Uncomfortable calling myself a "composer".

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Uncomfortable calling myself a "composer".

Post by mhschmieder »

I was afraid to read this thread at first as I needed to accomplish a whole lot more this past year before I felt strong enough. And I've only barely skimmed the first page so far. But it is a question I ask myself as well, since anyone I know who has serious classical composition and/or musicology training labels my stuff as instrumental pop music, considering it too naive to qualify as classical.

They're probably right, but I also wonder how much it matters -- other than that I do ALSO want to compose serious, sophisticated fare that gets deeper on each listen (like Brahms, my ultimate hero). I keep hoping I'm like Borodin, "too busy" being EXTREMELY successful at my "day job" to devote sufficient time to serious composing, until retirement.

As for approach, I honestly don't feel it matters that much, but I want to FINALLY take the time to learn a pro notation program as I know it will open up my composing in a way that MIDI projects don't, as I get boxed in by the technical considerations and unconsciously limit myself based on how hard I think it will be to pull off a polished and professional mock-up.

I tend to write mostly in my head -- it is a gift for which I take no credit; you can say it comes from the Heavens, the Ether, Shared Consciousness, is Hereditary (it DOES run in the family), or comes from Nurture as much as Nature. But I feel impelled to share it -- especially in a world where melody has disappeared in recent years from most forms of popular music.

My ideas come in gigantic bursts of light, fully intact with all parts, layers, forms, sections, instruments, etc. in place at first inspiration. I have developed short-hand techniques to capture enough of the essence quickly that the act of overly-concentrating doesn't lose the rest. Then, once the essence is captured via short-hand, I am free to elaborate on it for a fully fleshed out hand-written manuscript (though I take short-cuts there as well, since I know it will go on the computer at first opportunity).

This is how I write pop/jazz/etc. Classical is slightly different in that I feel compelled to elaborate further with continuous evolution vs. the sort of verse/chorus rotation that occurs outside classical music (even if there is a lot of variety to avoid too much carbon copy repetition). Thus, I may put stuff aside for years until the next level of inspiration hits.

My current eighteen movement suite of "musical portraits" of Impressionist painters culls from 30 years worth of material. I find that coming up with a thematic binding helps me to know when it's time to move on. I always admired Tchaikovsky's "Manfred Symphony" more than the numbered symphonies, for instance, and in general have deep respect for "programme music", especially including Ballet (for which my Impressionists Suite is intended).

As for soundtrack work, and works for live stage, that crosses a gazillion genres, and one of the things I love is the constant challenge of working outside my previous comfort zone (e.g. hillbilly banjo music; heavy metal thrashing; etc.). I think of it all as composing, as there are specific cues and lengths as well as goals that are programmatic in nature and thus don't follow a pop song format even when in the pop style.

But would I compare myself to Brahms, Borodin, or even modern minimalists like John Adams, Steve Reich, or Philip Glass? No way. I will be lucky if I get to a level where friends and family members who are qualified to judge, consider my music to actually be "classical". And even if that never happens, there is no goal in life that interests me more than having my music choreographed for Ballet. It is not a trivial goal -- I consider writing for choreography to be extremely difficult, but because it is the performance art for which I have the most passion, I want to contribute to it somehow before I die.

So, the bottom line is that I have no embarrassment about ANY of the material I produce, as I have a gift for melody, harmony, and arranging that is uncommon (at least these days). I simply desire, in addition to this, to also achieve at least some level of success in the area of music that is closest to my heart, which is classical music, and particular ballet.

I hope this is helpful for others who cross genres and get challenged by peers, friends, or family as to the "value" of what they do and whether it merits the label of "composing" for the methodologies employed or the goals achieved. In the end, everything is "composed" somehow. It's just nice to have as many tools and skills to bring to the table as possible.

Kip Winger, former bassist for Alice Cooper and his own Winger band, wrote some brilliant ballet music for a world premiere in San Francisco last year. Unlike the classical efforts of Paul McCartney or Tony Banks (Genesis), however, it seemed mature and informed and appropriate as opposed to being naive instrumental music written by a pop artist. But Kip certainly is not turning his back or showing embarrassment over what he did before. And that's the right attitude, in my view. Ultimately, all music is about communication and serves a purpose.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

OK, now I've read the whole discussion, and I was moved to tears by the Sibelius story (and anger as well, as he's one of my ten if not five favourite composers of all time, to to think we have been denied one of his works due to a typical artist's tantrum), as well as the one about Rachmaninov (I only knew that critics ridiculed him as a "throwback" the the "outmoded" romantic era) -- another of my favourite top ten composers.

I think it helps to read about the insecurities of famous composers (Brahms being one of the most famous cases of delaying for decades due to the stifling effect that Beethoven's 9th -- which I don't even like as it is so militaristic -- had on composers at the time).

Thankfully, I have no desire to become famous. I'd rather be a musical servant (as I am now) than a slave to critics, trends, and expectations. Some of the famous composers would just as soon not have had to deal with fame as well. Not many of them died happy, unfortunately.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Mr. Quimper

Post by Mr. Quimper »

monkey man wrote:IOW, fear not. You're probably some sort of genius. :)
:lol: While I appreciate the sentiment, I can assure you, I am not. :P
skyy38 wrote:Mr. Quimper,

Can you please post a link to some of your work?
If you insist...here's a recent gig; just a short corporate video that wanted original music (they wanted moody orchestral for the first half, upbeat 'hip' (corporate 'hip') for the second half). I basically had a weekend to do it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlscc1dvX_E

Some other odds and ends:
Film Cue Collage
Wind [unmixed] (fake ethnic)
Trailer Music
Electromaster (electronic)
Who Did It? (fake spy jazz)

:oops:
Last edited by Mr. Quimper on Thu May 24, 2012 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
2.5Ghz Quad-Core/20GB DDR3/10.11.6/DP 9.5
Mr. Quimper

Post by Mr. Quimper »

Like I (think) I said earlier, I guess I just hate using the word 'composer' as I don't really 'compose' in the written sense...to me, 'producer' seems more appropriate for someone who plays MIDI notes into a computer.
Mr. Quimper

Post by Mr. Quimper »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:For me the bottom line is storytelling. That makes a great composer (or dancer, actor, painter, or sculptor - sorry to those artists I've left out). And being a good storyteller is more important than being a great musician, IMO.
This is probably my favorite post. I may be taking your meaning too literally, but storytelling has been the only common thread interconnecting my past and present. I didn't used to just draw, I wanted to draw in support of stories, literally...comics, graphic novels, storyboarding, whatever (and of course, single images can communicate whole stories within themselves as well). Drawing for its own sake wasn't enough for me...there had to be a narrative component to excite me. The same has happened with music and sound. I work with filmmakers to help communicate and enrich a story - the story has to be king.

You know, it's funny, back when I used to focus solely on visual art, I hated the term "Artist" as well...I always said 'illustrator' or 'I draw'. I have often said to myself that more than anything I consider myself a storyteller. It's probably the only term I'm really comfortable with.
MIDI Life Crisis

Uncomfortable calling myself a "composer".

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You are taking my meaning very precisely. Along with the storytelling aspect, the next thing I start looking for is efficiency and economy of means.

As far as what anyone calls themselves it's only semantics. As Lenny Bruce said: It's only a sound, man.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS