DP7.24 authorization problem again

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
miket
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP7.24 authorization problem again

Post by miket »

Last night I wanted to upgrade DP 7.0 on a second computer that's in my homestudio, running SL 10.6.8 latest release - no further upgrades needed, at least for now.
To make things immediately clear, I'm using DP on a single computer either. So, when I'm using DP on a computer the other one is shut off. I did this second upgrade/installation for security reasons.
After having upgraded DP7 to 7.24 and rebuilt permissions when I loaded DP a dialog box told me that the authorization file was incorrectly installed - so I wasn't able to open old and new files at all. :evil:
So with Find any File I succeeded locating the hidden authorization file and deleted it :wink:
Then I uninstalled both DP7 and 7.24 rebuilt permissions again, reinstalled, authorized DP7 and upgraded to DP7.22.
Actually the program is stable and working but I don't feel safe upgrading again to 7.24 because I fear to go back to that aforementioned annoying situation.

So, is capable DP 7.22 to read (and save) 7.24 ones? Will I have to retain the same DP releases to work without hassles?

At present I'm stuck at 7.22.
Please help if you can
TIA
m
Life without music would be a mistake
----------------------------------
MacPro 10core i9 10850K MacBookPro 16" i9 DP11 2 16A 2 828mk3 2 8PRE Ultralite mk5 3 MidiExpress 128
FMiguelez

Re: DP7.24 authorization problem again

Post by FMiguelez »

miket wrote: So with Find any File I succeeded locating the hidden authorization file and deleted it :wink:
Then I uninstalled both DP7 and 7.24 rebuilt permissions again, reinstalled, authorized DP7 and upgraded to DP7.22.
Actually the program is stable and working but I don't feel safe upgrading again to 7.24 because I fear to go back to that aforementioned annoying situation.
Fear? Unsafe? :?

I don't know the answer, but you already know how to locate the potentially problematic file, and you already know how to make it work... What's the problem? Just install 7.24. It should not ask you to authorize again, but if it does, simply do what you already know... 10 minutes tops?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The 7.24 updater is a complete install - you don't need to install anything else. It will authorize with any version of the DP 7 CD. A file count shows that the 7.24 CD has only one extra file - yes, the AUTH file.

Having deleted and correctly installed the AUTH file, you will not have problems with the 7.24 installation.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Agent of Random

Post by Agent of Random »

I may be wrong but I do not think the 7.24 updater installs the MAS plugins, so I do not think it will work as a full-installer.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

>I may be wrong but I do not think the 7.24 updater installs the MAS plugins, so I do not think it will work as a full-installer.<

You are wrong. 7.24 updater is a full install. Others have called tech support and found the same thing - this has caused confusion in those who think you can also authorize from the download (you can't without a CD).

I have installed 7.24 a half dozen times on my test drive in the last two weeks including Saturday morning. I use the 7.24 installer download only - much faster than installing from my 7.24 CD. The only thing I use the CD for is to authorize.

The 7.24 installer has 4660 files; the 7.24 CD has 4661.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Agent of Random

Well I have already conceded to my potential wrong-ness :wink:

But I coulda sworn at one time it was an update only....perhaps they changed this to make things easier for people.
MOTU_Tech

Post by MOTU_Tech »

Hello,
I can confirm that the DP7.24 updater on MOTU.com does not install a full version of DP. It will install a working version of the program, but it will not install MIDI patch lists, the ProVerb data file, and a few other things.

Cheers,
Lorne
MOTU Tech Support
MOTU Tech Support

Please advise all technical inquires should be submitted directly to MOTU's support channels (phone and online support).
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MOTU_Tech wrote:Hello,
I can confirm that the DP7.24 updater on MOTU.com does not install a full version of DP. It will install a working version of the program, but it will not install MIDI patch lists, the ProVerb data file, and a few other things.

Cheers,
Lorne
MOTU Tech Support

Thanks! Any time we can get something from the Unicorn's mouth, we're all the better for it. :unicorn:

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Agent of Random

I didn't think I was crazy :D
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I stand corrected and, when I went to verify (being one of those who was told over the phone it was a complete install), I see that he is right.

I also found an installation issue in Mountain Lion. Running a clean install of DP 7.24 over ML gives me an incomplete installation. The MOTU plugins do not work properly.

Works:
Using Migration Assistant, Time Machine and upgrading my 10.7.4 system to ML worked perfectly.

Doesn't work:
Clean install from 7.24 CD. Only my Izotope plugs show up. The Apple, MOTU and other 3rd party plugs and VIs do not.

Really weird is if I use the CD to uninstall and reinstall 7.24: OS 10.7.4 works and maintains/repairs links to my plugins and VIs. With OS 10.8, the Apple, MOTU and other 3rd party plugs and VIs do not.

Since I can get it properly installed, I am not going to make this a MOTU support case but I think anyone else with this issue should.

I have my suspicions and there are some things that I can check to see if it has an effect. If I find the solution, I will report it.