Cable for Playing Videos using DP and a Mac Pro

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
xsound
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by xsound »

Greetings,

Is the Firewire port on the Mac Pro the one used for playing videos from DP? or is it the Mini DVI one? What cable should I use? If you have a link or recommendation please let me know.

Thanks in advance
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Cable for Playing Videos using DP and a Mac Pro

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Currently Firewire to a Firewire video device (not direct to a monitor) but in DP 8 that should change. What version of DP are you currently using?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
xsound

Post by xsound »

Thanks for the reply. I am using 7.2. Is there a cable that does the conversion to DVI?

I need to send video out from DP to a projector.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Without a video converter that is not currently possible as far as I know. A Canopus box will run about $100. It's not something a special cable can accomplish.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
xsound

Post by xsound »

Do we know when DP8 is coming out?

What are going to be the advantages of using this boxes once DP8 is out?
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

Currently DP can only output full frame DV (standard definition) video through firewire to either a DV card (Canopus) or through a DV camcorder - if it has a firewire connection. These then connect to a screen or projector through standard video connectors.

You can connect a second screen or projector to your Mac through the usual monitor outputs.... but your video will be in a quicktime window (with it's borders) in DP, which is OK for working to picture, but not so good for display.

However, when DP8 arrives, you will finally be able to present a full frame movie on any screen connected to your mac - through DVI or HDMI..... just set up the projector as a second screen for the Mac.

I do this at the moment with dedicated video playback software synced to DP.... I connect the DVI output on my Mac to the HDMI input on my 50" plasma..... and the Mac recognises it as a second monitor.

But it will be nice when I can do it all in DP!

Cheers

Stephen

Cheers

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..