Problem Duplicating Audio and Copying Samples to Project

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Tobor
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Problem Duplicating Audio and Copying Samples to Project

Post by Tobor »

This has been driving me crazy. I've got a few sequences where the soundbites are in a completely different folder. I don't want to lose track of them should I delete the unrelated sequence they're in.

I've wanted to do a 'save as' and 'duplicate audio and copy samples to project' so that everything will be tidy in one project folder. But the checkbox is grayed out and won't let me copy the .wav files, it only copies the sequence data.

On occasion, on some projects, I'm able to check the box and everything copies as it should. But should I uncheck the box again for subsequent sequences in the file (to avoid massive duplication and another project folder), I can't seem to get it back in 'copy audio' mode on the current or any other project.

It seems like some kind of bug but maybe I'm just doing something wrong..... any ideas?

Tobor
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
mikehalloran

Re: Problem Duplicating Audio and Copying Samples to Project

Post by mikehalloran »

It may be related to the problem that I am having - or not.

I would just duplicate the entire project folder in the Finder and rename it so that there is no confusion.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

mikehalloran wrote:It may be related to the problem that I am having - or not.

I would just duplicate the entire project folder in the Finder and rename it so that there is no confusion.
Thanks Mike. Yes, I could do that, but my problem is that the relevant soundbites are NOT in my project folder- they're in another sequence's folder.

In theory (and DP's manual), I could/should be able to select 'copy audio and duplicate soundbites' (sic) and THEN I would have all relevant soundbites in my new project folder.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Just thinking out loud here, Tobor. In the save dialog box, are you sure the format is Digital Performer Project Document? The "duplicate audio" box is greyed out for some of the other formats. What if you change it to another format and then change it back? :?

I wonder if it's greyed out because the project audio folder is empty. :? (some experimentation required here - I'll get back to you if I uncover anything)

Could it be a permissions problem. :?

Like I said, just thinkin' out loud.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Phil O wrote:I wonder if it's greyed out because the project audio folder is empty. :? (some experimentation required here - I'll get back to you if I uncover anything)
Nope, just tried it. I created a project and set the take folder to another drive, then recorded a few seconds. The audio ends up in the remote take folder and the project audio folder is empty, but the "duplicate audio" box is still active in the save as dialog box and audio copies correctly to a new file when checked. :? It's gotta be something else.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You might make an alias of the Audio folder with the soundbites and place it in the project folder in question. Alternately, you might also place a copy of the project file in the folder with the soundbites and try to SAVE AS.

I ALWAYS try to keep the soundbites associated with a project in the projects audio folder. If storage is an issue, then get more storage. It's not that expensive these days. If you have a different reason for not keeping the audio with the project, please let me/us know as there may be other alternatives one of us might have a solution for.

Or not. :unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:You might make an alias of the Audio folder with the soundbites and place it in the project folder in question. Alternately, you might also place a copy of the project file in the folder with the soundbites and try to SAVE AS.

I ALWAYS try to keep the soundbites associated with a project in the projects audio folder. If storage is an issue, then get more storage. It's not that expensive these days. If you have a different reason for not keeping the audio with the project, please let me/us know as there may be other alternatives one of us might have a solution for.

Or not. :unicorn:
Thanks for the suggestions and concern, MLC and Phil.

Storage space isn't the issue. And keeping all the soundbites in the proper projects audio folder is what I'm TRYING to do, hence my frustration. I often forget to save a song into a new project before I start noodling on something new in my current project, hence I've got stray soundbites in far flung folders at times.

Phil, I also noticed the 'save as DP file option' and did switch back and forth, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

I'm kind of on the run so will have to wait to try this again. I've love to get to the bottom of it. DP has been working so seamlessly lately that any little glitch has me thinking that I must be overlooking something.

Thanks again,

Tobor
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Then just copy the folder to the project folder. Next...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Then just copy the folder to the project folder. Next...
Agreed. That's probably the best work-around, but it would still be nice to know why the "duplicate audio and copy shared samples to project" button is greyed out. That will come back to haunt him if he doesn't get it fixed.

Phil
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

See what my problem was and how I fixed it after support threw in the towel. It may or may not apply.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=49338
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Phil O wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Then just copy the folder to the project folder. Next...
Agreed. That's probably the best work-around, but it would still be nice to know why the "duplicate audio and copy shared samples to project" button is greyed out. That will come back to haunt him if he doesn't get it fixed.

Phil
And if I copy the folder to the project folder, would I have to drag the soundbites into the project again from there?

It would seem that the sequence would still look for the files in the old location, although if it couldn't find them you could manually redirect to the (desired) proper folder....

Either way, 'working as it should' would be preferred.

Thanks again for the help. Although I've used DP from version 2, I've only been using audio and soundbites in DP for a couple years, so there's still much I don't know about their manipulation. I always tread gingerly lest I accidentally lose a coveted soundbite into the ether or mess with it destructively so that I can't get it back (although I do backup often).

Tobor
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Have you made sure the read/write permissions are properly set in the source and target audio folders? Just to be sure, open both folders' Information window and use the "Apply to enclosed items". One rouge audio file would be enough to stop you from doing this the way you want.

I've done what you want in the past without issues. DP should be able to locate all the soundfiles and collect them all in your location of choice with the Save As and Duplicate audio command :?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
zaratero

Post by zaratero »

What if you create a new sequence, then load , then save a copy as?
http://www.cueaudio.org
Macpro 3.1 Octocore-16Gb RAM-OSX10.8 - DP 7.24
Macbook pro Core2Duo-4Gb RAM-OSX10.6 - DP 7.24
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

FMiguelez wrote:Have you made sure the read/write permissions are properly set in the source and target audio folders? Just to be sure, open both folders' Information window and use the "Apply to enclosed items". One rouge audio file would be enough to stop you from doing this the way you want.
I've done what you want in the past without issues. DP should be able to locate all the soundfiles and collect them all in your location of choice with the Save As and Duplicate audio command :?
That turned out to be the solution to my issue
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

mikehalloran wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:Have you made sure the read/write permissions are properly set in the source and target audio folders? Just to be sure, open both folders' Information window and use the "Apply to enclosed items". One rouge audio file would be enough to stop you from doing this the way you want.
That turned out to be the solution to my issue
Thanks much, guys.

I found that some of my folders were indeed 'read only' for a couple users, although my permissions were for read and write. In any case, I selected the whole DP folder on my audio drive and changed all the 'read only's to 'read and write'. It looks now like every folder I select has 'read and write' for everyone.

Repaired permissions.

But still.... no luck copying the audio to a new project. The check box still grays out.

I also note that in the 'Get Info' window, although the permissions are now 'read and write' for all users in the selected folders, the 'Apply to enclosed items' in the submenu is grayed out as well.

I just changed the permissions on the DP 7.24 icon in the app folder as well, still no happy happy.

I think I'm close to a solution thanks to your suggestions, it definitely seems to be a OS issue rather than a DP bug, but I'm still scratching my head.

Tobor