Ducking

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stainless
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ducking

Post by stainless »

I've read page 842/843 numerous times now and I cannot seem to grasp this...

I'm working on a tune that has a lot of guitar riffs- many extend/continue behind the vocals

While I could manually go pencil in out the volume, I'm thinking ducking (with compression) might be the better approach so it's not so abrupt ((perhaps)

so, my understanding to this point which is flawed is to set up a send from the vocal track... but my interpretation of the manual is ... well I'm not sure I see how this affects the guitar track

looking at the MW Compressor as an insert (I figured startimg with a MOTU plug would be a good idea) ... I'm not seeing a side chain menu... and unless the compressor is in the guitar track.... (once I find the side chain)... how is this going to affect the guitar?

I understand how it works... I just can't grasp how to implement it :banghead:
MacPro 2 x 2.4 (5,1 2010) , 16 GB RAM, 4.5TB, 10.9.1 OSX, DP 8.05, RME FF800, Audient ASP008, Lucid 8824 (clock), UAD2, JBL4623L w/sub, Prism, Avalon, Universal Audio, Aphex, Altex Lansing, AEA, Bellari, AKG, Audio-Technica, Rode, Shure, Granelli Audio, MXL, Jolie mod, JBridgeM, HearBack, and a manx named "get off the keyboard!"
AnthonyS
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Ducking

Post by AnthonyS »

Hi:

While I have limited knowledge of side chain compression and/or ducking, I don't believe the MW Compressor has a side chain input.

The included "Dynamics" in DP does have a an input drop down menu that you can feed the output from a bus to.

Hope this helps.
MacBook Pro 15" 2G QuadCore i7,8G RAM, 20"Intel iMac 2.4Ghz , 4G RAM.OSX 10.8.3 on both, DP 7.24, MOTU 828MK3, AudioBox 1818, KRK Rokit 6G2, Omnisphere 1.5, Komplete 8, Amplitube 2&3, SampleTank, Sonik Synth2, SampleMoog, SampleTron, Ivory 2, Philharmonik, EWQL MOR, SC, SOG, SD2, Reason 6, Waves, McDSP, Slate Digital VCC, FGX, Sound Toys.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

AnthonyS is correct. If you are using DP plug-ins for this, the Dynamics plug is the way to go. Put the Dynamics plug on a Guitar track insert and set the Control Signal (i.e., sidechain) to the desired bus - say bus 1. Then set a send from your sidechain track (in your case, vocals) to bus 1. I would set it to unity gain, but that's not necessary. Now adjust the controls on the Dynamics plug for the desired ducking.
So in summary:
Dynamics plug on guitar track, Control Signal set to Bus whatever.
Send on vocal track to same Bus.
Adjust Dynamics plug to taste.

Another compressor to consider is Stillwell's Rocket. I can't remember what I paid for it, but I think it's around $50. It's my favorite sidechain compressor.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
stainless

Post by stainless »

thank you so much!

I'll look into the Stillwell plug also!
MacPro 2 x 2.4 (5,1 2010) , 16 GB RAM, 4.5TB, 10.9.1 OSX, DP 8.05, RME FF800, Audient ASP008, Lucid 8824 (clock), UAD2, JBL4623L w/sub, Prism, Avalon, Universal Audio, Aphex, Altex Lansing, AEA, Bellari, AKG, Audio-Technica, Rode, Shure, Granelli Audio, MXL, Jolie mod, JBridgeM, HearBack, and a manx named "get off the keyboard!"
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

If you're looking for a good multiband with sidechaining, Waves "C6" has a sidechain variant that's been really easy to use. From time to time they have a 50% off sale (they might be having one now, in fact) and it drops to $75. The interface is a "Dynamic EQ" style, which I find much more intuitive than the traditional "multiband comp" style like the MW Comp.

It'll be interesting to see whether DPs own Dynamic EQ plugin that's coming with DP8 will have a sidechaining option. If they want it to compete with C6, they'd better.

I do really wish my Waves RComp had sidechaining though :(
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
stainless

Post by stainless »

I'll look into that also

I have 2 UAD-2 cards (solos) and I like the UAD plugs, but was really surprised that side-chaining isn't an option. I'm pretty sure at least some of the original hardware had this option, but i may be wrong about that

I know a few folks consider "ducking" to be old/outdated, but it seems a very viable way to deal with different instruments that weave around each other (and less time consuming than manually editing volume). A multiband that could be side chained would seem really practical
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

Waves C6 is good.... but I particularly like the NI Vintage Compressors - LA2A- 1176 and dbx160, these have awesome side-chains, and also have a high pass filter on the detection circuit, more useful than you think. I see also that NI also have an SSL buss compressor that also has a side-chain - damn, going to have to get that too!!!

These compressors sound very good and are faithful reproduction.

The dbx160 works very well if you want the kick to duck the entire track.

Only drag with these plugs is that they use Guitar Rig as a frame.

Cheers

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
AnthonyS
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by AnthonyS »

I wasn't sure if the OP was looking outside of DP for a plugin, but +1 for the NI. Also Waves H-Comp and the very versatile C1 do the trick as well. C1 is very versatile.

Good luck
MacBook Pro 15" 2G QuadCore i7,8G RAM, 20"Intel iMac 2.4Ghz , 4G RAM.OSX 10.8.3 on both, DP 7.24, MOTU 828MK3, AudioBox 1818, KRK Rokit 6G2, Omnisphere 1.5, Komplete 8, Amplitube 2&3, SampleTank, Sonik Synth2, SampleMoog, SampleTron, Ivory 2, Philharmonik, EWQL MOR, SC, SOG, SD2, Reason 6, Waves, McDSP, Slate Digital VCC, FGX, Sound Toys.
stainless

Post by stainless »

I'll admit I haven't paid much attention to the NI plugs, although i have Komplete 7.

Another one to contemplate!
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

stephentayler wrote:Only drag with these plugs is that they use Guitar Rig as a frame.
Got to admit, that's practically a deal breaker with me. Don't get me wrong, GR is great for what it's designed for, and it's great when bundling a large amount of operations to create a specific effect. But it's a total waste of CPU, screen real-estate, and time to have to use it for individual processes.

One of these days I wish they'd just turn GR into a VST/AU host, and turn all their effects into VSTs/AUs. That way you could choose to use them inside GR or individually in the host DAW. Even better, allow Kontakt to also chain VST/AUs, and streamline everything so that all NI effects are using the same protocol as everything else. Once again, NI creates a bunch of good ideas that don't seem to fit well together, and have to duplicate their work.

BTW: whoever said Ducking was outdated? Ducking is a tool, just like any other. If you need to accomplish the task produced by ducking, there's no other way of doing it. Ducking will be outdated when screw drivers become outdated (no Doctor Who jokes, please).
— Eric Barker
Eel House

MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

Prime Mover wrote:
stephentayler wrote:Only drag with these plugs is that they use Guitar Rig as a frame.
Got to admit, that's practically a deal breaker with me. Don't get me wrong, GR is great for what it's designed for, and it's great when bundling a large amount of operations to create a specific effect. But it's a total waste of CPU, screen real-estate, and time to have to use it for individual processes.

One of these days I wish they'd just turn GR into a VST/AU host, and turn all their effects into VSTs/AUs. That way you could choose to use them inside GR or individually in the host DAW. Even better, allow Kontakt to also chain VST/AUs, and streamline everything so that all NI effects are using the same protocol as everything else. Once again, NI creates a bunch of good ideas that don't seem to fit well together, and have to duplicate their work.
Great plugs. I have setups saved with DP channel presets with my favorite NI comps...minimizes the GR issue.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Well, I only have Komplete 7. One day NI will offer enough new things for me to upgrade, and then I'll be able to use them.
— Eric Barker
Eel House