to 24bit or 32bit, that is the question

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: to 24bit or 32bit, that is the question

Post by Shooshie »

Armageddon wrote:
Shooshie wrote:And there is an external reference that remains the excellent source of information that it was then.
You'll find that HERE.
FYI, Shooshie, while I of course checked out your links, all it did was muddy my waters even more in regards to what 32-bit float actually means in comparison to 24-bit. If I read it correctly, I assume that, like I thought, 32-bit float is less of an actual thing and more of an internal process that allows for higher headroom/resolution, which explains why you can hear 32-bit float files on your 24-bit AD/DA converter, even if you play these files back through something as simple as your QT player. Let's put it this way, I certainly don't think you lose anything by recording, mixing and mastering at 32-bit float, and if you wind up mixing down to a two-track external recorder, like a 1-bit DSD unit or even to analog tape, you're possibly capturing more frequencies than you would if you'd just dumped it at 24-bits. And if you're bouncing to disc at that resolution, like I do, you've got a master file with all that resolution intact. As far as I can tell, most dithering algorithms don't have a problem downconverting from 32-bit float, either.

Let me try an abstraction. I may mix a few metaphors, but bear with me, and I think I can make 32bit Float a real thing for you.

First of all: 32 bit float is actually 24 bits of loudness detail. If we were to imagine that we're drawing a picture of a mountain, and we want to see the silhouette of the mountain's profile, as the sun sets behind it. We have a roll of paper that is 24 bits high, and infinitely long. So, we draw from the highest point on the mountain down to as low as we can get within a 24 bit range. (think 24 inches tall, which if you hold it up in front of you, covers nearly all the mountain) within that 24 inches, we are able to capture every detail from the mountain's peak down to maybe a 1000 feet from its base. Most people aren't going to care what's down in that lowest part, anyway. They just want to see the majestic peak of the mountain. With 24 bit paper, we can see nearly all of that mountain. But when it goes down too far, we just conveniently have to skip that part. That's 24 bit paper.

Now we get this newfangled 32bit floating point paper. When the mountain's profile sinks down into that lower 1000 feet, guess what we do? This new paper allows us to pull on it, and it tears along a vertical line and moves the new part down to the bottom of that 1000 foot mountain valley. So, now we have 24 bit paper on which we can draw the silhouette of the valley. When the mountain's profile goes back up, you just slice the paper and slide it up to fit what you are drawing. At any given time, you have a HUGE range (24 bit paper is nothing to sneeze at. It'll capture any detail you find on the surface of that mountain's ridge). But when the mountain drops out of range, the paper just automatically slices itself and moves the next section of the drawing down. The drawing continues on it as if nothing ever happened.

Now you reach a point in the mountain where a wealthy Arab built the tallest building in the world, right there on its peak! Even your 24 bit paper cannot contain that new detail shooting up from its surface. 32 bit paper slices itself and floats the next section up so that you can adequately draw every detail of that Arab's building on its 24 bit tall surface.

We continue doing this with our mountain range until we've made a mural that wraps completely around our display room when you mount all these stretches of 24 bit paper on the wall. Linearly, as it goes around the room on the wall, you end up with a series of rectangles all touching each other at their left and right edges. But their tops and bottoms are discontinuous. This section of paper is taped to the wall way up here, and the next section that abuts it is way down here on the floor. The next section is eye-level, as are most sections. So, as the mountain range's surface leaps out of the range of our 24 bit paper (which is pretty darned tall to begin with), we simply move that portion of the paper up or down until all of it is in range.

If we had to draw the entire mountain, and not just a silhouette of its edge, we'd be in trouble. You can't draw the tallest point and the lowest point together in the exact same vertical line. But if you draw one detail in the stratosphere, then the next one at the bottom of the Grand Canyon, then our 24 bit paper (with the 8-bit instructions on how high or low to move the paper, making it 32 bits total) can capture every point along that ridge, no matter how high or low it goes. It looks like a bunch of stair-stepping rectangles, all 24 bits high, but that extra 8 bits can raise or lower each length of paper (no matter how short or long a section it is) to any height on the wall. You will always be able to continue drawing the edge of the mountain, no matter where it goes.

Another real-world example: Google Earth. Zoom out and you can see the whole planet. Zoom in and you can see what's in the barbecue grill in Billy-Bob's back yard. At each zoom, you can see all the detail that is perceivable by the human eye at that distance. You know BillyBob's sausage links are on that grill in a suburb of Nashville, but you don't expect to see it when you're looking at the entire planet. But use that 8 bit exponent to zoom in, and your 24 bits of detail can describe every bead of greasy sweat on that sausage link.

