Unisyn - Will it solve my needs?

Discussion of issues related to MOTU's Sysex Editor/Librarian program.

Moderator: James Steele

RhythmRmixd
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Unisyn - Will it solve my needs?

Post by RhythmRmixd »

I was hoping you Unisyn gurus could help me decide if Unisyn is the product I need for what I want to accomplish. For starters, my setup is DP 4.6 on OSX 10.4/Dual G5 with an E-MU Proteus 2000 and E-MU Mo'Phatt hooked up to my computer via a MOTU Express XT (Also using an 828mkII to capture the audio of the stereo outputs of the E-MU modules). I also have expansion roms in the Proteus 2000.

Anyway, what I would like to do is the following:

-fine tune all the parameters on the E-MU modules (the parameters found in the EDIT menu for each preset, where I change envelope filters, filter types, patchcord sources and destinations, effect A and B amounts/parameters, etc.)

-the modules provide 512 user preset locations to store/save your own custom sounds you created from the other factory presets. I would like to be able to rename these user presets and for the new names to show in the DP patch menus (on MIDI tracks).

-fine tune (as mentioned above) both the factory roms in my Proteus 2000 as well as the expansion roms I installed in them.

I imagine Unisyn can probably do most of these if not much more, but I just wanted to check with you guys to make sure.

Thanks for your help.
npatton

Post by npatton »

I'm not a hard-core user of Unisyn, but the editing features seem fine, if a bit clunky. Visit the MOTU site to make sure your modules are supported, though.

However, read some of the other posts in this forum regarding patch lists in DP. Nothing but frustration down that road, it seems to me. I use Unisyn mostly as a librarian and database for my patches, with some occasional editing, so I haven't even messed with patchlists yet. Read some more and then make your decision. Not much else out there, though... :?

n
RhythmRmixd

Post by RhythmRmixd »

I did check MOTU's documentation and confirmed that there are Unisyn profiles for both my Mo'Phatt and Proteus 2000. Also the fact that these are my only two hardware MIDI modules would make Unisyn sort of a large expense as its only purpose for me would be to control the E-MU's. I do intend to expand my hardware module collection in the future so I'll probably bite the bullet and get it (at least I'll know what profiles are supported when making my future module purchases!).

Anyway, thanks for the advice.