Motu Timepiece and Monomachine sysex

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
djd_oz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Motu Timepiece and Monomachine sysex

Post by djd_oz »

Has anyone gotten sysex backup and restores to work via. the Motu MIDI Timepiece?

I've got it working for the Elektron MachineDrum but strangely enough I keep getting errors with the MonoMachine.

It is not a cable issue as I've tried swapping them.

Any ideas or areas to troubeshoot will be appreciated.
miket
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Motu Timepiece and Monomachine sysex

Post by miket »

Both Motu MidiTimePiece I & II have some sys-ex idiosyncracies, expecially with large bulk dumps (i.e. Korg Wavestation A/D in primis). I could tell about the numerous times in which a large bulk dump completely scrambled my MTP II... :?
There's no a perfect rule to always obtain a successful dump. And, to be honest, sometimes this happens with MIDI Express 128 too (although is a little more stable)... :(
My MIDI network was initially based on a couple of MidiTimePiece II, under OS9.22 and OSX 10.4.11 on a G4 1.25DP. Then I moved to a MacPro, OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard and upgraded to a 3 MIDI Express 128 system. :wink:
Usually to avoid sys-ex data errors I recommend to slow down data transmission and/or separate large bulk dumps into smaller ones, so that the device can "digest" more easily and there are no buffer full.
Another aspect to take into consideration is a MTP memory restore with its application. Large data dumps often scramble MTP internal settings, so it's always a good idea to keep a settings backup to send back when needed.
I remember that large bulk dumps were responsibile for transmission errors and after a MTP settings restore, everything went as expected.
Unfortunately, MTP are great devices but a little tricky.
Life without music would be a mistake
----------------------------------
MacPro 10core i9 10850K MacBookPro 16" i9 DP11 2 16A 2 828mk3 2 8PRE Ultralite mk5 3 MidiExpress 128
ssp
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Motu Timepiece and Monomachine sysex

Post by ssp »

Find a different sysex librarian hat allows change of port transmission speed, lower the speed and it will work. The buad rate is too high and its falling over itself to recieve all that data.

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!