DP 7.24 and ipad

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
new-knee
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 7.24 and ipad

Post by new-knee »

Hello,

I have an ipad 3 and DP 7.24, motu 2408 mk3, motu express XT. I'm wanting to be able to use the ipad as an external sound source but I can't figure out how to set the MIDI up so I can sequence while hearing the sounds on the ipad.

I've searched but just about every post is about controlling DP with the ipad.

I have the iRig MIDI device and y cable for the audio. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

new-knee
dave pine

Re: DP 7.24 and ipad

Post by dave pine »

does the vi you are using in the ipad accept incoming MIDI?
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump
new-knee

Post by new-knee »

Dave,

Thank you for your response.

Yes, the app is sampletank and I can connect my synth directly and it works fine. But, when I connect the iPad to the motu express XT I don't know how to set it up in audio/MIDI so DP will see it.

New-knee
dave pine

Post by dave pine »

dp doen't need to see it, it needs to see dp, just send the MIDI out to a MIDI out on the xt, and connect that to the in of the ipad, make sure your MIDI channel is set.

have you done this before with other keyboards?
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump
new-knee

Post by new-knee »

Dave,

Yes, I have several synths and VI'S and never had any problems setting them up. I have the iPad connected to MIDI out 8 on the express xt going in the iPad and my master keyboard MIDI out is connected to MIDI in one on the xt. I can access all my other units but when I try to select the iPad there is no listing for it. For some reason I have no idea of what to do next, I've developed a total brain fart. There should be something to select like "iRig" or something to let me access whatever vi I have instanseated on the iPad.

Thank you in advance for any additional assistance you can give me.

new-knee
dave pine

Post by dave pine »

disconnect one of your keyboards that work, and hook that up to the ipad in and send MIDI to the ( name) of the disconnected keyboard.... is your ipad playing now?
new-knee

Post by new-knee »

Dave,

Yep, works fine.

new-knee
new-knee

Post by new-knee »

Dave,

Wow! I feel like a total dummy for not being able to figure this out. I just had to add an instrument in audio MIDI and now it works fine. I'm sorry for the trouble but I really appreciate your help.

Once again, thanks a million.

new-knee
dave pine

Post by dave pine »

so just go into audio MIDI setup and name whichever port on the mtp xt you want to use ipad.... hook it up and done.
new-knee

Post by new-knee »

I've got it working fine now thanks to you. I was searching so hard for a factory setting I completely forgot to just make one. I was sure it had to be more difficult that it was. Anyway,
it is working now and I can play with this I also bought the CMI emulation for ipad! I just bought the stripped down version to see if I might like it and I'm not sure I'll spring for the full version but it is fun to play with.

Once again, thank you for your assistance.

new-knee