Sonically, we're describing the sound from any range -- from the sound of mitosis and meiosis in dividing cells, to the sound of exploding sunspots on the surface of stars, to that of the big bang itself. The reason it's possible is that nobody expects to hear cells dividing if their space craft is hovering over a sunspot and listening to the roar of the star.

24 bits is always describing every detail within its range. 32 bit floating point is merely that same 24 bits of extreme range, but with an added 8 bit instruction on how far out to zoom, how high to mount the graph paper on the wall as the line exceeds the range of the previous piece of graph paper, or whether to listen to microscopic sounds or listen for cosmic big-bangs. (or your wife telling you for the 10th time to take the garbage out)

This is too long, so I won't explain in detail about the benefits of doing so, but since this is the main reason for using 32bit FP, I'll summarize. Rather than rounding off the details when they're out of range, 32bit FP actually records them. When a lot of rounded off numbers get multiplied by each other in effects processing, the resulting details that we CAN hear may be quite different than the ones we'd hear if the numbers were not rounded off. Multiply them over and over, and pretty soon you're talking about simply a differently shaped line graph. It's this differently shaped line, caused by multiplying too many rounded numbers, too many times, that reaches our ears in audible form, and causes us to perceive a loss of detail at 16 or 24 bits, in comparison to the full 32 bits fp. (or 64 bits fp)

DP, recording to disk at 32 bits floating point, is simply as accurate as digital sound allows us to get. Frankly, that's a lot more accurate than anything that ever came before it. If you're listening to the Big Bang, what does it matter if you can't hear cells dividing? Nothing at all. But if you're processing those sounds such that the cell-division noises are being multiplied by themselves over and over and over, thousands of times, then the difference becomes audible.

Sorry for the long description. This is a very simple concept once you understand it, but abstract to the point of meaningless when you don't. Better to understand it, even if it takes a lot of people trying a lot of ways of explaining things.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Shooshie wrote: ........from the sound of mitosis and meiosis in dividing cells, to the sound of exploding sunspots on the surface of stars, to that of the big bang itself. The reason it's possible is that nobody expects to hear cells dividing if their space craft is hovering over a sunspot and listening to the roar of the star.

This is a very simple concept once you understand ......

Shooshie
Wow, you’re a trippy guy man, very cool!..lol...
Let’s see that post at gearslutz.....
Dave :D
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

toodamnhip wrote:
Shooshie wrote: ........from the sound of mitosis and meiosis in dividing cells, to the sound of exploding sunspots on the surface of stars, to that of the big bang itself. The reason it's possible is that nobody expects to hear cells dividing if their space craft is hovering over a sunspot and listening to the roar of the star.

This is a very simple concept once you understand ......

Shooshie
Wow, you’re a trippy guy man, very cool!..lol...
Let’s see that post at gearslutz.....
Dave :D
Are you hinting that you never fly your spaceship close to sunspots? Or that you never sit quietly and listen to cells divide? Which is it, dude? I'm getting the impression that you just haven't lived! Well, if you do those things and want to record their sounds for your grandkids, you'd best use 64 bit Floating Point.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

The Future Sound of 64 Bit Conversion? Pretty much like 22 bits, unless we super-cool our mic cables. :D

Bandwidth Thermal noise power Notes
1 Hz −174 dBm
10 Hz −164 dBm
100 Hz −154 dBm
1 kHz −144 dBm
10 kHz −134 dBm
100 kHz −124 dBm
180 kHz −121.45 dBm One LTE resource block
200 kHz −120.98 dBm One GSM channel (ARFCN)
1 MHz −114 dBm Bluetooth channel
2 MHz −111 dBm Commercial GPS channel
6 MHz −106 dBm Analog television channel
20 MHz −101 dBm WLAN 802.11 channel
40 MHz −98 dBm WLAN 802.11 40 MHz channel
1 GHz −84 dBm UWB channel

"By increasing the sampling bit depth, quantization noise is reduced so that the S/N is improved. The 'rule-of-thumb' relationship between bit depth and S/N is, for each 1-bit increase in bit depth, the S/N will increase by 6 dB.[2][3] 24-bit digital audio has a theoretical maximum S/N of 144 dB, compared to 96 dB for 16-bit; however, as of 2007[update] digital audio converter technology is limited to a S/N of about 124 dB (21-bit)[4] because of real world limitations in integrated circuit design. Still, this approximately matches the performance of the human ear.[5][6]"

Thanks Wikipedia.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote: digital audio converter technology is limited to a S/N of about 124 dB (21-bit)[4] because of real world limitations in integrated circuit design.[/b] Still, this approximately matches the performance of the human ear.
I had lunch with a bunch of telecom hardware engineers working on A/D converters and jokingly asked if they could build me a 96 channel 32 bit converter. The answer was sure they could, but as you pointed out, the circuits boards would pick up thermal noise around 21 bits, and, a more difficult engineering problem, background cosmic radiation from the "big bang" somewhere around bit 27. 24 bits seems about right.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

Shooshie wrote:DP, recording to disk at 32 bits floating point, is simply as accurate as digital sound allows us to get. Frankly, that's a lot more accurate than anything that ever came before it. If you're listening to the Big Bang, what does it matter if you can't hear cells dividing? Nothing at all. But if you're processing those sounds such that the cell-division noises are being multiplied by themselves over and over and over, thousands of times, then the difference becomes audible.

Sorry for the long description. This is a very simple concept once you understand it, but abstract to the point of meaningless when you don't. Better to understand it, even if it takes a lot of people trying a lot of ways of explaining things.
Okay, this time, I think I understood, and it also explains how a 24-bit AD/DA converter can play back a 32-bit float file. According to everything I've read above, 32-bit fp is still 24-bits of actual audio with an extra 8 bits of information (data, not samples) that addresses frequencies outside of the 24-bit dynamic range. In theory, this means that you're still rendering files, mixing projects and bouncing to disc with all that information intact. So, the million-dollar question becomes, when one is playing a 32-bit float file back through a 24-bit converter, are you actually even getting the benefits of 32-bits, or it the act of playing things back that way simply behaving like a form of dithering, in which that extra eight bits of info is being truncated by something that simply can't read it back. In other words, while the audio files in your 32-bit float DP project have that extra dynamic range, the plug-ins are operating that way and your mix is being rendered at that fidelity, are you actually hearing all that? Or are those extra bits not actually beneficial until you use a high-end dithering algorithm to parse it down to 16-(or even 24-)bits and you can hear the full, if slightly quantized, spectrum (like I stated in my earlier post, if you believe the "math" theory that it's always best to downconvert by a full half rather than a jump down from 48 kHz or 96 kHz to 44.1 kHz, then 32-bit float to 16-bits would make similar sense)? Moreover, when you record something into a 32-bit float DP project via a 24-bit converter, are those extra 8 bits actually being recorded?
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Armageddon wrote:Okay, this time, I think I understood, and it also explains how a 24-bit AD/DA converter can play back a 32-bit float file. According to everything I've read above, 32-bit fp is still 24-bits of actual audio with an extra 8 bits of information (data, not samples) that addresses frequencies outside of the 24-bit dynamic range. In theory, this means that you're still rendering files, mixing projects and bouncing to disc with all that information intact. So, the million-dollar question becomes, when one is playing a 32-bit float file back through a 24-bit converter, are you actually even getting the benefits of 32-bits, or it the act of playing things back that way simply behaving like a form of dithering, in which that extra eight bits of info is being truncated by something that simply can't read it back. In other words, while the audio files in your 32-bit float DP project have that extra dynamic range, the plug-ins are operating that way and your mix is being rendered at that fidelity, are you actually hearing all that? Or are those extra bits not actually beneficial until you use a high-end dithering algorithm to parse it down to 16-(or even 24-)bits and you can hear the full, if slightly quantized, spectrum (like I stated in my earlier post, if you believe the "math" theory that it's always best to downconvert by a full half rather than a jump down from 48 kHz or 96 kHz to 44.1 kHz, then 32-bit float to 16-bits would make similar sense)? Moreover, when you record something into a 32-bit float DP project via a 24-bit converter, are those extra 8 bits actually being recorded?
The portion of Shooshie's reply most relevant to your questions is here:
Shooshie wrote:Rather than rounding off the details when they're out of range, 32bit FP actually records them. When a lot of rounded off numbers get multiplied by each other in effects processing, the resulting details that we CAN hear may be quite different than the ones we'd hear if the numbers were not rounded off. Multiply them over and over, and pretty soon you're talking about simply a differently shaped line graph. It's this differently shaped line, caused by multiplying too many rounded numbers, too many times, that reaches our ears in audible form, and causes us to perceive a loss of detail at 16 or 24 bits, in comparison to the full 32 bits fp. (or 64 bits fp)
In short form, this really has little to do with playback as such; it has to do with accuracy of processing and mixing. Input (recorded) and output (final master) files may as well be at 24 bit because that's all you're going to record or hear played back through a converter: 24 bit resolution. 32bit fp makes sure that you have - and keep - a full 24 bits of resolution available at any internal mix volume and throughout any processing performed by any plugin that changes signal amplitude (which nearly all do in one way or another). It minimizes rounding off (truncation) within a session during any of these intermediate steps.

