Changing controller names

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
lexein
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by lexein »

In DP7.24, I see under Setup/Legend... that the controller names are predefined. I need to change these names (and possibly the icons) since we're using the controllers in a non-audio application in which the MIDI Control messages are used to control physical devices, with names like "L Knee" and "Spine LR".
I see under Preferences/Editing Continuous Data that 7 controllers can be renamed. Last I looked, there are 127, not just 7. Sure would be nice to access the full suite. I actually need to name 1 through 16.

I'd also like to name notes, but that's not as important.
How can this renaming be accomplished in DP7,
or with DP7 and an external tool?
Thanks for any info or recommendations.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Sounds like a question for MOTU. Have you contacted them?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Re: Changing controller names

Post by FMiguelez »

This is something I would like to be able to do too. Seven renamable CCs is not enough now-a-days.

Since I use QKs I currently don't mind that much, but I need to keep a text document handy when I need to remember what CC42, for instance, is assigned to send to my VIs.

We should be able to rename and reassign all of them.

If you really want this let MOTU know about it.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
lexein
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by lexein »

Thanks MIDI Life Crisis and FMiguelez, I have written to MOTU about it - it would help if others also requested this feature expansion.
In the meantime, are there other MIDI editors which do allow renaming for all controllers and notes?
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I don't know if there may be other editors to do this. Frankly, I wouldn't mess with that lest DP hates it and gives you trouble.

At this point I think your best bet is renaming your most-used CCs, and learning the rest by heart. Keep a cheat sheet near you so you can quickly consult it. If you do this in say, TexEdit, you can have DP open it automatically every time you launch it (with Startup Clippings).

But it's good you let MOTU know about it. Hopefully they'll listen.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman