TEST: 5 DAWs 5 MBP Optical O/P You better read this :)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: TEST: 5 DAWs 5 MBP Optical O/P You better read this :)

Post by Dan Worley »

Yes, congratulations!
DP10.13
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Radiogal wrote:I´m proud to tell that last monday I was elected as a new board member of the Swedish Sound Engineer Society. (The Swedish big name, hot shot sound engineer society 8) )
The SSES organized this DAW test as you all can read from my first post in this topic.

Ever since this DAW test I have experienced a fast growing respect from the members and board towards me and I´m almost sure that the fact that "my" Digital Performer won this test, did open up for this new position.

These guys never got angry nor felt threatened by the results of this test. In fact, they wanted to know more about DP.
Some even consider buying :)
Girl! You make us ALL proud. Plus, your upbeat attitude and your love for DP (and AmpGUI mods) has always made you a kindred spirit in my book. I'm so glad you are here in this forum!

You've earned everything you've accomplished, and I encourage you to keep up the good work. You are inspirational even to old guys like me who think they've seen it all (but haven't, of course).

Congratulations again,

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

Thank you all for the hurrays :love:

I need that "LIKE" button for all your sweet replies!!! :)

Now let´s get back to topic.. TEST: 5 DAWs 5 MBP Optical O/P You better read this :)
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

Thank you RG, It's nice knowing Im using the very best sounding DAW.

Appreciate the post,

mvh
geoffg

Post by geoffg »

Very fun to read this post, and compare to the complaining over on GS. I'm feeling very proud of DP right now.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

DP has been my tool of choice since 2.x. I use others when I have to but have never wanted to switch. Such favorable comparisons with other DAWs are nice to read but would never influence my choice.

More than one user of brand X has bought DP after seeing me work in it.

Still, I'm glad that the tests and results have raised your stature among your peers. That has to be good for business :woohoo:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

TEST: 5 DAWs 5 MBP Optical O/P You better read this :)

Post by James Steele »

Congrats RG!!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
donreynolds

Post by donreynolds »

Excellent! Great opportunity.
DP 9, MacPro 2.93/8 core/22 Gb RAM. OS X 10.11.6, 13"Macbook PRO 2.66 Duo, OS 10.11.6 El Capitan, 2xWD 150gig Raptor x 2, x3 My Book Studio 1 & 2Tb drive x 2, DP 7.24, BLA/Motu 896 HD x 2, BLA microclock ll, Presonus Central Station, Waves Plat. V7 , Slate Everything, Melodyne studio, SSD 5, TruePianos, Scuffham S-Gear, Alpha Track, Event 20/20 bas, Adam A7, and other toys, Lotsa guitars, HeadRush GTR processor and a Korg Triton)
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

Don't mean to start a flame war but... I also use REAPER(Its great.. and I love tracking with it). I've tried to mix the same project with both but I always get the feeling I get a bit more clarity in DP. I've even used the same plugs with copied settings on both and feel better sound-wise with the DP mixes. Its weird. Maybe its just me. I don't know if it can be the Audio Engine algorithm of each program or what the hell it is.

Have any of you ever experimented mixing exactly the same project with DP and another DAW???

cheers
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

Absolutely YES to that question.
I did this test back in the year 2000 and compared PT, DP, Cubase and Logic with the same project.. already then DP sounded best, that´s why I started using DP fulltime.
I was gladly surprised DP is still #1 soundwise in this latest test mentioned in this topic, as 12 years have passed since my earlier test and many of the DAWs have been totally rewritten during these years.
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
nyplugin
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by nyplugin »

wow, that's a good test! I know that Logic doesn't sound good,especially when you mix on it...the meters are all messed up.
But I didn't expect the result of PT. I use it to mix it and I find it easier then DP and somehow of better quality. Maybe it depends of my audio interface....
MacOS 15 Sonoma - DP 11 - Mac Mini 2018 i7 2.3GHz - 64GB RAM