PCIX-424 vs PCIe-424 Performance

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Michael Madio
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

PCIX-424 vs PCIe-424 Performance

Post by Michael Madio »

I have both PCI and PCIe slots available on my motherboard (Intel DQ67SW). is there any performance difference between the PCIX-424 and PCIe-424 card?
billruys
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: PCIX-424 vs PCIe-424 Performance

Post by billruys »

Motu published some info on their web site when the PCIe-424 first came out, espousing the benefits of PCIe in regard to it's higher potential throughput compared to PCI.

I expect, in real-world terms, there would not be a significant performance advantage for the PCIe card, but as PCI(X) will eventually disappear from all motherboards and PCIe is better on paper, it would make sense to go PCIe to future-proof yourself. The DSP chip responsible for mixing in CueMix is the same on both cards.

I have the PCIe-424 and it's great. There's no reason not to get the card with the newer bus technology if you have PCIe slots available.
natetosee
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by natetosee »

Hello fellow members. I have a 24 I/O external MOTU sound card. There are 12 MICS that I'm trying to run at the same time. If anyone knows the system requirements, just reply Yes or No to my questions in order.

Question 1: Is a 4 GB RAM memory, Athlon quad core 3.1 GHz processor with a 1 TB hard drive running SONAR X1 software on Windows 7 adequate enough to process 12 + microphones?

Question 2: Is a 7200 RPM hard drive good enough? Or, do I need 10K?

Thanks in advance and any advice is welcome.
torrentg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by torrentg »

It should be fine no matter what ya do.

Maybe it could get a little hectic if 12 channels of audio to HDD at 24 bit 192 kHz - but even then it should be fine - if the 24IO could even do that at all.

Edit: I see it only goes up to 96 kHz max - you will not have any problems at all.

For added storage performance, a good SSD or RAID HDDs would do well - but even these solutions are likely more than necessary.

Recommend to arm your 12 mic tracks and press record in Sonar. See how it does. :)