After DP Update PPC G5 won't boot past getting to desktop

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by wonder »

I have a PPC G5 that I'm setting up in another room at my studio for an edit bay.

I'm on OSX 10.4.X.

I was installing the DP 4.12 update on this machine and I went to grab a beer. When I got back, the screen was black and I thought it was just asleep. After waiting minutes, it never could come back to life. I rebooted.

Since reboot ... (after many many tries) it finally got to the point of getting to the desktop. About 2 seconds after moving the mouse, the mouse pointer will go the spinning beach ball of death and n'er return.

I've rebooted about 15 times to no avail. I've tried booting in SAFE MODE, no dice.

I am now installing 10.4 on an alternate drive on the computer and seeing if the computer will boot on the alternate drive.

Any have any pointers on how to possibly fix this issue?

I have unplugged everything from the fw and usb ports during boot up as well...but still the computer seems to get stuck.

The computer was running FINE until the DP update that apparently froze or freaked out during install.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
mikehalloran

Re: After DP Update PPC G5 won't boot past getting to deskto

Post by mikehalloran »

What are you upgrading DP from?

A quick search of your problem shows many complaints on many sites of DP 4.12 not able to run on OS 10.4.x. I found this from 2006:

"It's currently running 10.4.4. However, I need to run Digital Performer 4.12 on it...and DP4.12 doesn't support Tiger. Only Panther."

I am vaguely remembering that to be true but that was a few years ago now. I do remember 4.61 being a stable release after many that weren't.

DP 5.13 is solid as a rock on 10.4/5/6. It even runs on Lion but must be installed and authorized in OS 10.6 first.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Mon May 28, 2012 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I doubt it was DP to blame. If you can boot in Target mode, hook it up to one of your other machines via Firewire, run disk utilities on the G5 boot disk (repair permissions, repair disk, etc) and if that doesn't work, remove all things MOTU and try again.

It could be a bad video card, a loose connection, many other things. It happens.

You might also take the drive out of the G5 and pop it into another machine to eliminate the possibility of a hardware problem.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
wonder

Post by wonder »

I hve installed TIGER on another drive and it's booting up fine.

I am running DISKWARRIOR and attempting to repair the drive and permission ... just trying to get to the bottom of it.

The drive may be going bad because as I'm grabbing necessary files off the cuplrit drive, its acting incredibly odd...like a drive going bad.

I still can't boot on the culprit drive so I'll keep trying to repair with DISKWARRIOR.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

DiskWarrior only repairs directories. Its Permission Repair is the same as Disk Utility.

I usually use Disk Utility first, then DW.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:DiskWarrior only repairs directories. Its Permission Repair is the same as Disk Utility.

I have Disk Warrior. I think there's an option to check and repair files if you look for it? Not at my Mac right now to check.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:DiskWarrior only repairs directories. Its Permission Repair is the same as Disk Utility.

I have Disk Warrior. I think there's an option to check and repair files if you look for it? Not at my Mac right now to check.
You can check for damaged files. DW does not repair them. It will fix B-Tree anomolies and header tags as part of the directory rebuild but those are not issues since OS 9.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If DW and DU claim to repair the drive but it still doesn't function, reformat the drive and you are usually ok. Zero All Data to build a new drive map. I have seen this many times and the drive should be ok.

If Disk Utility says it cannot repair the problem, it is probably a bad hard drive or a new bad sector. Reformatting might still work,however.

If a bad sector, use Disk Utility to re-format the drive. Select Zero All Data under Security Options. As it writes the zeros, DU will write a new sector map so that the drive will not write data to these portions of the drive.

If it freezes while reformatting, recycle the drive or return if still under warranty.

I have had Disk Warrior since v.1. Although I use it for maintenance and see all of the drive problems that it fixes, I have never seen it repair a problem drive. Not once, not ever. I mean the drive had a problem, I ran DW and then it worked ok. Disk Utility, yes. TechTool - again, never.

All three are useful as diagnostic tools but only DU actually fixes problems by reformatting drives and remapping bad sectors. I have seen it fix interleaved files, a problem I have not seen since OS 10.3, and repair boot blocks.
wonder

Post by wonder »

I let DW run overnight attempting to Repair Permissions.

I got into studio just now and it was still attempting to repair permissions...albeit there was nothing on the status bar to indicate it had even had any progress.

i have since canceled that and now attempting to rebuild the directory.

Although I'd hate to have to reinstall Logic, DP, PT, and all my plugs and VI's, it looks like that might be the last ditch effort in an attempt to salvage this editing bay computer.
wonder

Post by wonder »

UPDATE:

I have successfully installed 10.5.8 after pulling out what's left of my hair.

I'm on a PPC G5 with 10.5.8. I have DP 7.01 installed from my install disc.

What's the latest version of DP i can run on this PPC machine? Does anyone know?
MIDI Life Crisis

7.24 (current version)

Can I have the hair? Never mind, better give it to this guy...

:shock:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Download the 7.24 updater.

I have had an issue where 7.01 would open certain old projects but 7.24 would not or would crash. If this happens, do a Get Info on your project folder, give all accounts Read and Write access, then check apply to enclosed items. This will fix you right up.
wonder

Post by wonder »

I DL'd the 7.24 updater. Runs good.

Now, I'm having an issue with my plugins.

I have plugins like Auto-Tune 7 that I bought a while back and other plugs that are failing the examination process. Interestingly enough, the free plugs (like those from IZOTOPE) are passing examination.
I've tried just about everything I know under the sun to get these to pass DP's examination but to no avail.

Any tips on how to get these plugs to pass examination?

It's not an ilok issue ... it's an examination issue ... because even plugs with no iLok on them aren't passing examination.
MIDI Life Crisis

Perhaps a complete app delete and install may be called for - not just applying the update. If a component (like the MAS Audio Unit or a plist) was corrupted but not replaced by the update, that could be cause issues.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
wonder

Post by wonder »

as I'm looking at my LaunchDaemons folder in my Library, I can't delete files nor add them.

When I GET INFO on that LaunchDaemons folder, under the Sharing & Permissions, my name isn't even listed.
All I see are "system", "wheel", and "everyone" under the possible names and privileges they're granted. Is this a problem? I would think that my name, as being the only account/admin holder on this computer should be up there.

I have repaired permissions on this computer a few times.