New Reaktor Multi Synth, Aries 2.0.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mike_o
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New Reaktor Multi Synth, Aries 2.0.

Post by mike_o »

I just recently finished a new synth for Reaktor.

Its called Aries 2.0, it is hosted here...

http://salamanderanagram.wordpress.com/

It was too big for the NI user library so salamander anagram was kind enough to host it at his site.

here is the overview.

Aries has 4 oscillators with 13 oscillator types.

Analog Oscillator

Digital Wavetable Oscillator

Sample Based Oscillator

Spectral Oscillator

Additive Oscillator

Granular Oscillator

Oki Computer wavetable Oscillator

FM Operator Oscillator

Shape Oscillator by Salamander Anagram

Virus Waves Oscillator

A Hammond Organ Oscillator

A Skanner Oscillator

A Formant Oscillator

2 FM operators with the same 13 oscillator types.

One dedicated Sub Oscillator with selectable input routing.

A 4 band FX Signal Path Crossover to select which frequencies will be passed through the FX and which frequencies will bypass the FX.

2 filters with 39 filter types and selectable routing for filter 2.

A Stereo Frequency Shifter.

2 types of Sample Rate Reducers.

14 Distortion Types.

2 EQ Types.

10 Types of Tonal FX (Phaser, Flanger, Chorus Etc...).

4 Types of Reverbs.

A Tempo Synced Gate with up to 64 steps in the gating pattern.

A Stereo Delay with Tempo Sync.

2 Types of Compressors

!!!Over 850 Snapshots!!!

Thanks.

Aries 1.0 is in the NI user library and has over 400 different snapshots so you may want to check that out too.

Aries 1.0 and Aries 2.0 are not snapshot compatible with each other, they are separate builds of the same concept, 2.0 being far more CPU efficient and having more advanced FX and features.

Thanks, and let me know what you think, enjoy!!!
Mac Pro 2X Dual Core 2.66Ghz-10.4.9-7 GigRam-828MKII-MTPAV-Ultralight MK3-Digi Performer6.01-PeakPro5.1-Reason4-AbeltonLive6-Virus Rack(Red)-ReMOTE 25 & 37 SL-Nocturn-Stanton Dacratch-PluggoPack-DimensionLE W/EmuProteusPack-Sylenth1-Discovery MAC-MX4-Rapture-Alpha-Octopuss-Automat-Automat1-TALbassline-TALUno60
corbo-billy

Re: New Reaktor Multi Synth, Aries 2.0.

Post by corbo-billy »

:love: I just tried ARIES: This is impressive work. Big thank you _ :dance:
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Wow, I must say the sound of this synth (and it truly is a synth) is
fantastic. Very hi-fidelity. Love it...great work. You should charge
money for this.

I must admit, though, that I am a bit stumped as to how the Hammond "oscillator" is supposed to work. I called up the Hammond patches, and
it seems that the Hammond oscillator has nine "drawbars", but moving
these doesn't change the sound, even if all "drawbars" are pushed closed. Am I missing something?

Also, is there a way to put the synth into mono legato mode (like a Minimoog)?
Right now, on mono patches, playing an adjacent note "cuts off" the previous
note (the envelope is retriggered with every new note).

Lastly, a portamento (glide) feature would be nice - don't see one..
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

To make the "difficult & frustrated", perhaps a problem with the MIDI LEARN about these sets but that's all. :mrgreen:
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
mike_o

Post by mike_o »

David Polich wrote:Wow, I must say the sound of this synth (and it truly is a synth) is
money for this.

I must admit, though, that I am a bit stumped as to how the Hammond "oscillator" is supposed to work. I called up the Hammond patches, and
these doesn't change the sound, even if all "drawbars" are pushed closed. Am I missing something?

I have had no problems with the Hammond organ system, with all drawbars at 0 I get no sound, each drawbar works as it should on my system.

are you using 5.6.2 or 5.7.0? I am on 5.6.2 as 5.7 is not compatible with leopard, so it may be a new problem in 5.7.

legato/portamento will hopefully be added to the next version rebuild, which is a 6x6 FM matrix version of the synth.

thanks for the feedback.

