BIAS closed

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Guitar Gaz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: BIAS closed

Post by Guitar Gaz »

The Bias website is back up again and you can download updates and authorise the existing software. Apparently someone has Mountain Lion and Peak works on it and there may be hope that Peak will have a future (the head of the company seemed to hint this). So I am not abandoning ship just yet (nor am I "upgrading" to Mountain Lion either). However by the time Apple moves on to OSX Moggy (are there any other cats left?) Peak may disappear which is still a shame IMO.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

They won't run out of members of the cat family for awhile. Many species are isolated in distribution and not all are large. There's a few in Latin America that have nice names that would not as easily be confused with earlier releases such as Mountain Lion (= Cougar/Puma).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Guitar Gaz wrote:The Bias website is back up again and you can download updates and authorise the existing software. Apparently someone has Mountain Lion and Peak works on it and there may be hope that Peak will have a future (the head of the company seemed to hint this). So I am not abandoning ship just yet (nor am I "upgrading" to Mountain Lion either). However by the time Apple moves on to OSX Moggy (are there any other cats left?) Peak may disappear which is still a shame IMO.
This is huge news. Thanks!

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

mhschmieder wrote:They won't run out of members of the cat family for awhile. Many species are isolated in distribution and not all are large. There's a few in Latin America that have nice names that would not as easily be confused with earlier releases such as Mountain Lion (= Cougar/Puma).
I suspect they won't use Puma because of the sportsware brand of the same name, and Cougar of course reminds everyone of older women chasing young men so probably Apple would not want that connotation. So that leaves Bobcat (Dylan fans will prefer that) or Ocelot.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Somethin' tells me Tabby is not on the short list.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

Soft Kitty?
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
kgdrum

BIAS closed

Post by kgdrum »

Cool Cat

I loved that song when I was a kid! lol
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
billf

Post by billf »

Guitar Gaz wrote:I suspect they won't use Puma because of the sportsware brand of the same name, and Cougar of course reminds everyone of older women chasing young men so probably Apple would not want that connotation. So that leaves Bobcat (Dylan fans will prefer that) or Ocelot.
I believe Apple did use Puma for 10.1, which was during the dark days of the OS9 to OSX transion. Be that as it may, the important thing is that the Bias website is up again, so thank you for posting the update Guitar Gaz. I did the cross-grade to DSP-Quattro, but keeping Peak running is a blessing.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Nope, there's a lot more besides Bobcat and Ocelot; just not as well-known. My favourite is the Margay, which I've never seen but is supposedly spotted (no pun intended) in the Maya Mountains of Belize.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margay

http://www.google.com/search?q=margay&h ... iALUuIH4DQ

Unfortunately, it's also the name of the world's most popular g0-kart brand:

http://margay.com/

I had never heard that term "cougar" for an older woman before. Is she still a "cougar" if the younger guy (me, in this case) is the initiator? :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Has anyone tried any of the other BIAS products recently to see if they'll still work and/or reinstall?

Now that I'm starting to settle into my new home, I am hopping to do some audio restoration projects this fall, and was counting on their tape-to-computer software for initial transfer, as a way of speeding up the first stage of the process (cataloguing, labeling, etc.) before pulling out RX Advanced for the heavy lifting.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Guitar Gaz wrote:
mhschmieder wrote:They won't run out of members of the cat family for awhile. Many species are isolated in distribution and not all are large. There's a few in Latin America that have nice names that would not as easily be confused with earlier releases such as Mountain Lion (= Cougar/Puma).
I suspect they won't use Puma because of the sportsware brand of the same name, and Cougar of course reminds everyone of older women chasing young men so probably Apple would not want that connotation. So that leaves Bobcat (Dylan fans will prefer that) or Ocelot.
One of the all-time great cats is the Maine Coon Cat. One of those cats helped raise my kids. He was one of the most intelligent and compassionate creatures I have ever known, and I'm including humans in that statement. I'd be proud to have the Maine Coon OSX. That cat had about 26 toes, by the way. His name was Sixtoe, but his front feet had 7 toes each, and the rear two had 6 apiece. His front paws looked like he was wearing baseball mitts, and he could pick up objects, including a ping-pong ball, in one paw. He held corn-on-the-cob the way we do, and ate it the same way we eat it, except that he was holding it that way on the ground. He didn't lift it up to eat it; just wrapped his paws around each end of the cob and rolled it as he finished each row of corn. And he participated in the raising of the many litters of kittens he spawned around the neighborhood. Sixtoe was a fierce warrior, and protected my kids and his kittens (not to mention his devoted harem) from stray dogs and coyotes. He'd jump on the head of a dog many times his size and tear the dog to shreds before it could get the cat off. He never got dog bitten, but he survived poisoning, being hit by a car, a bullet (BB) in the head, and numerous other attempts on his life. I could tell you stories all night about that cat. His breed deserves an Apple OS to represent.

I know we'll never see a Maine Coon OSX, but the cat is definitely worthy of that honor. Amazing beings, those!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
FutureLegends

BIAS closed

Post by FutureLegends »

Here's my studio mascot. His name is Dostojevskij. Not sure what breed he is. Probably a mongrel like me. I want Mongrel OS! ;)
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

Here is my cat in her favorite tree - nothing to do with the subject..just cute

Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
AnthonyS
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by AnthonyS »

I vote the next OS upgrade be called OSX StudioCat..... :)
MacBook Pro 15" 2G QuadCore i7,8G RAM, 20"Intel iMac 2.4Ghz , 4G RAM.OSX 10.8.3 on both, DP 7.24, MOTU 828MK3, AudioBox 1818, KRK Rokit 6G2, Omnisphere 1.5, Komplete 8, Amplitube 2&3, SampleTank, Sonik Synth2, SampleMoog, SampleTron, Ivory 2, Philharmonik, EWQL MOR, SC, SOG, SD2, Reason 6, Waves, McDSP, Slate Digital VCC, FGX, Sound Toys.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

AnthonyS wrote:I vote the next OS upgrade be called OSX StudioCat..... :)
I'd buy that!
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|