MIDI clones in DP? Like MIDI ghost parts in Cubase

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
roberth909
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by roberth909 »

Is there any way to create MIDI clones in DP7, much like the way that Cubase can create MIDI ghost parts? I want to be able to create a small pattern, like a hi-hat, and then create clone copies of the pattern, where a change to the original master pattern will get transferred to all the clones. I then want to be able to make a change to a clone and it will then convert into a non-clone, a new "master" pattern. I just want some features in DP that better support the creation of pattern-based music. I find it too linear and frustrating sometimes, too time consuming, I want little ways to "cheat" and make things quicker and easier.

Thanks,
Robert
benmrx

Re: MIDI clones in DP? Like MIDI ghost parts in Cubase

Post by benmrx »

Looking forward to any tips on how to get this kind of a workflow in dp.
At the studio: 2" Sony/MCI 24 Track, 36x24 Neotek IIIC, Modest rack and mic selection, PTLE 7.4, 002R, Apogee AD8000, PPC Mac 2.7Ghz + 4GB Ram, OSX 10.4.9

Check out my completely out of date studio website: http://www.mysteriousredx.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At Home: Intel iMac dual 3.06Ghz + 4GB Ram, OSX 10.6.2, DP7.12, Logic 9.1.1, Numerology 2.3
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by FMiguelez »

AUDIO can do that perfectly with the Edge Edit thing. But you can't to that with MIDI :(

I guess this is just one more reason MOTU should give us optional MIDI REGIONS!!!!!!! Like yesterday... :roll:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
roberth909

Post by roberth909 »

It's been a few years, after completing my last album (and since my original post), I'm at the point where I will not begin my next album without having Cubase-like Shared/Ghost parts and/or Logic Alias Regions. That recording activity will start in about 6 months. I sure hope Digital Performer finally decides to add this feature that is in two of it's major competitors, the absence of it seems very odd at this point.

It's such a simple way of adding a powerful pattern-based feature to a more linear based recording tool. In a world where the very pattern-based Ableton Live is taking over, I would think MOTU would be very concerned about this. Come on guys (and gals) at MOTU.
Schweats

Post by Schweats »

Random thoughts…
1. if you have Cubase with the functionality you desire in this regard, create as many patterns
with all clones you desire and save as SMF or standard MIDI file , then import into DP
2. Since you specifically said hi-hat patterns… I'd say become a master of the drum editor
and create all the small patterns you want 'til the cows come home and save each one as 'clipping' ready to be inserted into a track… 
3. Don't stop your musical output because you currently don't have the tool you'd like…
you could take that argument to the limit and say I'm not producing any more music until they have the wires-directly-connected-to-my-brain interface because having to physically be involved in production is just to slow and I wanna cheat…………… That was the same argument when multi channel mixing consoles and multi-track tape machines first appeared only a short 4/5 decades ago. If enough DP users want the functionality you desire and ask MOTU for it to be added , they usually comply.

4. ……… Or not and just do what you want - your choice

HTH my 2¢ Schweats
Schweats
MacPro 2.8/OS 10.10.1/6g ram/Powerbook G4/1g ram/10.4.11/828 mk3 hybrid/MTP AV usb/DP 7.23/Stylus RMX/Omnisphere/Trilian/Mach Five v2/RealGuitar/Korg Oasys/UAD2-Quad card & various plugs/Novation Zero SL mk2 controller/Akai MPK61
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I guess I don't understand the request here. You can make a zillion copies of the same MIDI track and then edit each of those independently. Why you would want changes you make to one track to either "transfer" to the other copies,
or make one of the copies a new "Master" is really beyond me. I don't see the
need for this.

Keep in mind that a lot of DP users aren't pattern-and-grid composers. Many
of us just do it the old fashioned way - create the pattern ourselves, then
copy and paste it where necessary. Or sometimes we do the entire drum and percussion track in MIDI by hand from beginning to end - like a real musician would. Or we use something like Stylus RMX to employ a pattern which can then be set to randomize to keep it from becoming predictable.

Or we (gasp) record actual musicians playing together, into DP.

Pattern/grid composing really is the province of Ableton Live, which shines at this particular method (but doesn't do what DP does as well).

I kind of agree with the Schweats - if you want features like Cubase or
Ableton, you should use those instead of DP.

Personally what you're asking for has never occurred to me as needed in DP,
and I've been using it since it was Performer, back in 1989.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

David Polich wrote: Keep in mind that a lot of DP users aren't pattern-and-grid composers... ...we do the entire drum and percussion track in MIDI by hand from beginning to end - like a real musician would.
You mean like eye-hand coordination and developed skills where you can actually play what you've composed in real-time without the help of a computer at all? :shock: LOL!

Most often I don't even edit "mistakes" in takes, I just play the whole thing over and over until I get it right. Audiences appreciate that when it comes time to perform live (assuming you have the privilege to perform live).

Same goes for "mirroring" in Finale. Useless crap, IMO.
Edison failed 10, 000 times before he made the electric light. Do not be discouraged if you fail a few times.

~ Napoleon Hill
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
barreltone

Post by barreltone »

roberth909 wrote:Is there any way to create MIDI clones in DP7, much like the way that Cubase can create MIDI ghost parts? I want to be able to create a small pattern, like a hi-hat, and then create clone copies of the pattern, where a change to the original master pattern will get transferred to all the clones.
I don't think it will get you all the way there, but you might take a look at looping, which is Chapter 23 in the DP7 manual. It at least does the first part.

Good luck!
Matt
Mac Pro 8 core Nehalem,OS X 10.6.8, MOTU 896HD, DP 7.24, Finale 2009, MSI, Izotope Trash, Spectron, Ozone 4, Alloy, Rx2
barreltone

Post by barreltone »

David Polich wrote: Or sometimes we do the entire drum and percussion track in MIDI by hand from beginning to end - like a real musician would.
Ha! Purist about MIDI drum parts, but not about having someone actually play drums! That's a good one.
Mac Pro 8 core Nehalem,OS X 10.6.8, MOTU 896HD, DP 7.24, Finale 2009, MSI, Izotope Trash, Spectron, Ozone 4, Alloy, Rx2
MIDI Life Crisis

Actually I've played real drums since 1963. ;)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

barreltone wrote:
David Polich wrote: Or sometimes we do the entire drum and percussion track in MIDI by hand from beginning to end - like a real musician would.
Ha! Purist about MIDI drum parts, but not about having someone actually play drums! That's a good one.
Ummm...yeah, it's called arranging a tune before you hand it to the expensive musicians to learn it.

Or when you get a track and the drummer sucked, and you have to re-do it. Done
that more times than I care to count.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
MIDI Life Crisis

I thought the term for bad drummers was "the drummer blows." I guess Chevy Chase was right. It's only a figure of speech. LOL!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
barreltone

Post by barreltone »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Actually I've played real drums since 1963. ;)
And boy, are your arms tired! <insert rimshot here>
MIDI Life Crisis

Actually, it's my back. :(
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS