Recording an old Record

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Pappy725
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Recording an old Record

Post by Pappy725 »

I am trying to record a record my uncle made back in the '40's. He passed away last year and his daughter told me about this record he made back when he was trying to make it as a singer in California. There were two records and he threw one away, but my aunt gave the second to my cousin Sue and told her not to tell him she had it. I want to digitize it so I can put it on a CD and let the family listen to it. Sue told me she hasn't played it in 25 years or more.

The label of the disc says "Audition", Soundcraft Full Spectrum. It also says Reeves Soundcraft Corporation, 10 East 52nd St., New York 22, New York. There is a chip in the vinyl(?) on one side and it looks as if the platter is made of aluminum or some other metal. My daughter works at the local radio station and is looking for a turntable to help me out with this, if that fails, I have a Telefunken Hi-Fi with radio, turntable and it used to have a reel to reel tape recorder also that I will play it on to record it.

I guess I am looking for advice on cleaning, tips, and anything else any of y'all can think of that will help me not mess this up.

Thanks in advance,

Pappy
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)
2.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, OS High Sierra 10.13.2, DP8.07, 256GB SSD
828mkII, 8Pre, Alesis M1 Active Mk2, Ext. FW drives, Yamaha fretless bass, Kay upright bass, Wechter acoustic/electric, trombone, baritone and a proclivity for polka music. (With sufficient quantities of beer) and I play country music.
kgdrum

Recording an old Record

Post by kgdrum »

If its a 78 you need a 78 stylus
Rega & some other turntable companies makes a TT specifically for 78rpm records.
An old client of mine Gary Giddens (jazz critic) has an extensive 78 collection & I found the Rega for him.
A modern tt with a modern record stylus will ruin the record even if it plays 78 rpm.

Sounds like a test pressing my uncle was a classical pianist & had the same kind from the same place,I can't remember what speed they were, his were from the late '50s.

I have a boxed set collection of Bessie Smith 78's I've never played for the same reason and got them from a friend (gulp)
40 years ago!!! ;-)
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Pappy725

Re: Recording an old Record

Post by Pappy725 »

Well, the Telefunken was built in the same era, so it may have the right stylus. Of course, that makes it, um, uh, (doing the math), 70 some odd years old. My daughter located a turntable, but I'm not sure they are 78's. I found some info on the web about the Reeves Soundcraft company, and this was like the third level out of four of the quality discs they made. It is aluminum. My Uncle Chuck didn't write anything on the label, so I have no idea exactly how old these are.

I think these were demo records, and damn, they must have been expensive to do. I just think about how easy we've got it now days and they must have really wanted to do music.

Well, thanks for the input, I plan to be very careful with this project.

Pappy
828mkII, 8Pre, Alesis M1 Active Mk2, Ext. FW drives, Yamaha fretless bass, Kay upright bass, Wechter acoustic/electric, trombone, baritone and a proclivity for polka music. (With sufficient quantities of beer) and I play country music.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

For much less than the amount this could cost you, there are studios that specialize in this kind of recovery.

OTOH, if you want to get into the recovery business, this pressing sounds like a great place to start.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Pappy725

Post by Pappy725 »

mikehalloran wrote:OTOH, if you want to get into the recovery business, this pressing sounds like a great place to start.
Yeah, I'm kinda leaning that way. I'm getting close to retirement from my day job and I want to do more with music. Any music, any way, so this might be a great learning experience. And we're never too old to learn, are we?
Thanks, Mike,

Pappy
resolectric
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by resolectric »

Pappy725 wrote:...it looks as if the platter is made of aluminum or some other metal. ...
It's probably not advisable to play this with a regular stylus.
What you have seems to be a pressing master.
I suggest you contact an experienced mastering studio and engineer, someone who works with lathe cutting and who's used to prepare masters for vinyl pressing.
Paulo Miranda - AMPstudio
Silence is the new loud.
©
Pappy725

Post by Pappy725 »

resolectric wrote:It's probably not advisable to play this with a regular stylus.
What you have seems to be a pressing master.
Well, my cousin remembers playing it at some point when she was younger. And I looked up the company on the internet and found that they made discs for demos that were meant to be played on normal turntables. My cousin is getting antsy and I need to try to get this captured.

Thanks for the input.

Pappy
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Well, if you want to treat it as an archive master of some importance, pro treatment is not ill advised. However, if you're not as concerned about that, then you could record it at 33 or 45 RPM and bump up the speed in a good app (MachFive 3 IRCAM would do a nice job, I'm sure).

You could clean up a lot of hiss and rumble in DP or with some good cleaning plugs or apps as well. My oldest sister was in a well known chick group in the 60s and had a few of her early masters as a soloist. One was in very bad condition and I managed to clean it up with a standard needle on a 78 player I found in a thrift store for $10. A few years later I actually found an identical (pristine) master of the song on eBay! :shock: Haven't touched it except to open it.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Pappy725

Post by Pappy725 »

The only importance of the record is to the family. Until I heard about this at my uncle's memorial service, I never knew he sang or had any aspirations to be a singer in his youth. I'm curious to hear what he sounded like and to be able to capture that for our family. I mean, this had to be fairly expensive back in the 40's when this was recorded.

Pappy
resolectric

Post by resolectric »

Pappy725 wrote:...the platter is made of aluminum or some other metal. ...
This should be your main concern.
Everything else is academic.
Silence is the new loud.
©
Pappy725

Post by Pappy725 »

resolectric wrote:
Pappy725 wrote:...the platter is made of aluminum or some other metal. ...
This should be your main concern.
Yes, but it is coated in a vinyl?/plastic? material that looks like a normal record. Some of the material is chipped off of the edge on one side of the record and that's how I can tell the platter is metal.

Pappy
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

It sounds like an acetate or lacquer, a one-off cut and not a pressing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetate_disc

They wear out quickly!!

Cheers

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
resolectric

Post by resolectric »

stephentayler wrote:It sounds like an acetate or lacquer, a one-off cut and not a pressing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetate_disc

They wear out quickly!!

Cheers

Stephen
There. What Stephen said.

Instead of definitely damaging or ruining your one-of record, and because on the internet there are always so many answers for everything, get out of the internet and contact a good mastering engineer that knows what he's doing.
Silence is the new loud.
©
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

Also, beware of using any cleaning products or solvents, remember this is not vinyl!

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
Pappy725

Post by Pappy725 »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the sharing of knowledge and concern for old audio artifacts. It is an antique. I'll check the article I saw about the company again and see if I can find anything out about it. I'm 75-80 miles away from San Antonio and Austin here in Texas, so there should be someone that's capable of doing this nearby.

This is a recording of my Uncle Chuck Austin. His wife, my Aunt Sister, (yes, I live in Texas)
used to call me by first and middle name: STEPHEN EDWARD! to differentiate between my cousin of the same age also named Steven.

Thanks again,

Pappy
actually my name is Stephen Edward Campbell.