Plug in management software?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

nk_e
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by nk_e »

Does anyone know of a plugin management program for OSX? Something that lets you define and activate or deactivate groups of plugins? I used to use PlugAdminPro for this years ago, but it has not been stable in a long time.

Seems simple enough to write (not that I could in any reasonable amount of time) and there must be a need...

I'll ask elsewhere too. If I find anything, I'll post back.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

nk_e

Re: Plug in management software?

Post by nk_e »

Ha. Found my own answer. From SOS

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct07/a ... p_1007.htm
Power User: If you're a power user there's potential for plug-in pandemonium. Your Mac is a hotbed of audio production and you utilise your vast collection of plug-ins and virtual instruments using DP, rival DAWs, Rewire applications and other hosts in whatever combination proves necessary. What you need is the ultimate flexibility in controlling your plug-in collection. In this case, the Disabled folders approach, though a possibility, could become tiresome and confusing. Likewise, intervening in DP's AU examination process is too inflexible, and too time-consuming to do very often. What's needed is a proper plug-in management system, and for this I can wholeheartedly recommend AudioFinder by Iced Audio. This is a massively useful audio utility — in fact I'll be looking in more detail at how it complements DP next month — that includes a fully fledged Plug-in Manager. With it you can create cross-format plug-in sets that can be recalled using a simple pop-up menu in AudioFinder. It then does all the hard work of creating Disabled folders in your OS X Plug-Ins folder, and moving groups of plug-ins about en masse. To give an example of how this feature might be used, you could create a 'DP' plug-in set, which disabled all Audio Unit and VST plug-ins that had MAS counterparts. But if you then wanted to switch to using Logic or Live for a while, you could instantly load a 'Logic' plug-in set that re-enabled those Audio Unit plug-ins. If you found that a certain plug-in was crashing one of your hosts, how about creating a 'safe' plug-in set that excluded just that one? And if you're using Waves plug-ins with DP — problematic right now, because DP5 no longer automatically blacklists crash-prone plug-ins and Waveshells in Audio Unit and VST formats — you can make up a plug-in set that excludes these (or any non-MAS Waveshell) every time you want to use DP. Once you try it, you'll wonder how you lived without it. AudioFinder costs $69.95 and is available from http://www.icedaudio.com. There's a demo version there too.
A good lesson on knowing your tools. I actually own AudioFinder and didn't realize it had this built in... :oops:

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

nk_e wrote:Does anyone know of a plugin management program for OSX? Something that lets you define and activate or deactivate groups of plugins? I used to use PlugAdminPro for this years ago, but it has not been stable in a long time.

Seems simple enough to write (not that I could in any reasonable amount of time) and there must be a need...

Are you using DP7? You CAN have different plug in sets within DP's audio plug-in prefs.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

+1 on AudioFinder.
IMHO, it's a magic tool, or swiss knife, in many situations.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

James Steele wrote:
nk_e wrote:Does anyone know of a plugin management program for OSX? Something that lets you define and activate or deactivate groups of plugins? I used to use PlugAdminPro for this years ago, but it has not been stable in a long time.

Are you using DP7? You CAN have different plug in sets within DP's audio plug-in prefs.
Great point, but I need a more general solution...

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'd especially like to organize my plug-ins into sub-directories by category. I think this may have been brought up in another thread recently.

*** Just checked the AudioFinder manual and it doesn't appear to support that function.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

AFAICT, DP allows one level deep nesting in plugin folders.

But each time you update DP, you'll have to organize manually again.
I'm pretty fast at this job now.

BTW AudioFinder works fine with nested plugin folders.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I wasn't able to do this with AU's (components).

I thought there was something in the headers that caused them to appear in sub-menus.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

daniel.sneed wrote:AFAICT, DP allows one level deep nesting in plugin folders.
Unfortunately I think that only applies to MAS plug-ins, not AU. :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

My issue is I have s few programs that use AU and they want to load all of them. For example if I am using FCP it wants to load all the AU but I use DP7 for any real sound work. So does AudioFinder do this easy?
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.