The free VI's/plugs list.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The free VI's/plugs list.

Post by Phil O »

New version of Voxengo Span out:
http://www.voxengo.com/productversionch ... ersion=2.2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Has anyone mentioned the GSI Wat Kat? Love it.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
rjulian

Post by rjulian »

Basic and very easy to use EQ for quick adjustments

http://www.kuassa.com/products/basiq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One love
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I would like to add something to this whole thread.
Be careful about what you decide to download!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If a “free” product is made by a company that goes out of business in 2 years, (because it didn't make enough money of course, lol), then your “MASTER” DP file will be broken the first moment an OSx upgrade or DP update renders it so!!!! This is due to the fact that There will be NO company there to update the “free” plug.

Beware.

Personally, I don;t just take every free piece of software, I look at the company to “guess” at whether they will be around in 5 -10 years.
Or, of course, you can just burn every freeware plug to audio to be safe,
But be careful. “Free” can be costly.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I fully agree, Hipster. This is one of the reasons I've always "pushed" for an ever-greater collection within DP; I simply don't trust all those companies to stay in business.

Funny, I've a huge collection of freebies but am loathe to employ any of them in a project (all this is "one day" of course - still grindin' away at equip. purchases & issues & vox booth)...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

monkey man wrote:I fully agree, Hipster. This is one of the reasons I've always "pushed" for an ever-greater collection within DP; I simply don't trust all those companies to stay in business.

Funny, I've a huge collection of freebies but am loathe to employ any of them in a project (all this is "one day" of course - still grindin' away at equip. purchases & issues & vox booth)...
I will add something here.
The one place to REALLY be careful with freeware is on ANY master bus or master aux bus.
Or, as a master effect for multiple instruments.

I used to use this great little freeware compressor on drum buses. That freeware bit me when it didn’t port over to universal binary. I even heard personally from the developer’s assistant. The developer went off to do another projects and that was that!

If I had used the compressor on one guitar, that would have been a small thing, but to use it on the drum bus meant that ALL drums sounded wrong now.

So much for “free”.

Safest use is on an instrument BEFORE mixing, burning it into audio first and then mixing.
Next safest, as an effect on ONE instrument where you can burn the effect in.

As you move from there into more and more centralized usages where several instruments utilize the freeware in a way that cannot easily be bounced to audio, you are more and more holding your master hostage to future software problems should the freeware not be supported one day.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Fully agreed, Hipster; good points man.

If I may, I'd like to guess which plug that was. I reckon it was a Fish Fillet, probably BlockFish as you mentioned drums (I'm assuming compression). If it were gating then perhaps FloorFish, but from memory Spit and Block were by far the most popular of the three. I believe all three remained PPC and haven't been updated for 7 or 8 years. Shame really, but that's the way the crumbler cooks, as per our collective warning to all and sundry.

Stay Hip, Ster. :wink:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

monkey man wrote:Fully agreed, Hipster; good points man.

If I may, I'd like to guess which plug that was. I reckon it was a Fish Fillet, probably BlockFish as you mentioned drums (I'm assuming compression). If it were gating then perhaps FloorFish, but from memory Spit and Block were by far the most popular of the three. I believe all three remained PPC and haven't been updated for 7 or 8 years. Shame really, but that's the way the crumbler cooks, as per our collective warning to all and sundry.

Stay Hip, Ster. :wink:
You guessed it man, Block fish. Well done.
That was the coolest freeware compressor plug for drums and a PERFECT example of freeware turning to nightmare..lol
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
frankymax

Post by frankymax »

A nice, simple compressor:

http://www.klanghelm.com/DC1A.html
DP9/Windows7-64bit-32GBRAM Intel i7-3e930K CPU@3.2GHz/Lynx Aurora 8/VSL Ext.Lib//Komplete8/Spectrasonics/KorgLegDig/Valhalla/WavesMus2/iZotope/PSP/CytomicGlue/NomadPP/Plug&Mix/DynSpecM/KurzPC88/LexiNatBundle/RelabLX480/Kush/FabFilter/Finale/Sibelius/PacificaMicPre/Lawson/Neumann/Peluso/AKG/SeNeve/Lucas Mics/Genelec1032A
http://frankmacchia.net/
frankymax

Post by frankymax »

Blue Cat's Freeware Plug-ins Pack 2:

http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Bu ... ewarePack/
DP9/Windows7-64bit-32GBRAM Intel i7-3e930K CPU@3.2GHz/Lynx Aurora 8/VSL Ext.Lib//Komplete8/Spectrasonics/KorgLegDig/Valhalla/WavesMus2/iZotope/PSP/CytomicGlue/NomadPP/Plug&Mix/DynSpecM/KurzPC88/LexiNatBundle/RelabLX480/Kush/FabFilter/Finale/Sibelius/PacificaMicPre/Lawson/Neumann/Peluso/AKG/SeNeve/Lucas Mics/Genelec1032A
http://frankmacchia.net/
sonicflight
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: The free VI's/plugs list. (General MIDI Virtual Instrume

Post by sonicflight »

Anyone know of a basic General MIDI Virtual Instrument...? To work under MAC and Lion..?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

There's DLSMusicDevice that comes with OS X. Should be in the list of VIs you see when you create an Instrument track, under "Apple".
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
zed

Post by zed »

Hey folks,

UVI Workstation has just come out with a new version (2.0.4) and a free plugin to go with it:

http://blog.uvi.net/sounds-instruments/ ... -piano-09/

You have to Like them on Facebook to get the plugin. Even though you probably don't have to have the plugin, it is a cool emulation and visually emulates an old Roland keyboard as well. UVI Workstation (like Kontakt in recent years) can now allow for completely customizable interfaces for each library/instrument that you load. It definitely helps to improve the user experience.

Enjoy!

BTW, there is a wee little bug in this version of UVI Workstation where control of the instrument interface sometimes becomes non-responsive after loading a new instrument and you have to simply close the GUI and then open it again. It is only a 2 second diversion and a minor inconvenience. I'm sure the next version will fix that, but I don't think you can use this free plugin without upgrading your version of the Workstation. Not sure if this issue is limited to DP users or not.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
barreltone

Post by barreltone »

DDMF has announced that its ColourEQ plug-in has now become freeware.
Mac Pro 8 core Nehalem,OS X 10.6.8, MOTU 896HD, DP 7.24, Finale 2009, MSI, Izotope Trash, Spectron, Ozone 4, Alloy, Rx2
AnthonyS
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by AnthonyS »

Anyone seen the new Blue Cat freebies?

http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Bu ... ewarePack/
MacBook Pro 15" 2G QuadCore i7,8G RAM, 20"Intel iMac 2.4Ghz , 4G RAM.OSX 10.8.3 on both, DP 7.24, MOTU 828MK3, AudioBox 1818, KRK Rokit 6G2, Omnisphere 1.5, Komplete 8, Amplitube 2&3, SampleTank, Sonik Synth2, SampleMoog, SampleTron, Ivory 2, Philharmonik, EWQL MOR, SC, SOG, SD2, Reason 6, Waves, McDSP, Slate Digital VCC, FGX, Sound Toys.