So to take advantage of this in DP:

- Your starting material will be 24 bit

- Print any internal stems, bus submixes, or bounced tracks with effects to 32bit fp

- At mixdown, print to 32bit fp if your mastering engineer can accept that format; if they can't, or if you're delivering the final product yourself, then to 24 bit.
rhythm_kitchen

Post by rhythm_kitchen »

Can anyone explain then if these least significant bits that might have been truncated but are now preserved, what if any audible effect it would have for non realworld recordings (such as virtual space) when mastered?

Isn't now the limitation reverb tail reporting?
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Shooshie wrote: Well, if you do those things and want to record their sounds for your grandkids, you'd best use 64 bit Floating Point.

Shoosh
, Ahh...something to look forward to,The future does indeed look bright
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

rhythm_kitchen wrote:Can anyone explain then if these least significant bits that might have been truncated but are now preserved, what if any audible effect it would have for non realworld recordings (such as virtual space) when mastered?

Isn't now the limitation reverb tail reporting?
Not sure I understand the question. It affects fidelity during mixing/processing w/fx; the source of the audio (i.e., recorded with a microphone vs. generated algorithmically) shouldn't make any difference (i.e., the tail of a real reverberation gets just as soft as that of an algorithmic one).
rhythm_kitchen

Post by rhythm_kitchen »

Ck out the 2nd to the last paragraph here http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Bit_Depth#32_Bit

From the paragraph above 32 fp as described will prevent bit loss when maximizing an already compressed mix.

When it comes to the least significant bits I'm totally baffled how fp improves the fidelity of the quiet passages other than an improved rounding off of numbers.

But I can imagine restoring peaks that have been 'clipped'.

Hopefully Arthur C. Clarke was wrong and we don't have a floating point fractal computer in our right brain or soon we'll be embracing the Sumerian number system.
codehead
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by codehead »

Shooshie wrote:And there is an external reference that remains the excellent source of information that it was then.
You'll find that HERE.
Taking a quick look, the only thing I noticed wrong was in the quantization error for floating point. He adds an extra bit of precision for rounding, but that's not right. Rounding is identical to truncation except for a half-bit shift (to round 9.x to a whole number, you add 0.5 and toss the decimal part, for instance). So, you get 150.5 (because it's really 6.02 dB per bit) for 32-bit float and -325 for 64-bit float.
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

rhythm_kitchen wrote:From the paragraph above 32 fp as described will prevent bit loss when maximizing an already compressed mix.

When it comes to the least significant bits I'm totally baffled how fp improves the fidelity of the quiet passages other than an improved rounding off of numbers.
It improves fidelity relative to the same 24 bit fixed-point file processed and subsequently either 1. increased in volume again by fader move, compression, maximization, etc; or 2. mixed with another track, where the summed track is then a totaling of approximated (rounded or dithered) data instead of original 24 bit-deep data. As long as fp is used, there's no dithering (which adds noise) nor truncation (which likewise loses precision). Making either of those louder again, by any means at all, is an intrinsically lossy process.
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

jloeb wrote:In short form, this really has little to do with playback as such; it has to do with accuracy of processing and mixing. Input (recorded) and output (final master) files may as well be at 24 bit because that's all you're going to record or hear played back through a converter: 24 bit resolution. 32bit fp makes sure that you have - and keep - a full 24 bits of resolution available at any internal mix volume and throughout any processing performed by any plugin that changes signal amplitude (which nearly all do in one way or another). It minimizes rounding off (truncation) within a session during any of these intermediate steps.

So to take advantage of this in DP:

- Your starting material will be 24 bit

- Print any internal stems, bus submixes, or bounced tracks with effects to 32bit fp

- At mixdown, print to 32bit fp if your mastering engineer can accept that format; if they can't, or if you're delivering the final product yourself, then to 24 bit.
That was pretty much what I was asking and pretty much what I assumed was happening -- that 32-bit fp was an internal-to-DP (or any other DAW processing 32-bit float) format that mainly aided the mixing and DSP processes with higher resolution and more headroom (or, rather, more perceived headroom in the form of additional data beyond 24-bits). It's fascinating that 32-bit fp is actually an enhanced 24-bit format!
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Armageddon wrote:It's fascinating that 32-bit fp is actually an enhanced 24-bit format!
And it's a format that's very well-suited for computers. It's like an abacus. One group of bits describes the fine detail resolved at 24 bits, while the other group tells how many decimal points to shift it up or down.