DP, VEPRo5 & MIDI routing?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
PMortise
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP, VEPRo5 & MIDI routing?

Post by PMortise »

williemyers wrote:Frank, which chapter (re: more than 16 MIDI channels) in the VEPro5 manual would that be?
thanks
Start on pg 16. Also on pg 44. They show logic for the example, but the concept is pretty much the same.
DP 10.11 / 3.33GHz 12-Core, 10.15.7, 128GB / 3.33GHz 12-Core, 10.15.7, 128GB /
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination." ~ Einstein
williemyers
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by williemyers »

PMortise wrote:
williemyers wrote:Frank, which chapter (re: more than 16 MIDI channels) in the VEPro5 manual would that be?
thanks
Start on pg 16. Also on pg 44. They show logic for the example, but the concept is pretty much the same.
Got it! many, many thanks!
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
frankf

Post by frankf »

PMortise wrote:Here's where it gets different.
4. Also in DP, create a Vienna Pro Event Input. Also assign it to the VE Pro Server instance "STRINGS" and make sure the MIDI INPUT is set to "1". Name this Event Input strip "LASS Vlns".
5. Create another Vienna Pro Event Input. Also assign it to the VE Pro Server instance "STRINGS" and make sure the MIDI INPUT is set to "2". Name this Event Input strip "LASS Vlas".
Create another Vienna Pro Event Input. Also assign it to the VE Pro Server instance "STRINGS" and make sure the MIDI INPUT is set to "3". Name this Event Input strip "OMNI".
6. NOW create your MIDI tracks in DP, and assign them to the "LASS Vlns", LASS Vlas", and OMNI as if they were 3 separate instances with 16 MIDI channels each.
I hope this helps.
Thanks, this is great, but where do you create Vienna Pro Event Input in DP? (#4) I don't see it as an insert on the STRINGS VI channel. I see only "Vienna Ensemble Pro Audio Input" available there.
Frank
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
frankf

Post by frankf »

Thanks, I figured this out. I needed to create a new DP Instrument for each of your 3 VEP Event Inputs
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

frank and PM (and timmeh & wrathy), can't thank you guys enough! you've turned my VEPro5 demo from a boat anchor, to a useable tool in just a few posts! woo-HOO! more questions, I'm sure, to follow, but at least I've got a DP seq. up and running with instrument assignments working as I had described above. woo-freakin'-HOO!
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs

~me
wrathy

Post by wrathy »

Willie and Frank.
Glad you guys got it all rolling.
The land of VSL is very deep and with no doubt there are LOTS of layers.
Once you get it going it gets easier to wrap your head around it.

Frank, I run VEPro on both a Slave and Host, with VI's loaded into both.
VEPro is pretty ingenious when using a slave.
Also, about the one vs. multiple instances, I think that the VSL people imagine running one mega instance when using their instruments. For me personally, I prefer to have multiple instances run specific libraries (ie. Mixing Kontakt, PLAY, VSL and MACHV libraries/engines).
But that's just me. I very slow to adopt the "newest, fastest" methods, as all this techie stuff makes my head spin....not too mention I am very slow to figure it all out.

best.
MAIN: MacPro 3GHz 8 core, 18G RAM, OS 10.6.8 DP 7.24, 2408 Mk III, 2408 mk II, MIDI Express XT, UAD-1, SLAVE: MacPro 3GHz 4 core, 10 G RAM. Libraries: VSL :SE/SE+, App Strings, Woodwinds, Sonic Implants Strings, EWQLSO (platinum) StormDrum II, Ministry of Rock, Motu MX 4, MACH V, NI Komplete 6, w/ plenty o' sample libs, Triton Rack, TX 81Z, Yamaha WX7, assorted woodwinds, drums, Yamaha P22 Piano
PMortise

