50% off KONTAKT and 10 other instruments

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rhythm_kitchen
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 50% off KONTAKT and 10 other instruments

Post by rhythm_kitchen »

Lot's of orphaned individual soundbanks and instruments floating about.

Anyone with Maschine 1.6 or 1.7 working?
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

Kontakt 5 is great and you will need it if you buy any of the newer libraries out from Cinesamples, 8Dio, etc..

I took advantage of the 50% off and picked up Heavyocity Damage. I almost bought this 6 months ago at full price, so this was a no-brainer for me.
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

stubbsonic wrote:
I have Kontakt 4 and would like to upgrade to v5, but that shows up in the cart as $119 (full price). So the 50% off sale only applies to full purchases, not updates-- unless I have that wrong. But I couldn't figure it out.
I got an e-mail today from NI. It now says "50% off updates, upgrades, and crossgrades until July 31st".

This has suddenly become much more "interestinger".
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Still, not updating until Komplete 9, since I have K7. I figure Komplete purchases are like iPhones: best to skip a generation between updates.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Killahurts wrote:Last time I upgraded Komplete, it went to half off 2 weeks later. They would not do anything for me. So I'm kind of waiting for it to hit rock bottom, so to speak. :wink:

:wink:
Frodo wrote:I got an e-mail today from NI. It now says "50% off updates, upgrades, and crossgrades until July 31st".
Well then, there it is! Just picked it up. :lol:

Thanks for the heads up Frodo, for some reason I didn't get the email this time.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
jamesdunlopmusic

Post by jamesdunlopmusic »

I went on to just get the upgrade to Kontakt 5 for €50 but ended up upgrading to Komplete 8 for €99 or so! Studio drummer and west africa now in the pocket as well! :dance:
Saying that any thoughts on West Africa?
Mac Pro 2.8 ghz Quad Core, 32gb RAM, DP 8.07, OS X 10.8.5
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

West Africa is a great tool, with a wide variety of instruments... solo grooves using a single instrument, ensemble grooves, and individual hits in many tonalities. I just used it extensively on a video game score where it stood in for Pacific Islands-style drumming, and it killed. Now I'm doing a thing for another game with a Mayan/Incan/Aztec thing, and the West Africa drums are, again, perfect.

One thing I really like about it: African drumming is very different from my own highly-Westernized sense of time, so the (apparently AFAIK) authentic rhythms force me to think in new patterns.

You'll dig it.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Gravity Jim wrote:West Africa is a great tool, with a wide variety of instruments... solo grooves using a single instrument, ensemble grooves, and individual hits in many tonalities. I just used it extensively on a video game score where it stood in for Pacific Islands-style drumming, and it killed. Now I'm doing a thing for another game with a Mayan/Incan/Aztec thing, and the West Africa drums are, again, perfect.

One thing I really like about it: African drumming is very different from my own highly-Westernized sense of time, so the (apparently AFAIK) authentic rhythms force me to think in new patterns.

You'll dig it.

+1
I LOVE West Africa it's so well done,musical,flexible and sounds amazing.
I've been bugging NI to develop a similar library based on Afro-Cuban/Salsa Percussion.
I'd buy full price instantly if it was the same quality & I hate buying list prices! ;-)
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

kgdrum wrote:
I LOVE West Africa it's so well done,musical,flexible and sounds amazing.
I've been bugging NI to develop a similar library based on Afro-Cuban/Salsa Percussion.
I'd buy full price instantly if it was the same quality & I hate buying list prices! ;-)

Roger that! That Cuban salsa thing, done as well as West Africa, would be a no-brainer for me, too.

West Africa combined with "Haka," a collection of samples of Pacific Islander chants recorded on location but he guy who did the music for "Survivor" on CBS, created amazing layered performances that made even my wife sit up and say, "Wow! How did you DO that?" :)
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Tempting... very tempting, at $114. However, besides Kontakt 5 and Guitar Rig 5, the only new instruments I see are Retro Machines, Studio Drummer, and West Africa. All sound very good, however, when you consider the barrage that every new Komplete package offers, this is not that much. Plus, I gig my laptop, with a 500GB drive, and every new Kontakt package requires a whole bunch of space. They usually do the 50% off deal during the holidays, and by that time, they might have Komplete 9 out.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Prime Mover wrote:Tempting... very tempting, at $114. However, besides Kontakt 5 and Guitar Rig 5, the only new instruments I see are Retro Machines, Studio Drummer, and West Africa. All sound very good, however, when you consider the barrage that every new Komplete package offers, this is not that much. Plus, I gig my laptop, with a 500GB drive, and every new Kontakt package requires a whole bunch of space. They usually do the 50% off deal during the holidays, and by that time, they might have Komplete 9 out.

lol & you don't think that's worth $114???

I suspected a while back that you decided that you were not going to go for K8 at any cost and now I think my hunch was correct,really Prime that's not worth $114?
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

kgdrum wrote:I suspected a while back that you decided that you were not going to go for K8 at any cost and now I think my hunch was correct,really Prime that's not worth $114?
On the contrary, it's a great deal for many people. But actually, I'm not really sure I would load K9 even if it were FREE. That's not a slight against it at all, it's just problematic for me, personally. Kontakt 5 uses a new format, which means that it re-installs the entire library again. I have a 500GB drive on my laptop and it's already more than half full. I do all my live performance out of my laptop, and these days, much of my recording and tracking. There's a limited number of generations of Komplete that 500GB is going to hold, so I might as well space it out a bit.

One possibility (and probably what I'll do in the future) is to install K5 on it, but not the bulk of the library (only the new stuff), and use the K4 patches in the K5 engine (which I'm guessing works, since K4 can run everything back to K2, at least). That would be an option. From what I hear, the only difference between the K4 and K5 patches is that K5 uses a non-lossy compressed audio format (like FLAC). In theory this would be great if I could deep-six my existing K2-4 libraries, but since Kontakt never has a function to update all instances to a new engine, I have to keep K2-4 around for legacy (or not so legacy) projects.

Seriously, if they had a function to update any old instances automatically, I would be there in a heart beat! But as it is, it's just a new waste of space :(

And frankly, I'm pretty happy with my VIs at the moment. I have other things I need to put my paycheck towards: mainly hardware (mics, maybe a PA). So even at $114, this would be an impulse buy.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

just playing with you a bit ;-)
I understand the hd space limitations,I just added another sample drive 1.5tb +1tb so I'm set for a while.
For me K5 sounds better than K4
Better filters and improved time stretch algorithms.
For those 2 reasons I was happy to upgrade from 4,also some of the newer libraries require K5 now.
Not to mention all of the other great Komplete content.........
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

kgdrum wrote:For me K5 sounds better than K4
Better filters and improved time stretch algorithms.
I've heard that. I get the feeling that those improvements will be heard even with the K4 library, as long as you're using the K5 engine, since the improvements are to the existing filters/time stretching (I might be wrong though). So if I did buy K5, I would probably not bother installing the new library, with the exception of Retro Machines and Studio Drummer, which require K5.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

rhythm_kitchen

Post by rhythm_kitchen »

In the new West Africa collection is there an UDU drum? Nigerian clay UDU?
http://artdrum.com/UDU_DRUMMING.HTM

Any 6/8 over 4/4 grooves?