Virtual Memory

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
frankf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Virtual Memory

Post by frankf »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I'm thinking the same thing. 64 bit DP with 32 bit Bidule for some older VIs (thanks, Korg!).
yes, wonderful, at which point it will be interesting to see if processing power (CPU) becomes the bottleneck for all the VIs, audio track processing, etc. we are capable of running on 1 machine. Will our mac pro 3,1s run out of gas? Will we need more than 1 Mac anyway, I want to push these thought way down the road. Sigh
Frank
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
kgdrum

Virtual Memory

Post by kgdrum »

I'm also hopeful that a 64bit DP8 will give me the ability to not have to resort to VEP or Bidule. If I can also avoid having to move to a newer Mac for a while or a slave computer, I'll be very happy ;-)
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
MIDI Life Crisis

Virtual Memory

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I have a G5 in the wings. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kgdrum

Virtual Memory

Post by kgdrum »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I have a G5 in the wings. :)

Vienna states in system requirements states :intel ,no PPC listed from what i have seen,does PPC Macs work in Bidule or VEP?
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
MIDI Life Crisis

Virtual Memory

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Yes for PB.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Re: Virtual Memory

Post by FMiguelez »

kgdrum wrote:Vienna states in system requirements states :intel ,no PPC listed from what i have seen,does PPC Macs work in Bidule or VEP?
It works with the VE Pro Server Interface for sure! :)

I'm not sure about VEP itself (or VI Pro, for that matter)... I remember reading you must have the same versions in all the machines, though.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I'm thinking the same thing. 64 bit DP with 32 bit Bidule for some older VIs (thanks, Korg!).
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
VitcoMusic

Virtual Memory

Post by VitcoMusic »

James Steele wrote:
kgdrum wrote:Agreed if you're not going to run in the 64bit Kernel running VI's out of DP via VE Pro is a great solution but theoretically if you can run in the 64bit Kernel with a 64bit DP8,some users will feel less of a need for VE Pro,slaves etc....
I'm not sure if you're seeing my posts. You DO NOT HAVE TO RUN IN THE 64-BIT KERNEL TO USE EXTRA RAM WITHIN APPS LIKE DP. A machine like the MacPro 1,1 like I have can boot into the 32-bit kernel, yet launch apps in 64-bit mode and the app can address greater than 4GB of RAM.
James - this is why you get paid the big bucks here, to drive home the points most of us don't get.

DV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra 64gb; Motif 8; Novation Summit, Yamaha MOXF6, Mach Five Three; Altiverb, UVI Stuff, Acoustic Legends; Plugsound Pro; Fender Strat; Stylus, Omnisphere 2.8, Trillian
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Just a quick follow-up - I also posted this in the VI Management thread:

Kontakt's Memory Server is an awesome solution when you for some reason do *not* want to use VE Pro (or Bidule.) My prior project was four instances of Kontakt filled with samples, plus some Play, so that went into VE Pro.

But on this current project I wanted to keep my single instance of Kontakt inside the DP project, mostly just to keep things simple (most instruments are live, or virtual synths.) But I did end up filling Kontakt enough that it started to de-stabilize DP.

So I turned on Memory server, reloaded the project,bam, smooooov sailing since... You even get a readout in the menu bar showing RAM used by the memory server.

Awesome solution for those projects where VE Pro or Bidule is overkill because all you really want is just a little more room in Kontakt.

:dance: :D
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers