Utility that would create markers from a text file

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ironchef_marc
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Utility that would create markers from a text file

Post by ironchef_marc »

I'm trying to streamline my workflow and work more efficiently.
All my spotting notes are done in a doc and I always create a master DP file for a movie where I basically re-type all those exact same notes into markers in DP. Then that becomes my template project for the movie and I start with that file for each cue. Works great but it is a tedious task that can take a solid 6-7 hours depending on the movie I'm working on. And as we all know with the ever shrinking deadlines we are facing every hour counts!

Even if I get someone else to do this for me it just seems like a big waste of time especially considering they've been typed once already. So I'm thinking there's got to be a way to program a little utility that would read a text file and import/convert those notes and timings into markers in DP. It can't be that complicated. Perhaps even someone has written one already?? Or knows someone who has written those kind of utility program for DP and would be able to do this for me?

In any case, any tips or leads would be much appreciated!

regards,

icm
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
Softwares | DP 11.22 | VEPRO7 | Audio Interface | M4 |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV
daniel.sneed

Re: Utility that would create markers from a text file

Post by daniel.sneed »

Marc, sorry to say, I just don't get it.

How an app could *know* the markers' timing?

And, BTW, if you've done a doc first, copy/paste is your friend, isn't it?
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

daniel.sneed wrote:Marc, sorry to say, I just don't get it.

How an app could *know* the markers' timing?

And, BTW, if you've done a doc first, copy/paste is your friend, isn't it?
The timing is my notes! My cues notes looks somewhat like this (can't do the exact same formatting on here but have this info:

1m06
1.08.04.06 hit on the knife, not overly dramatic
1.08.08.17 subtle hit on shoes
1.08.12.24 cut to her eyes add tension
etc.

So basically the utility finds the cue number and then copy the notes at the given time. That's what programmer do dude! They make rules, decipher and analyze data. Trust me this is simple stuff to do.

Copy paste doesn't make it any faster in fact I type it all back in as it even makes it longer. The other thing too is you have to punch in every location in DP. So when you have 60 cues with each about 5-6 entries of timing and notes on average (that's 300-360 markers with notes) it takes you a day to do this when a simple utility could do this in seconds.
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV
frankf

Post by frankf »

ironchef_marc wrote:I'm trying to streamline my workflow and work more efficiently.
All my spotting notes are done in a doc and I always create a master DP file for a movie where I basically re-type all those exact same notes into markers in DP.
Do you input your spotting notes on a Mac that will run DP? If so, use a slimmed down template (no plugs, VIs) and directly enter the spotting notes and locations, then Load into your main project and proceed from there. Or use a MIDI file. If there was an iPad app that has markers and MIDI file export, that would be great, does Garage band have these features? Of course,if a client is sending you the spotting notes, then it's copy/paste with manual entry.
Frank
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

Someone else types the notes plus as it goes by pretty fast there wouldn't be enough time to input in DP as we go. The way I do it works fine that's why I want a utility that will take the doc and convert it into markers and I will get it written for me!! :arrrr:
--
frankf

Post by frankf »

Bottom Line: You must convert the doc to a format that DP can import, so first look at DP's Import formats, then see if there's a utility that can convert the format of your doc to one of them. But if you're taking notes on paper, your current method seems most efficient. Interns are great for this :)
Frank
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB