Maschine with DP?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
kgdrum
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Maschine with DP?

Post by kgdrum »

Hi,
I'm thinking about grabbing Maschine(1st version)
The Mkll version doesn't really look like it will add much(colored pads,jog wheel etc...).
I can get the present Maschine for $300,which seems like a good deal.
With the upcoming 1.8 update Maschine looks like it will be pretty cool.
With that being said,are there any people here who use Maschine with DP?
Do they work well together? Any glaring issues? With DP & Maschine or Maschine in general.
Thanks
KG
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
rodger1811

Re: Maschine with DP?

Post by rodger1811 »

I own it and I have no issues at all! Works great!
Mid 2012 Mac Pro 12 Core 2.4GHz, 24G RAM, OSX 10.8.2, DP 8.01
4x2 TB Hard Drives
APOGEE Symphony
MOTU 2408 mk3
MOTU HD192/Black Lion Modified
MOTU 24I/Ox2
MOTU MIDI Timepiece
Universal Audio UAD-2 Quad x 2
Universal Audio (Entire Plugin Library)
Waves Mercury+ Studio Classics
Tons of other goodies; to many to mention here
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

rodger1811 wrote:I own it and I have no issues at all! Works great!
Ditto, I love Maschine!
NI's integration with their own, and third party VI's and plugins makes it a no brainer, especially if you can cop it for $300. You can even get the iPhone/iPad version of it which functions as an idea scratch pad, and then transfer those idea's to the main version to continue your composition. Maschine's sequencer doesn't compare to DP's but it's more than capable to get the job done. I have a couple of productions out on the market right now that I did solely in Maschine!
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
kgdrum

Maschine with DP?

Post by kgdrum »

Great!
Thanks Roger and Kwiz for the info. ;-)
As Maschine users do either of you see any compelling reason if I'm about to jump onto the Maschine bandwagon that I should actually hold off on version 1,wait a bit & pay more $$ and get

I guess another way to ask,if you didn't have Maschine yet, would you go for the discounted 1st version or wait and get the Mkll version?

Thanks
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

I'd only wait for version 2 if you didn't have Massive, a really powerful synth that offers loads of usable sounds and is highly programmable. Otherwise, go for version 1 because the major improvements are software based, once software v1.8 is released, which will be version 1 (hardware) compatible!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.

F. Douglas
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Hey Kwiz,
Yeah I have Massive already,one thing that's making me pause on Mk1 vs Mkll,on Gearslutz some users are stating pad & button response varies widely on each unit.
The MIDI cable does not lock like the revised Micro,which has been an issue for some users.
It's hard to figure how much the GS posters are talking in relation to reality. & GS mania! lol
I'm trying to figure out if the Mkll will have enough build quality enhancements to make spending an additional $200 worthwhile or if it's just marketing hype. Re improved pad response etc.....
Colors I don't care about,though the improved LCD might also be worthwhile,decisions,decisions...........
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

I hear you kg and understand. I have 2 Maschine's and have never had a problem with the MIDI or usb cables disconnecting. One stay's in the studio, the other stays at home or on the road with me. However, I don't use them as performance units, maybe people that do have those issues. As far as pad sensitivity goes, if I did have a complaint, that would be it. The pads are a bit stiff but I've got used to them in a short period of time. Version 2 is going to be a winner so you won't go wrong either way, especially since you already have Massive.

If you end up getting version 2, let me know how you like it!
I might sell one of mine and cop the newer version and use that in the studio, the new lcd screens look easier to read and my eye's aren't what they used to be. :lol:

F. Douglas
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Thanks both for the useful info,I decided to wait for Mkll ,there seems to be too many potential improvements for me not to wait a bit and spend a bit more $$.
Hopefully the improvements are worth the wait and additional cost.

;-)