How does one punch on on controller#1 automation?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by toodamnhip »

OK, I am using LA Scoring Strings.
It automates volumes using controller 1.

I usually record MIDI in overdub mode which allows me to automate various things such as notes on one pass, controller data on another.
I can automate volume #7 data while in overdub mode and it works fine. If there is previous vol automation, subsequent passes allow me to grab the fader and take over and re-write NEW #7 data to improve upon earlier vol data,.
However, when it comes to Modulation, controller 1, I am having a bit of an issue as to the best way to approach this.
The way it stands now, if there is NO controller 1 data, then the 1st pass of automating controller 1 on a MIDI track, it works fine.
However, later, if I wish to take another pass at the controller 1 data, there is no way to overwrite the previous controller 1 data.

So after the first pass of control 1 data, on subsequent passes, I get a “fight” where the new controller 1 data is fighting with and overdubbing with the old.
If I take DP out of overwrite automation mode s as to take over the controller 1 data on subsequent passes, it will erase the notes.
Thus far the “solution” to this has been to manually erase the previous controller 1 data and take a new pass at automating controller 1 each time, losing anything I had done and liked in previous passes.
This sucks as most often, there is some good and some bad 1 data and Id like to be able to just record enable the track and then punch in when I touch the mod wheel.
I have thought I could always put the controller 1 data on another MIDI track and take dp out of overdub mode, and do the same for any controller I wish to add, thus leaving the notes on their own tracks separate from the various other controller automation data, But this seems fairly inelegant.
Any advice?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
dave pine

Re: How does one punch on on controller#1 automation?

Post by dave pine »

are you against drawing it in by hand?
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

dave pine wrote:are you against drawing it in by hand?
It is easier to use the mod wheel. I will usually hand draw enhancements or some corrections after an initial pass with mod wheel.

I also use the “quick filter” button to only show controller 1 data.
But it would be way better if there was a way to overwrite previous cont 1 data on subsequent passes using a mod wheel without overwriting notes.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
timmeh
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by timmeh »

+1, I'm in the same boat you're in with LA Scoring Strings. It gets old really quick having to go in and delete the old data. This goes for other things such as portamento speed which I use for the Aleatoric patches as well.
Hardware
Mac Pro 2014 6 core 3.5ghz, 1 TB Internal PCI-SSD HD, 64gb RAM, Focusrite Sapphire Pro 14, OSX 10.9.2, BlackMagic Multidock II (3) SSD's.

Software
Digital Performer 8, Hollywood Brass & Woodwinds, LA Scoring Strings, EWQLSO Platinum Plus, Komplete 9, Omnisphere, Trillian, SD2, Evolve Mutations 1 & 2, Vienna Ensemble Pro
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

timmeh wrote:+1, I'm in the same boat you're in with LA Scoring Strings. It gets old really quick having to go in and delete the old data. This goes for other things such as portamento speed which I use for the Aleatoric patches as well.
I put up a post at LASS and they said I should post here and ask an expert. Damn, I thought I was an expert..lol..
Maybe if you too post they will get the idea that this needs to be made easier or at least figured out.
(The quick filter does help though, that has been the only short cut I have been able to figure out.)
Have you ever thought of multiple MIDI tracks, one for each type of controller data? You could even merge them when you feel finished to avoid clutter.
This would at least allow for regular, non overdub record mode which would allow for new automation to replace the old without a fight.
I asked the LASS guys how THEY deal with this on whatever DAW they use.
Let's see if I get an answer.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

By the way, unless someone points out to me something I am just missing here, this is a bit of a programming oversite on the part of MOTU to me.
It would be really cool, and is really needed, if one could have overdub record mode selectable by data type.(notes/controllers/etc)
That way, one could punch and replace controller data.
Come to think of it, the real programming over site is that controller data overdub records at all!!
WHy would anyone need to merge new controller 1 data with old?
The default setting for over dub mode should be NON overdub for new controller data.
Shooshie is a wiz at all of this. lets see if he chimes in.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Welcome to my nightmare, TDH :o

Do you think you are having some issues with CC1? Wait until you want to start adding more CCs (other than 10 or 7) and want to change things or selectively bypass only certain CCs, etc...

Forget about any mixing Latch modes. Forget about pretty much any selective and any other mixing mode, for that matter. Also forget about snapshots :roll:

You won't be happy.

Check this out:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=48467

and:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=48137
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I use CC1 a lot for cross-fading, usually recording as I go to capture my dynamic feel. When I add CC1 later, I do it on a separate track, avoiding the issues described. I know project tack counts can bloat very easily, but may l I suggest using individual tracks (same MIDI channel) for each controller other than 7 and 10, then merging once things are playing the way you want?
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

FMiguelez wrote:Welcome to my nightmare, TDH :o

Do you think you are having some issues with CC1? Wait until you want to start adding more CCs (other than 10 or 7) and want to change things or selectively bypass only certain CCs, etc...

Forget about any mixing Latch modes. Forget about pretty much any selective and any other mixing mode, for that matter. Also forget about snapshots :roll:

You won't be happy.

Check this out:

and:

Interestng thread, I read it and commented.
1) I think the short term answer is that for IMPORTANT and LABOR INTENSIVE CC work, one should create a separate track going to the same MIDI channel as the notes are going to. I would hazard a guess that in that event. one caqn shut off the play enable button and have the CC data stop “auotmating”

2) It seems that MOTU tech support indicated some of this CC functionality is a bug and not working correctly. Any new word on that?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

FMiguelez wrote:Welcome to my nightmare, TDH :o

You won't be happy.

Check this out:

and:

Interestng thread, I read it and commented.
1) I think the short term answer is that for IMPORTANT and LABOR INTENSIVE CC work, one should create a separate track going to the same MIDI channel as the notes are going to. I would hazard a guess that in that event. one can shut off the play enable button and have the CC data stop “auotmating”

2) It seems that MOTU tech support indicated some of this CC functionality is a bug and not working correctly. Any new word on that?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

toodamnhip wrote:
dave pine wrote:are you against drawing it in by hand?
It is easier to use the mod wheel. I will usually hand draw enhancements or some corrections after an initial pass with mod wheel.

I also use the “quick filter” button to only show controller 1 data.
But it would be way better if there was a way to overwrite previous cont 1 data on subsequent passes using a mod wheel without overwriting notes.
Am I missing something here? I do this all the time with LASS. Just put DP in overdub mode. Despite it being overdub mode, it will recreate the CC1 data, not add to it. Nothing will be recorded until you touch something. So if you want to just try another pass at the mod wheel, just ride it and don't play any notes.

I also do what someone else said. I create multiple takes or tracks with the same notes and play the mod wheel as an overdub.

This also comes in handy when you need both hands on the keys for chordal playing. Like when using Albion for instance, which sometimes needs both hands and the mod wheel to get it right.

I must have missed part of the question..

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

you are correct that in overdub mode, dp will just ride along not adding anything. But what I need to have happen is that when I touch CC1 it OVERWRITES and CC 1 that was there before. Otherwise, you get doubled CC1 data, which becomes a mess.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

toodamnhip wrote:you are correct that in overdub mode, dp will just ride along not adding anything. But what I need to have happen is that when I touch CC1 it OVERWRITES and CC 1 that was there before. Otherwise, you get doubled CC1 data, which becomes a mess.
Oops! I made the classic error of not reading your entire post, AND replying.

But for what's it worth, I record exactly like you do, and I just erase, copy and paste from another CC1 take. No help. Sorry...

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
crduval

Post by crduval »

I'm not near my rig at the moment but I thought you could apply an input filter (not a view filter) to record only what you want in a MIDI track. I could swear I learned how to do this in DP 2.7, but I haven't ever looked at it in DP 7.2:) maybe you need to use the drum editor for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
crduval

Post by crduval »

YES!!!

Page 214 - input filter. You can set this up to record only the controller number(s) you want. Hope this helps you guys out!

Chris
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller