 7 and I'd be curious about your take on it anyway.

Which machine will give me more performance with DP, Machfive 2 and MX4? It's been great on my G5 and I never exceed the track limits, I don't mind if I have to freeze tracks so I am reluctant to install all this stuff on my Macbook pro just to see how it performs. If it's mind-blowingly better to move to the Intel chip, I might do it. Also I'd have to geek-out my Macbook pro with two external drives, I am assuming, in order for it to use Machfive's sound librarys on one drive and also to write DP files on another drive, right? I'm ok with that if the Macbook Pro is a much better way. If it is only a slight improvement, I'll stay old school. 8)

Any opinions?
TY! Peace to all of you.
Meister
Mac Mini 2012 under El Capitan OS X with 16 GB RAM, Motu MIDI Express XT, Motu 828 MK II Firewire, Motu 8pre, Korg o1W/fd, Yamaha S80, TrapKat, Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute drums, lots of percussion, Roland VS-1680, Mics, Fender J Bass, hens, tamworth pigs, barn cats, one incredibly smart and lovable farm collie. (Animals great for sampling, no batteries required).
Shooshie

Re: Please compare DP on my G5 versus Macbook Pro

Post by Shooshie »

Intel over PPC is a huge leap in performance. Yes, you'd need a couple of Firewire 800 drives to get the most out of your MacBook Pro. Of course, you can do it with no extra drives, but the best performance will come from using multiple drives.

DP7 was probably the best version-release of DP in its history, and it's only gotten better.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You can get a PCI card for eSATA on the MBP. This will give you the ability to add one or more eSATA drives (depending on the chip in the controller). Much faster than FireWire. If the controller supports multiple drives, you can but a multiplier that lets you add up to four. If the controller supports only one drive, then the multiplier doesn't work.

A 23" monitor can cost about $125. That and an eSATA drive or two will have you running circles around the G5. Use the MBP monitor for your mixer or CueMix or effects etc. You still have a limitation of 6 or 8G RAM depending but there's still plenty you can do.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

32-bit Geekbench scores provides some perspective:

Power Mac - 2.5 Dual G5 June 2004: 2,100

Macbook Pro- 2.5 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, Late 2008: 3,420

Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5, Late 2005, the last and greatest G5 : 3,319

Current 6-Core 3.33: 15,800
MeisterEckhardt

Post by MeisterEckhardt »

Wow! Thanks for your responses. You hit the answers out of the ball park. And very interesting answers with intriguing statistics. Musician-geeks, unite! Thanks to the community here. I am very grateful you are here. I never knew that about the eSata card which could accommodate multiple drives. I like that idea a lot. That would totally save all my USB and firewire ports from getting used up with cable madness and a need to use hubs while also gaining speed. Gracias.

Cheers,
Meister
Mac Mini 2012 under El Capitan OS X with 16 GB RAM, Motu MIDI Express XT, Motu 828 MK II Firewire, Motu 8pre, Korg o1W/fd, Yamaha S80, TrapKat, Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute drums, lots of percussion, Roland VS-1680, Mics, Fender J Bass, hens, tamworth pigs, barn cats, one incredibly smart and lovable farm collie. (Animals great for sampling, no batteries required).
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Yes, cards that support more than one port are available. It is a good idea to check with the manufacturer first to make sure that it is compatible with your MBP (see below). Here is one that supports two out:

http://www.amazon.com/Tempo-Sataii-Pro- ... multiplier

If you find a controller that has one port out but supports "Port Multiplier Technology", then the following box will let you hook up an additional four:

http://www.addonics.com/products/ad5ehpmeu3.php

I have one of these boxes but since my built in controller does not support MPT, it is useless to me and I will be selling it. Unfortunately, there is no solution for the iMac that does... Dang!

Anyway, I would certainly max out the RAM. Depending on the model, it is 6G or 8G. All in all, you will rock over your G5.

My G5 was great but, when it was time to move on, I was glad I did. It put out so much heat that I joke the savings on air conditioning paid for my iMac - partially true.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

The new iPhone Geekbenches at over 1600! :lol: