Microbook makes Logic 9 go crazy in 48k

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Beachwood
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Microbook makes Logic 9 go crazy in 48k

Post by Beachwood »

So I've reported this issue to support at Motu and haven't come across anyone with the same problem.

I'm on Lion, the latest update. I never had this problem with Snow Leopard and don't have it with the built in audio.

When I'm in a Logic project at 48k (even with no instruments up etc) my typing keyboard and mouse seem to have a mind of their own. It'll input random key combos and make the boop sound and make the screen flash, it'll bring up dashboard, the mouse will jump around and right click everywhere. Projects at 44k are fine with the Microbook.

Also, I'm having erratic mouse problems in iTunes and Quicktime with the Microbook.

I've tried different cables, I have the latest firmware and drivers. Only other thing is possibly trying a USB powered hub?

Any ideas? I write music for a living and mostly need to submit in 48k.
torrentg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Microbook makes Logic 9 go crazy in 48k

Post by torrentg »

I don't know anything about Mac OSes but I know what is causing your issue.
If there is a setting in the Mac OS audio stack to give exclusive control to an application, set that enabled.

Turning off system sounds is another way to go about it, instead.

That should at least give you a good start until someone else with MAC knowledge answers you with better info and could possibly address your other issues.

Good luck.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

Stable in 44.1K and berzerk at 48K... Hmmm....

I will assume that you have installed all the latest drivers. If not, do so. Repair Permissions.

Check that everything is set up properly for 48K. What is your clock source - do you have two going on?

If all looks good...

For kicks, install AudioDesk 3 and see what happens - it should have shipped with your box. If it is stable at both sample rates, the problem is likely to not be your MOTU unit. If, however, you still have the same issue, now you can kick it to MOTU Tech Support.

If it behaves in AudioDesk, the Logic support forums over in Apple Support are your likely best bet - unless someone knows the answer here, of course.

Once you have solved your problem, you can leave AD alone or run the installer again to uninstall (in the drop down menu with Easy Install).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Beachwood
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Beachwood »

Just updating to say I fixed this problem by using a powered USB hub. Shame the only hubs I could find were flimsy and seem to weigh less than a USB cable which means it falls over all the time.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

Beachwood wrote:Just updating to say I fixed this problem by using a powered USB hub. Shame the only hubs I could find were flimsy and seem to weigh less than a USB cable which means it falls over all the time.
Yes - bus power from the Mac isn't always enough.

I find that a drop of silicone sealer attaches flimsy little doo-dads to paper weights. It doesn't have to be ugly but, as long as it works, it works.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro