Wow, only like 888 days to go.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Hint at new MacPros...

Post by toodamnhip »

I wonder if DP 8 and everything going 64 bit will lessen the need for a new mac pro over the quad core Xoens.
I mean, when everything accesses through unlimited ram, won;t that help a lot with VIs?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Stuartfox

Post by Stuartfox »

toodamnhip wrote:....I mean, when everything accesses through unlimited ram, won;t that help a lot with VIs?
I think CPU power will always be important, the reason I say this is that I've recently had issues with Kontakt 5 running more complex instruments like 8Dio's Adagio or Cinesamples Cinebrass... When I only give Kontakt (64bit standalone) 1 or 2 cores it will not cope with complex arrangements on my 12 core 2.66, so with sample libraries becoming ridiculously complex, I think every aspect of hardware will remain important, drives, ram and CPU.
Stuart Fox
See a preview of my new website and showreel:
http://www.goodsounds.co.uk/preview

Amiga 1200, 80MB HDD, Midimaster MIDI interface, Octamed 6,Bars & Pipes Pro + Korg M1R + Roland XV3080 <Just added!!!.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Stuartfox wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:....I mean, when everything accesses through unlimited ram, won;t that help a lot with VIs?
I think CPU power will always be important, the reason I say this is that I've recently had issues with Kontakt 5 running more complex instruments like 8Dio's Adagio or Cinesamples Cinebrass... When I only give Kontakt (64bit standalone) 1 or 2 cores it will not cope with complex arrangements on my 12 core 2.66, so with sample libraries becoming ridiculously complex, I think every aspect of hardware will remain important, drives, ram and CPU.
Kontakt has been killing me too with LA Scoring Strings. Crashes all the damn time.
Any advise?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

toodamnhip wrote:I wonder if DP 8 and everything going 64 bit will lessen the need for a new mac pro over the quad core Xoens.
I mean, when everything accesses through unlimited ram, won;t that help a lot with VIs?
I guess, if you have enough to load the entire samples it would help a lot.
I'm getting processor spikes even when half of my 9gb ram is free. I can imagine that the streaming of the samples takes some cpu power, other than that it doesn't seem memory related...
But I think, and hope, that 64bit will at least improve performance a bit!
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Well, it looks like I am headed toward VE Pro and then I can be done with the quirks of VI’s in DP.
The consensus I am getting from developers is that DP is the least friendly to VI’s for one reason or another. And I cannot run LASS without crashing.
There are some DP users who do fine with VIs inside of DP. But SHoosh and others consider Kontakt a crasher in DP, and I have found this to be the case too, so I’m moving out...lol.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

toodamnhip wrote:Well, it looks like I am headed toward VE Pro and then I can be done with the quirks of VI’s in DP.
If you do so, when you look back, you will wonder why it took you so long. I bet you will consider it one of your smartest studio-related decisions ever 8)

I haven't run Kontakt in VE Pro much, so I can't tell you for sure how it handles it, but based on all the other VIs I host in there, it should work flawlessly every single time.
If you use Kontakt that heavily, you may want to ask around about K + VEP specifically, just to make double sure.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
frankf

Hint at new MacPros...

Post by frankf »

toodamnhip wrote:Well, it looks like I am headed toward VE Pro and then I can be done with the quirks of VI’s in DP.
The consensus I am getting from developers is that DP is the least friendly to VI’s for one reason or another. And I cannot run LASS without crashing.
There are some DP users who do fine with VIs inside of DP. But SHoosh and others consider Kontakt a crasher in DP, and I have found this to be the case too, so I’m moving out...lol.
I don't know what your system specs are, but I'm running LASS, Kontakt 4 (x4), Kontakt 5, Ivory, Stylus RMX in DP7.24, Altiverb, video and more inside DP without problems. I've just started running Omnisphere in VEP on the same Mac Pro 3,1 with 24gb RAM because it WAS pushing DP too far. My libraries are distributed over several internal and external drives. OS and Recording volumes are isolated on unique drives, as is video playback. All drives are 7200 rpm; the externals are either running off a eSata card or FW800 bus. And yes, the sample library drives are defragmented for optimum throughput. DP8 running in 64bit should cure a lot of the memory issues. I don't run any other apps, especially Safari, when I'm scoring as they eat RAM. Check out Activity Monitor to see what's going on. DP also uses Virtual memory on the startup disk which is one good reason to keep your startup disk in good shape by using basic maintenance utilities like Disk Utility, Onyx, both free, and, occasionally, Disk Warrior $. One more thing: if you need to run video, consider streaming it from a USB 2 drive. It works fine and will also take a load off your system.
Frank
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

frankf wrote:
I don't know what your system specs are, but I'm running LASS, Kontakt 4 (x4), Kontakt 5, Ivory, Stylus RMX in DP7.24, Altiverb, video and more inside DP without problems. I've just started running Omnisphere in VEP on the same Mac Pro 3,1 with 24gb RAM because it WAS pushing DP too far. My libraries are distributed over several internal and external drives. OS and Recording volumes are isolated on unique drives, as is video playback. All drives are 7200 rpm; the externals are either running off a eSata card or FW800 bus. And yes, the sample library drives are defragmented for optimum throughput. DP8 running in 64bit should cure a lot of the memory issues. I don't run any other apps, especially Safari, when I'm scoring as they eat RAM. Check out Activity Monitor to see what's going on. DP also uses Virtual memory on the startup disk which is one good reason to keep your startup disk in good shape by using basic maintenance utilities like Disk Utility, Onyx, both free, and, occasionally, Disk Warrior $. One more thing: if you need to run video, consider streaming it from a USB 2 drive. It works fine and will also take a load off your system.
Frank
Thanks Frank, I have a quad Xeon, 2010, I run fairly similar to your set up, separate drives, cleaned and maintained system drive, the only big difference I guess is I have messenger on in the background which shouldn’t be too big a hog. Shutting it off doesn;t seem to be any sort of giant improvment.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13