MOTU has to get VI handling (and CPU usage) on point NOW...

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
frankf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by frankf »

How do you all find the time to check out all these DAWs? Do you get any work done? :) It boggles my mind that you learn how to use several DAWs and I've been around a bit and spent lots of time learning new tech. More power to you. Fortunately DP has worked well for me since Studio Vision days. I've been able to work with its quirks and work with PT studios. It's my main creative support tool and by now I do what I need to do and DP stays out of my way, which is enough for me. I admit I've made a living writing and playing music for a long enough time where I can own a decent (but not current) Mac Pro with a lot of RAM and VEP5, and that is certainly an advantage as the tech world progresses and commercial demands are greater. But the tech, although necessary, is secondary to creating music for me. There is so much that can be done without the latest and greatest. 64 bit DP8 will certainly be a performance enhancing upgrade.
Frank
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: MOTU has to get VI handling (and CPU usage) on point NOW

Post by James Steele »

toodamnhip wrote:It appears I have been slam dunked..err...I mean drunked....lol...
Thanks for having a sense of humor. I kid... I kid... But that's TWO beers, and imported. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

James Steele wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:It appears I have been slam dunked..err...I mean drunked....lol...
Thanks for having a sense of humor. I kid... I kid... But that's TWO beers, and imported. :)
You got it Bubba....
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

frankf wrote:How do you all find the time to check out all these DAWs?
That's a loaded question, Frank. As much as people don't want to hear this, when I see a member who lists every DAW and plug under the Sun it makes me wonder if that actually bought all that stuff, or simply "borrowed" it. IOW, how many of those posters are actually using pirated copies, or are they actually doing well enough (or are flippant enough with their money regardless of resources) to go buy all that stuff?

Let's not pretend that they all bought all those apps and plugs. Clearly, more than a few who list everything have not actually paid for everything. Of course, that's grounds for expulsion from this site if confirmed by the moderator.

Of course, I've bought programs that I've disliked and replaced them with ones that I did. When I was not happy with Finale, I BOUGHT Sibelius. When it was worse (IMO) I sold Sibelius along with the license and deleted it from my HD.

Just sayin...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

I have enough trouble figuring out just DP, anyone who can really find their way through the all of these different DAWs more than superficially I envy , I know I don't have the patience or drive to figure out the twist and turns of multiple DAWs.
I don't really agree MLC with the assumption that most of the DAW polygamists are using cracked copies.
Logic Pro is only $199,The Studio1 cross-grade is $299 and R*>*_r is either $60 or $225.
I routinely spend those amounts on VI's and Plugs without hesitation,I suspect many users do the same to get a taste of some DAW "strange" when they get the itch and their eye starts to wander....
Some users are compulsive slutz for plugs and VI's(me) & I suspect some peoples compulsions are more DAW oriented.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
frankf

Post by frankf »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
That's a loaded question, Frank.

Just sayin...
No loaded intention. I know (younger) engineers and interns working at studios who have to learn several DAWs to work there. Unfortunately DP is not high on the "required" list. At least here in NYC. That said, I'm sure the unscrupulous abound.
Frank
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
That's a loaded question, Frank. As much as people don't want to hear this, when I see a member who lists every DAW and plug under the Sun it makes me wonder if that actually bought all that stuff, or simply "borrowed" it. IOW, how many of those posters are actually using pirated copies, or are they actually doing well enough (or are flippant enough with their money regardless of resources) to go buy all that stuff?

Let's not pretend that they all bought all those apps and plugs. Clearly, more than a few who list everything have not actually paid for everything. Of course, that's grounds for expulsion from this site if confirmed by the moderator.

Of course, I've bought programs that I've disliked and replaced them with ones that I did. When I was not happy with Finale, I BOUGHT Sibelius. When it was worse (IMO) I sold Sibelius along with the license and deleted it from my HD.

Just sayin...
Lord lord lord.

The last refuge of one who can't debate the points: subtley (or not so subtley) question the integrity of the messenger(s).

You even stacked the deck. If they have a lot of plugins, most likely they are either pirates, profligate, or careless with their cash.

Really? Wow.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Yeah, that's ridiculous. Buying every app under the sun is still way cheaper than buying a small board, a 24 track and tape stock for a year used to be not that long ago, or even four ADATS and a board. Heck, one good mic pre sets you back further than buying every DAW available for Mac. It's not hard for a professional or even a dedicated amateur to afford buying a large selection of plug-ins and DAWs.

Which makes your post, Michael, pretty insulting and definitely baseless. I'd say especially inappropriate coming from a "moderator" of this board.
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
MIDI Life Crisis

You don't agree. That's fine, but to say the post speaks to my integrity is boneheaded. Hey, if your posting from the USA we have something called free speech. Call me a cynic - totally accurate, but lacking integrity? Wtf is THAT about.

I knew some would be offended. So be it, but clearly people can and do illegally download this stuff. Or do you guys think that isn't a true statement?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

I don't know or think the comments were addressing your integrity but more likely your objectivity.
As Kubi stated picking up 1 or 2 DAWs in this competitive market with the options of cross-grades and aggressive marketing by the companies is very inexpensive.
I'm in between jobs, not rich and I bought Heavyocity Damage the other day without hesitation for almost the same price as LogicPro,2 weeks ago I bought Arturias Oberheim for more than the cost of R*.:^r and 3 weeks ago I bought Broken Wurli on sale,that's $369 in the last few weeks spent,I could of gotten the other 2 DAWs for $269.
So I agree trying different DAWs is a relatively inexpensive road to proceed.
I just don't have the patience to learn other approachs.
Sure some users are using cracks but to just assume all or most of these DAW-Slutz are using cracks is a bit baseless and judgmental IMO.

I do understand Franks comment on who has time to actually learn all of these different DAWs, I know I don't.

;-)
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:You don't agree. That's fine, but to say the post speaks to my integrity is boneheaded. Hey, if your posting from the USA we have something called free speech. Call me a cynic - totally accurate, but lacking integrity? Wtf is THAT about.

I knew some would be offended. So be it, but clearly people can and do illegally download this stuff. Or do you guys think that isn't a true statement?
HA! Now frame the argument into something that wasn't stated! Bravo.

Of course that is a true statement.

And it also wasn't the point.

The point of my post was the poor gambit you played in your implied attack against folks' integrity by the (not so subtle) broad brush.

I don't want to get into an argument about it. Your right to offend is not in question. I just thought it to be poor form and stated as much. That's all.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

MIDI Life Crisis

<sigh>
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

James, if there were ever a thread that should be locked closed immediately, this one is it. The following has absolutely no basis in fact and the fact that it's been posted by a Moderator makes it all the worse....
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:As much as people don't want to hear this, when I see a member who lists every DAW and plug under the Sun it makes me wonder if that actually bought all that stuff, or simply "borrowed" it. IOW, how many of those posters are actually using pirated copies, or are they actually doing well enough (or are flippant enough with their money regardless of resources) to go buy all that stuff?
Just sayin...
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
MIDI Life Crisis

Oh, of course, piracy is never an issue, is it?

Really guys, you're over reacting. My view is not only a logical conclusion in many instances, it is the truth. We've seen it many times over. That you don't like it in the sunlight is another issue.

It's easier to remain silent or attack the messenger than it is to speak truth. I'm sorry some find the conclusion so abhorrent. And hey, it is ONLY MY OPINION. get over it and dispense with the dramatics.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Don’t lock this post. It is vital MOTU improves it’s VI handling.
Any apparent impropriety of speech pales in comparison to the debate about MOTUs VI handling.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc