MOTU products and Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Frodo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU products and Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Post by Frodo »

malditoyanki wrote:Like a riverboat gambler I upgraded to 10.8 today. Everything seems to be working fine. Have NOT tested Pro tools yet until I absolutely have to.
Thanks for your post. Your sig has some significant instruments and plugins that once had me concerned. To hear that everything is working fine is very encouraging.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
rhythm_kitchen

Post by rhythm_kitchen »

http://roaringapps.com/apps:table/tags/_p/index_tags/

$30,000 QUESTION? Can you dual boot with either SN - Lion with ML?

---> If it shipped with Lion can you revert to Lion after a 10.8 install? What about new units that ship with Puma? Firmware block?

Bypass Gatekeeper http://www.native-instruments.com/knowl ... eloper.%22
Last edited by rhythm_kitchen on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
malditoyanki
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by malditoyanki »

Frodo wrote:
malditoyanki wrote:Like a riverboat gambler I upgraded to 10.8 today. Everything seems to be working fine. Have NOT tested Pro tools yet until I absolutely have to.
Thanks for your post. Your sig has some significant instruments and plugins that once had me concerned. To hear that everything is working fine is very encouraging.
No probs...my testing was relatively superficial. I opened a huge sequence and VEpro setup I was working on and pressed play. It worked just fine. I didn't fiddle with plugs, move parameters, insert and remove plugs so forth.
Intel 6core 3.33 Ghz Westmere 48 gigs ram, MOTU micro lite, OS 10.9, DP 8.06, Apogee Symphony I/O, PLAY, most WAVES v9 plugs, Slate plugins, Soundtoys, ProTools 10, Kontakt 5, Omni, Stylus, Ivory

"DON'T fail me again, Admiral..."
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

HCMarkus wrote:So I just purchased a 2009 Quad Mac Pro which, once I know everything is working correctly, I plan to flash to a 2010/12. I will then swap the CPU for a Six Core 3.33 Westmere.
MEh - I go on vacation and come back and hell freezes over. :-) Sounds like you've really done your homework on this one. My machine is a 2,1 - end of the line.

But I'm inspired to move my storage out of the machine, upgrade my video card, add RAM, and get an SSD boot disk. That ought to be a kick in the head.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

SixStringGeek wrote: But I'm inspired to move my storage out of the machine, upgrade my video card, add RAM, and get an SSD boot disk. That ought to be a kick in the head.
Mine's a 2,1 too (was a 1,1 but identifies itself as a 2,1 since I upgraded the processors). I'm considering SSDs as those can be moved to an eventual new machine. Adding ram is not an investment I'd willingly do as it's stupid expensive for these old machines (about five times that of the new ones).
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

FutureLegends wrote:I'm considering SSDs as those can be moved to an eventual new machine. Adding ram is not an investment I'd willingly do as it's stupid expensive for these old machines (about five times that of the new ones).
I'm going to do one SSD for the boot drive. For the rest of it I just got one of these GSpeed es arrays with PCIe RAID controller. I figure if I upgrade machines I'll just plug it into the new one and maybe upgrade the OS- instant upgrade. Someone here said that worked well for them.

If I had to rebuild the thing from scratch I think it would take me a couple weeks of inserting CDs.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

rhythm_kitchen wrote:http://roaringapps.com/apps:table/tags/_p/index_tags/

$30,000 QUESTION? Can you dual boot with either SN - Lion with ML?

---> If it shipped with Lion can you revert to Lion after a 10.8 install? What about new units that ship with Puma? Firmware block?

Bypass Gatekeeper http://www.native-instruments.com/knowl ... eloper.%22
I have a 50 GB SL partition on my MBP 750 GB internal drive which otherwise runs ML upgraded from Lion.

If you have a backup, then you should be able to restore Lion from an ML install. Or if you made a Lion DVD installer, you can backup/erase/clean install.
http://www.macworld.com/article/1161069 ... aller.html

Lion still shows up in my App Store>Purchases section as a Download as does what little else I've purchased there.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

SixStringGeek wrote: I'm going to do one SSD for the boot drive. For the rest of it I just got one of these GSpeed es arrays with PCIe RAID controller.
PCI is another thing I will never invest in again. Having been forced to upgrade my MOTU PCI several times and my UAD1 once (and have to upgrade to UAD2 if I wanna keep using the plug ins I already have in 64bit) I've had it with PCI.
There is quite some possibility that Apple will ditch PCI in favour of Thunderbolt in the next Mac Pro so that would render your PCI raid next to useless.
If I upgrade mine any more it will be with things I know I can move over to my next mac. I'm looking to get SSDs for system and samples. Then hope 64bit DP improves things just enough to keep hanging on til the redesigned Mac Pro that has been promised for 2013 arrives.
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

FutureLegends wrote:
SixStringGeek wrote: I'm going to do one SSD for the boot drive. For the rest of it I just got one of these GSpeed es arrays with PCIe RAID controller.
If I upgrade mine any more it will be with things I know I can move over to my next mac. I'm looking to get SSDs for system and samples. Then hope 64bit DP improves things just enough to keep hanging on til the redesigned Mac Pro that has been promised for 2013 arrives.
I was holding out for Sandy Bridge Mac Pro until Apple disappointed in June with the "new" Mac Pros that weren't. After rebuilding the engine in my son's Jeep, my wallet was depleted anyway, so I made the decision to go with the 4 Core 2009>Flash EFI to 2010>Install 6 Core 3.33 gHz W3680 Xeon.

I have flashed my Mac to 2010 successfully, and just ordered the 3680 from Provantage for under $600 shipped. I look forward to having a serious beast of a Mac running within the next week or so. Not counting RAM, SSDs and other upgrades beyond the 2010-2012 spec, my $1,925 (including 5770 video card) is getting me a $3,000 Mac Pro. Here's how to do it:

http://junipermonkeys.com/swapping-a-33 ... 266-4-core
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

UPDATE: My 2009 4-core is now, for all intents and purposes, a 6-core 2010...

BEFORE

Mac Pro (Early 2009) Geekbench Total Score 8519
Section Description Score
Integer Processor integer performance 7002
Floating Point Processor floating point performance 13329
Memory Memory performance 4600
Stream Memory bandwidth performance 4839

Geekbench 2.3.4 Tryout for Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)

AFTER

Mac Pro (Mid 2010) Geekbench total score 13844
Section Description Score
Integer Processor integer performance 11949
Floating Point Processor floating point performance 23055
Memory Memory performance 5299
Stream Memory bandwidth performance 5335

Geekbench 2.3.4 Tryout for Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)

Now I *just* have to install all the software and swap out the G5 Quad which, by the way, scores about 3300 on Geekbench. I'll be doing this when the current project is wrapped.

O.M.G.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Hi HC,congrats!
You are a brave industrious soul,lol
How labor intensive did this upgrade turn out to be? Any unforeseen complications? How long did it take?
Do you need specialized tools?
When some one starts talking about thermal paste,disassembly of boards etc... I start to go into a glazed eye catatonic state!
Putting in a 5th HD in the 2nd optical drive bay is the most complicated upgrade I've done and it was a bit nerve racking for me,so I wonder if this type of procedure is beyond my patience or ability.
Thanks for the update,the info is much appreciated.
Regards,
KG
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

KG, it was quite easy to perform this surgery, which took me less than an hour, proceeding slowly. The 2009 single-processor Mac Pro allows drop-in replacement of the processor, as is depicted in the link referenced earlier in this thread, and on more than a few U-Tube videos. There is also a great thread on the MacRumors forum.

Bottom line for me: This project was fun and gratifying.

Tools: Long-stemmed 3mm Allen Wrench, cue tips, and a lint-free cloth
Supplies: EFI Update from Netkas.org, your new processor, cleaning solution, and some thermal paste. I used the Arctic Silver kit which includes the paste and cleaning solution along with "purifier" to remove any residual cleaning solution. The linked thread shows the Intel-approved method of applying the thermal paste.

No complications were encountered, but don't forget you'll need to flash the EFI from 2009 to 2010 if you are planning on adding a processor that is not supported by the 2009 EFI. The EFI update has to take place first, so the new processor is recognized when installed.

Including the video card upgrade to base 2010 spec, I saved over a thousand bucks by dong this in lieu of buying a 2010/2012 6-core. And though it is a simple procedure, you may wish to enlist the aid of a PC-building friend if you are anxious about doing it yourself. It is definitely more complicated than swapping out a drive, but the fact the processor and heat sink sit on a daughter board which simply slides out of the 2009 Mac Pro makes the job a lot easier than it would be if you had to dig around inside the computer.

So, with this task accomplished, my "2010" is now equipped as follows:

W3680 6-Core 3.33 GHz
24 Gigs RAM
2 Intel 330 120GB SSDs for boot, scratch, and Ivory/BFD sample sets. One SSD in sled, the other sits in the Optical bay.
2 Seagate 2TB 7200 RPM HDs
ATI 5770 video card
1 WD 1TB 5400 RPM HD
Firewire 400 via Texas Instruments-chipped PCIe card
eSATA III via a $17.00, ASM1061-chipped (allegedly bootable though I have yet to try booting from it) 2-port card. This connectivity will greatly simplify and speed up transition to the new machine.

Does anyone else think DP is gonna' absolutely rip on this machine? It boots in seconds. Too bad I'm in a project right now; the real fun will just have to wait a tad.