$29 - 3 day sale - CHOIR Evo Vocal Multiplier

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cbergm7210
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by cbergm7210 »

Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
daveyboy

Post by daveyboy »

I bought it today an used it to, get this, emulate a choir! It worked quite well so I'm happy (and so is the client). We only used 3 tracks and put it on every track. Threw on a little hall verb and there ya go. Very cool.
Dave
www.dbwproductions.com
10 core IMac w/128 gbs ram, DP11, Logic10x and PT 12, 4 room commercial studio (tuned by Bob Hodas) great for producers and composers!
HCMarkus

Re: $29 - 3 day sale - CHOIR Evo Vocal Multiplier

Post by HCMarkus »

I Just bought it. Figured I could probably reproduce the effect with multiple instantiations of Auto Tune and Delay, or Waves' Doubler, but it hardly seemed worth wasting the time when the plug is $29.00. I've yet to try it, but glad to hear your client was satisfied Davey.
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

I have it. It's ok. It reasonably fools the ear. Depending on the usage and if you sit it in the mix well it can do the job for some people. It's hard to tell the difference between 8 and 32 voices, but it's $29. If you really need that effect, cool.

It sounds a little more realistic than Waves Doubler. I tried 3 instances of WD4 on a track. I then put Choir on the same track. A/B'd them. Yeah, Choir sounds more convincing to my ears, but not by much.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

nightwatch wrote:I have it. It's ok. It reasonably fools the ear. Depending on the usage and if you sit it in the mix well it can do the job for some people. It's hard to tell the difference between 8 and 32 voices, but it's $29. If you really need that effect, cool.

It sounds a little more realistic than Waves Doubler. I tried 3 instances of WD4 on a track. I then put Choir on the same track. A/B'd them. Yeah, Choir sounds more convincing to my ears, but not by much.
What about putting the 3 instances of Waves on top of the Choir Evo? Double the choir? :shock:
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

cbergm7210 wrote:
nightwatch wrote:I have it. It's ok. It reasonably fools the ear. Depending on the usage and if you sit it in the mix well it can do the job for some people. It's hard to tell the difference between 8 and 32 voices, but it's $29. If you really need that effect, cool.

What about putting the 3 instances of Waves on top of the Choir Evo? Double the choir? :shock:
Why not? I just tried what you suggested and it didn't change much. After about 8 voices it all sounds the same and starts to get too "flangy".

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

nightwatch wrote:
cbergm7210 wrote:

Makes sense. But, trying things like that is what we do striving for better outcomes, eh?

Why not? I just tried what you suggested and it didn't change much. After about 8 voices it all sounds the same and starts to get too "flangy".