Weird: new cloud-based "DAW" for straight-to-Facebook record

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mhschmieder »

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2012/06/ ... recording/

I find this both humourous and terrifying at the same time. :-)

I can't imagine how anyone would find this a convenient and ergonomic way to write and record, and why people who are creatively inclined would want to compose in real time to Facebook without a chance to first review what they've come up with, polish it, mix/master, etc.!
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Give it away for free boys. Please! Art which costs nothing has no value and will be just as easily dismissed. That's just stupid. Idiotic. Retarded. Simplistic. Lame.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
twistedtom

Re: Weird: new cloud-based "DAW" for straight-to-Facebook re

Post by twistedtom »

I see a lot of art that is crap, just junk put to gether and it sells. If you toss out enough BS you can sell any thing. :vomit:
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Yeah that looks pretty lame & I'm sure it will probably sound horrible.......

One developer that might be able to pull off a similar concept but in a more interesting way is Ohm Force.
These guys are IMO brilliant and they are always thinking outside the box.
The new product(still beta) is called Ohm Studio. http://www.ohmforce.com/HomePage.do
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
rhythm_kitchen

Post by rhythm_kitchen »

Ohm My God Ω just the names of these plug-ins alone are almost worth the 299 quid!

I think this online collaboration idea is more of an iMaschine beat making deal. iMaschine to MIDI type 1 or 2? (GM) hosted on Farcebook's servers.

But if a friend invites you as a keyboard player to write some changes how to monitor their beats in realtime? Your ikontakt sampler would play them back delayed or timestamped? Have they solved that without installing a client app? If so then it's actually pretty exciting news.

Seems to me the idea is to keep everyone online and not offline. IOS 6 feeds MIDI to Farcebooks servers. Your friend logs in on a USB roll out keyboard attached to an iPAD, voices chords, writes the changes and records take 1, 2, etc

So is there an archive of all takes or can takes be overwritten?

Is the idea to see how a song's melodic/harmonic content and rhythm is created? If so that is an interesting experiment in social media and the creative process.

IOS 6 is sandboxing iMaschine, iMound samples and this is helping to prevent malware? Possibly that is the Next Step for the 600+ million. Beatnik already has a sample format for voice. Is this formant based?

Now even vocalists can fly the friendly icloud. Thomas Dolby worked tirelessly on Beatnik and yet here we are in 4G still jamming MIDI.

Years ago I saw these roll out capacitance sensing silkscreened keyboards. Don't know if anyone is making em still (who knows when an iCloud jam beckons).

What's next? Ohm-Powered or Beatnik-powered robovoice step recording vocals on Facebook.
Last edited by rhythm_kitchen on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

I don't buy into the Ohm Studio concept but their plugs are BRILLIANT!
& like I said IF anyone could pull off the online collaborative concept this company might be original enough to pull it off.
I don't think we're there yet technologically but conceptually I do think it's an interesting idea.
Ohm Force IMO is actually one of the most innovative developers in the marketplace.
Ohmicide(distortion) ,Quad Frohmage (filters) & The Ohmboyz (delay)are 3 plugs I go to with regularity.
Their Symptohm Melohman synth is wickedly brilliant.
Here's a link of some other users who also like the Ohm Force approach.

http://www.ohmforce.com/ViewPage.do?key=users

;-)
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
rhythm_kitchen

Post by rhythm_kitchen »

(rant version)

What we may end up with is iMaschine on NI's site. Figure on Propellerheards site. Etc. But wouldn't Soundcloud be an more neutral solution to publish? Likewise will iMaschine samples be compatible with Soundation or Sound Studio 2?

Seems the market has driven Facebook to support the iPAD MIDI app. It's an interesting concept to expand upon. What will become of it is anybody's guess.

Neither is it surprising to me that musicians are a bit uncomfortable of poking around on a keyboard that is transmitting to a semi-public site. Yet that doesn't seem to be the case either with this Soundation, Figure, Garageband, iMaschine or Sound Studio 2.

A partial list http://www.ipadmusicapps.ca/category/ip ... maker-apps

So far only Garageband, Sound Studio 2 and Soundation support CoreMIDI in/out.

Anyone recal Mick Fleetwood's demo at the Atari Booth, Winter NAMM 88-89?
The upshot is a layperson who is not a competent keyboardist or guitarist can still write a decent song with a minimum of programming.

What Atari developed was a constrain to key or mode chording and riffing instrument, realtime recorder as well as a harmonizer and velocity sensitive step sequencer. They was a very intuitive GUI with an assignable footswitch, expression pedal, even MIDI fx.

He was able to create some nice fluid grooves with two mallets and a few footpedals.

Sadly at $4.95 per app there are not many realistic options for velocity sensitive triggers the masses can afford? Yet it is possible to overdub cc data later (or pencil in cc data) with any type of device capable of transmitting cc data.

Ironically as a result of the difficulty in implementing an adhoc MIDI network and lack of Bluetooth MIDI the next best thing is to either publish online or record online. Either way would open the door to world-wide collaboration.

What is needed is a neutral protocol for servers to load or upload soundbanks with either Type 1 or 0 MIDI files so friends can monitor a work in progress or contribute their own parts over the web. Beatnik was able to playback MIDI and samples preloaded to your web browser. Don't know exactly how this could work except perhaps to build in a networking client to these iPad sequencers.

This hasn't been done to my knowledge but heck, up until a few weeks ago I thought these apps were toys. That is until I checked out iMaschine.

Hopefully all coreMIDI events recorded on Facebook's iPad app are reordered by timestamp. If not then all is lost. I know there are competing timestamp formats but does this really make sense in 2012 with HTML-5?

I think Bucky Fuller would be pleased to see the World Wide Web used in this progressive manner. Not quite the great game he invisioned. You know Soundcloud is actually a great addition to the global community. I don't think competing with Soundcloud is neccessary or wise. It would take a lot of money to implement a collaborative online music site and Facebook may be just the ticket.

I may even join (as if they care).

Beatnik brought out of retirement! Yippi.

(sorry. end of rant)
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

It's all well and good to have these new tools and ideas - some of which push the laws of physics.

But who wants to listen to it?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro