New Macbook Pro

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Pappy725
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New Macbook Pro

Post by Pappy725 »

KarlSutton wrote:I'd like to throw out a caution - I haven't had much luck with FW800-400 adapter on my 828mkII - fortunately I have a 17" macbook pro and use an express34 card that has FW400 on it & it works great.
I've been wondering if I was the only one with troubles with the FW800-400 and an 828mkII. I can record, but it has crashed on me everytime after about 40-45 minutes. I reboot and it runs again for 30-40 minutes and crashes again. I have been eyeing the FW400 express card, hoping that will fix things.

I'm also looking at a new MBP in the near future, so I am all ears for this thread!!

Pappy
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)
2.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, OS High Sierra 10.13.2, DP8.07, 256GB SSD
828mkII, 8Pre, Alesis M1 Active Mk2, Ext. FW drives, Yamaha fretless bass, Kay upright bass, Wechter acoustic/electric, trombone, baritone and a proclivity for polka music. (With sufficient quantities of beer) and I play country music.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Have you tried a FW-400 to FW-800 cable instead of an adapter?

If the cable connection isn't perfect, you are going to have all sorts pf problems.

I have both but do not have problems with my 828mkII.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
mikehalloran wrote: I have not read anywhere that FW is too slow for samples. Cable connections are robust enough and, if disturbed, it's hot swappable.
At your own peril!

GO HERE
Hmmmm... never seen that in the field. Nice to know, however.

I was comparing it with eSATA where, if the connection even thinks it's not perfect, you must reboot.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

New Macbook Pro

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I've experienced it but ONLY with M-Audio crap (and I mean that in the truest sense of the word). Burnt out the FW port on my G4, LaCie external, and the maudio 410 POC. I think it may well be an maudio specific issue but it has worried me ever since. I do hot swap my camera, but never an audio interface of HD. Ounce of prevention.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Pappy725

Post by Pappy725 »

mikehalloran wrote:Have you tried a FW-400 to FW-800 cable instead of an adapter?
I wasn't clear in my post. I am using a FW400 - FW 800 cable that I got from Apple. I took my MBP to the Genius Bar with my MOTU rack and we only got it to see the 828 once. No joy since then. But, it sees the 8Pre, no problem, and with the 828 FW'd into the 8Pre, it sees the 828. So that's my workaround. I wish there was a firmware update for the 828, but I have yet to see one.

Pappy
828mkII, 8Pre, Alesis M1 Active Mk2, Ext. FW drives, Yamaha fretless bass, Kay upright bass, Wechter acoustic/electric, trombone, baritone and a proclivity for polka music. (With sufficient quantities of beer) and I play country music.
rhythm_kitchen

Post by rhythm_kitchen »

Firewire troubleshooting basics in Network Prefs:
http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/art ... -problems/

If still no cigar: SIIG PCI(e) or SIIG Express 34 Card
http://www.siig.com/firewire-2-port-exp ... d-870.html

Also there is a rumor that Apple lowered the 1394b voltage but I doubt this very much as it is so easy to test. An Oxford Chipset (externally powered) drive enclosure between you and the Firewire 800 port on the Mac.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/FAQ/en207933

Is 'Secure Virtual Memory' unchecked in Security Prefs? Disable BOTH System and hard drive sleep?

Are there fw (Firewire) console log entries at the time the Mark II stops working? (usually sleep related). Using pro Firewire cables? http://www.granitedigital.com
Todzilla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Todzilla »

I'm one of the few folks stoked by the non-drastic bump to the 13" MBP at today's announcement. Optical lives (for second HD), user upgradeable RAM and HD (to put in an SSD), kept FW, USB 3.0!

Me happy!
-Todzilla
Huge sound generation & capture facilities
On the banks of the River Eno
DP 8!!!, OSX 10.7.3, 15" MacBook Pro w 16G RAM 256G SSD & 630GHD, MOTU 896HD, MX4, Komplete 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Neumann U-89, pair of Peluso P12s, Seventh Circle & Demeter preamps, Lava lamp, stuffed frog playing bongos
rhythm_kitchen

Post by rhythm_kitchen »

+1

But the jury is still out re graphics as of Monday.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/macb ... blurrycam/

Interesting that the new Motu Track 16 has a Firewire 400 labeled port on a Firewire 800 connector. Hopefully this means that the compatibility issues are solved.

I've labored under the impression FW was limited to the slowest common denominator.

Good blog on Mountain Lion http://onsoftware.en.softonic.com/os-x- ... -wish-list

I'd add: Pause 'indexing' button.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Just saw the impressive WWDC presentation.

I don't understand enough of the technical details to put it into perspective. But if I'm not completely missing it, it seems like:

A. The top-of-the-line MBP is significantly better than the models below, with many new innovations and design features, including the retina display, better graphics, and SSD storage.
B. Like the above model, the lower models do have faster Ivy Bridge processors.
C. Unlike the above model, the lower models do have FW, USB3, and dedicated audio inputs.
D. As mentioned on another thread, the Mac Pro didn't change much.

In some ways, the lower models would integrate well with my FW based studio. On the other hand, it seems like they are making an incredibly powerful laptop that might actually be a good value (i.e., worth the price difference to me). Though it might be hard to justify in my current situation.

I have no way of knowing how much additional cost might be involved in things like keeping my software working with the new OS, keeping my audio & MIDI i/o working with the ports.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I'm so glad I snagged my 8 core when I did. Yeah, it's a 3,1 but it'll do for a while. I was waiting for the new Mac Pros but instead I will save my pennies for one of them smarty pants laptops. I wonder if I can get a retinal display with dedicated audio? Can always use an external device and I think I'd rather get the retinal display if I had to choose between the two.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I was looking to see if there was even the ability to switch the output to an input, but I did not see that functionality mentioned in the specs.

On the plus side, there are better speakers and better built-in mics (stereo). The built-in mics come in handy for quick reference recordings, ideas, etc.

If it had an audio input (why didn't they put it on the other side?!) I'm sure I'd use it for bringing a line out of a keyboard into the computer. That's how I used it on my last laptop.

As to whether the Thunderbolt to FW adaptor will work as needed, I guess we'll see.

I am looking forward to the nice display! And I've never used SSD storage before. That'll be a hoot!

Listen to me. It sounds like my typing hands have already made up their little finger minds. I'll have to work them fingers down to their little finger skulls to pay for it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Pappy725

Post by Pappy725 »

stubbsonic wrote:Listen to me. It sounds like my typing hands have already made up their little finger minds. I'll have to work them fingers down to their little finger skulls to pay for it.
I hate when they do that! Make 'em bleed, show 'em who's boss!!
Thanks, that one made me smile! :D

Pappy
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

KarlSutton wrote:I'd like to throw out a caution - I haven't had much luck with FW800-400 adapter on my 828mkII - fortunately I have a 17" macbook pro and use an express34 card that has FW400 on it & it works great.
I picked mine for cheap at OWC works great. What kind do you have?
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I wouldn't want to fix one of these buggers:

look here

I guess Apple knows we all will be buying new computers every year or so. :wink: Especially in this great economy. This looks like a totally disposable computer.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
rhythm_kitchen

Post by rhythm_kitchen »

Agreed.

MBP Retina --- > 105 oF playing back fullscreen HD.
http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops ... splay.aspx

The sleep issue with Firewire is a bus mastered issue (on the puter side). I can't imagine not sleeping, thankfully you can monitor with phones on the Apple output (decent, if you lower DP's master fader). Still those annoying 'snaps' in playback.

Is this why a USB-2 audio interface may be the only option with these units (to allow sleep)?