Post by PMortise »

frankf wrote:Thanks, I figured this out. I needed to create a new DP Instrument for each of your 3 VEP Event Inputs
williemyers wrote:frank and PM (and timmeh & wrathy), can't thank you guys enough! you've turned my VEPro5 demo from a boat anchor, to a useable tool in just a few posts! woo-HOO! more questions, I'm sure, to follow, but at least I've got a DP seq. up and running with instrument assignments working as I had described above. woo-freakin'-HOO!
Glad to be able to help!
wrathy wrote:Also, about the one vs. multiple instances, I think that the VSL people imagine running one mega instance when using their instruments. For me personally, I prefer to have multiple instances run specific libraries (ie. Mixing Kontakt, PLAY, VSL and MACHV libraries/engines).
But that's just me. I very slow to adopt the "newest, fastest" methods, as all this techie stuff makes my head spin....not too mention I am very slow to figure it all out.
+1
malditoyanki

Post by malditoyanki »

PMortise wrote:
malditoyanki wrote:Vienna recommends NOT creating a separate instance of VEpro for each plugin (Kontakt, PLAY, Stylus etc.) Rather, load all of them into one giant instance and essentially create one big mixing board with all VI's, buses, FX and subgroups. Remember in "preferences" to set cores available to highest possible.

In this setup from DP you will have only ONE VEpro connection for audio, but MANY connections for MIDI (even inputs.)
That is correct that Vienna recommends that - and I used to go by that for awhile. But after a spell of it not quite working out as advertised (especially after LASS's A.R.C. hit the scene), I decided to experiment. So, for a couple of months now I've been using 5 instances of VE Pro for LASS, one for PLAY percussive libraries, and one with a combo of K5, Play and Omnisphere. My setup gets the most breathing room with VE Pro set to 3 threads per instance, K5's MP support set to 12 and KMS turned off.

I know this is contradictory to what you'll find on the Vienna forum, etc. But I can tell you from my own experience that this is what's been working for me. Obviously, YMMV.
What about it wasn't working if I may ask?
Intel 6core 3.33 Ghz Westmere 48 gigs ram, MOTU micro lite, OS 10.9, DP 8.06, Apogee Symphony I/O, PLAY, most WAVES v9 plugs, Slate plugins, Soundtoys, ProTools 10, Kontakt 5, Omni, Stylus, Ivory

"DON'T fail me again, Admiral..."
PMortise

Post by PMortise »

That configuration was choking the system. I had cores and DP's Audio Performance meter idling high, and serious spikes when playing. Very limiting, indeed.
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

o.k., folks....first major question (or two?)

when I wrote earlier about success, my " success" was that I had been able to open multiple VI's within a single VEP instance and access those VI's on unique MIDI channels thru DP. happy camper.

note here that, in the process of setting up that single VEP instance, I had created two files on my Desktop...(a.) "xxxxx.viframe64" and (b.) "xxxx.mframe64". don't know exactly waht these files were all about, but I think I do need to know...

anyway, the question(s)...
As I said, I had great success accessing VI's - even added a 4th VI and accessed it! then I quit the whole thing to grab a bite.
have come back and am trying to re-open it all and having no luck at all.... :( :(
first question is, I've read posts above and other places where folks recommend;(a.) load VEPro first, *then* DP, or (b.) load DP first, *then* VEPro, or (c.) load DP first and let *it* load VEPro for you.
None of these three are working for me.

If I try (a.), DP usually reports an error message when it trys to open...
If I try (b.), when I've opened VEP and look for "Server Instances" that window is always blank...
I've tried (c.) but DP just sits there and doesn't load anything.
So that's it for now, it was earlier a great place to be - - just can't get back there??

~me
wrathy

Post by wrathy »

mframe is a VE "metaframe"
Its the file that "remembers" what was in your particular instance(s) within VEPro.
The other one to know is a VIFrame, which lives within VEPro. That remembers the setup of that instance only.

How I work:
Set up VI frames for each section of orch.
Set up mframes for templates that I use, containing VI frames.

Next important tidbit: Coupled vs Decoupled Modes.
VEPro can be "coupled" to your DAW, meaning that it snaps open and loads everything when you open the DP file the VEPro mframe is associated with.
I NEVER USE THIS MODE.
If you have a problem, the entire ship sinks.
If you run in Decoupled mode, and DP goes awry, you just quit & Restart DP, and reconnect to VEPro.

Hope this all makes sense.

I won't be able to check back in for a few days. Hope some of the other VE wizards who know WAY more than me can chime in and help you.

Bottom line: most of this is just getting the Terminology together and figuring out how this whole shebang works.....

best.
MAIN: MacPro 3GHz 8 core, 18G RAM, OS 10.6.8 DP 7.24, 2408 Mk III, 2408 mk II, MIDI Express XT, UAD-1, SLAVE: MacPro 3GHz 4 core, 10 G RAM. Libraries: VSL :SE/SE+, App Strings, Woodwinds, Sonic Implants Strings, EWQLSO (platinum) StormDrum II, Ministry of Rock, Motu MX 4, MACH V, NI Komplete 6, w/ plenty o' sample libs, Triton Rack, TX 81Z, Yamaha WX7, assorted woodwinds, drums, Yamaha P22 Piano
malditoyanki

Post by malditoyanki »

PMortise wrote:That configuration was choking the system. I had cores and DP's Audio Performance meter idling high, and serious spikes when playing. Very limiting, indeed.

Hmmm...the only time I've encountered that was with a few huge trailer projects which definitely sucked. In activity monitor I can see I have my cores 50% idol even during the heaviest sections. I may have to investigate...
Intel 6core 3.33 Ghz Westmere 48 gigs ram, MOTU micro lite, OS 10.9, DP 8.06, Apogee Symphony I/O, PLAY, most WAVES v9 plugs, Slate plugins, Soundtoys, ProTools 10, Kontakt 5, Omni, Stylus, Ivory

"DON'T fail me again, Admiral..."
cbird1057

Post by cbird1057 »

This is a great topic to have running right now, since I am also in the process of setting up VE Pro with DP. Many thanks to everyone that has contributed. Very, very helpful.

VE Pro is running nicely on my system and I have no complaints. I would like to mention within this thread that the use of a V-Rack in DP for each VE Pro Event Input (those multiple MIDI channel sends) can be handy.

The only thing I'm still trying to figure out is Preserve and Decouple (along with viframes and mframes) in VE Pro. I've read through the manual multiple times, and have done many test files, but it still doesn't quite congeal in my noggin.

So, here's my take on these functions which is very much open to comment for those who understand better:

Preserve - Seems to save the settings for VE Pro and DP, like they are synched. I have no idea exactly where this configuration is saved in DP when I give the Preserve state a name. Does it simply send the data and name of file to VE Pro for me to do what I want with it?

However, I notice when I have not saved a Preserve state in DP, the DP file will open and automatically load the VIs in VE Pro from the saved file. So, what is the point of Preserve? Am I correct in assuming that it is a function used for offloading and synching the setup to VE Pro so it can be saved as a viframe or mframe?

Decouple - Seems to eliminate the sending of any settings from DP to VE Pro, when the DP file is saved in a Decouple state. Of course, in order to Decouple, the settings must be Preserved first, which offloads the setup to VE Pro, which can then be saved as a viframe or mframe (perhaps some kind of forced workflow).

Then, to re-establish the whole setup, the vi- or mframe is opened on the slave computer in VE Pro and connected in DP. This scenario makes the most sense to me, since I've gotten into the habit of saving separate multis of VIs during various stages of a project, in case things go bonkers.

I guess there are many different ways of setting up a workflow with DP and VE Pro, which is great because it makes things extremely flexible. But the Preserve and Decouple business is still quite a mystery to me, so if anyone can help me along here it would be appreciated.

Addendum, August 8, 2012 -

I seem to have answered my own questions. Everything I assumed is true. The Preserve state is saved within the Digital Performer project.
Two 27" iMacs, (1) 3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo with 16GB RAM running DP 8.0.5 + VE Pro 5 64-bit Server, (1) 3.4 GHz Core i7 with 32GB RAM running VE Pro 5 64-bit Server only, OS X 10.8.5. VIs include MachFive, LASS, Albion, Orchestral Tools, and others too shameful to mention.