Mike_O
Mac Pro 2X Dual Core 2.66Ghz-10.4.9-7 GigRam-828MKII-MTPAV-Ultralight MK3-Digi Performer6.01-PeakPro5.1-Reason4-AbeltonLive6-Virus Rack(Red)-ReMOTE 25 & 37 SL-Nocturn-Stanton Dacratch-PluggoPack-DimensionLE W/EmuProteusPack-Sylenth1-Discovery MAC-MX4-Rapture-Alpha-Octopuss-Automat-Automat1-TALbassline-TALUno60
mike_o

Post by mike_o »

corbo-billy wrote:To make the "difficult & frustrated", perhaps a problem with the MIDI LEARN about these sets but that's all. :mrgreen:
I am sorry but I dont understand, what do you mean by this?
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Maybe I'll check this out, but I must admit, I'm kinda frustrated with the Reaktor user interface. Having to save a new version of an ensemble every time I make a new patch, mono synth performance not being setup the way you would expect, frequency settings being measured in arbitrary "0-100" numbers. Of course, most of these things are inherent to the ensemble itself, but the default toolset for Reaktor makes tasks just a little more complicated and confusing than standalone VIs. I find I can never just "pick up and play" with Reaktor ensembles.

My biggest beef is how it handles mono synths, by default. Typically, vintage keyboard controllers keeped track of the order notes were played, and were able to return to sustained notes even after other notes were played and released later. I'm sure some of the very earliest and cheapest didn't function like this, but every one I'm aware of did. And that's what we're all accustomed to with mono synth performance. The "mono synth trill" is one of the most highly-used techniques specific to the instrument. So then, why, 50 years later, we're building "emulator" software that defaults to playing dumb with key persistence? Sure, there are added modules that individuals have programmed to make up for this, but all the included mono synths, and many of the home-built ensembles don't. If I were a much more persistent Reaktor guru, I would simply learn how to insert persistence procedure into all new synths that I got... but I program Reaktor so rarely, that I have to relearn how to do it every time. So I have a couple synths that I've altered to do this, and I pretty much only use them.

If this one does, I'll GLADLY download and use it.

One more thing, I programmed on Max/MSP for years. Sometimes it's a pain, but it was always very obvious as to what things were doing. It didn't do anything for you. My problem with Reaktor is it tries to do some things for you, and not others, without any particular strategy. Programming polyphony in Max is an exercise in tedium and typical results in lots of yelling and throwing things... but at least it's clear as to how it functions. Reaktor handles polyphony like a pro, but half the time, I have NO IDEA how it's doing it, and that bothers me. And there are many other behind-the-scene things that just trip me up.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

mike_o wrote:
David Polich wrote:Wow, I must say the sound of this synth (and it truly is a synth) is
money for this.

I have had no problems with the Hammond organ system, with all drawbars at 0 I get no sound, each drawbar works as it should on my system.

are you using 5.6.2 or 5.7.0? I am on 5.6.2 as 5.7 is not compatible with leopard, so it may be a new problem in 5.7.

legato/portamento will hopefully be added to the next version rebuild, which is a 6x6 FM matrix version of the synth.

thanks for the feedback.

Mike_O
Ok, I figured it out. I was expecting the volume of the drawbars to increase
as you pull them down - like on a real Hammond. I see now that you increase
each drawbar's volume by pushing it "up".

Looking forward to portamento and mono legato in the next version. Thank
you.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

Thanks for this.
mike_o

Post by mike_o »

Aries 2.1 is available, the new update adds legato/portamento controls and thats it, the 6x6 fm matrix version is still being worked on.

David Polich

Post by David Polich »

mike_o wrote:Aries 2.1 is available, the new update adds legato/portamento controls and thats it, the 6x6 fm matrix version is still being worked on.

Thanks so much, Mike! Now that's I call "customer service" - and for free!
As far as I'm concerned, the addition of legato/portamento makes this a full
featured synth and one of the best-sounding ones available.
strikingtwice

Post by strikingtwice »

I gotta say, I have to bump David...you should charge for this. This is on par with most of the synths in the library, and a cut above a lot of the stuff in the User Library (not to disparage some of the great work that's in there, I can't program reaktor for sheiße).

Thank you very very much.
David DeLizza
4-core nehalem macpro, 6 gb ram, dp5,6,7, motu 896hd, axiom61, reason 4, bunch o' plugs.