Steven Slate Drums 4 *was* completely useless in DP7

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
JMVideo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Steven Slate Drums 4 *was* completely useless in DP7

Post by JMVideo »

**Update - apparently the latest updates to VEPro 5 and SSD4 have resolved this problem**

I just bought SSD4 Platinum and was dismayed to discover it's such a memory hog, you can't load full kits within DP7 unless it's the ONLY plugin running!

To make matters worse, it currently doesn't work with Vienna Ensemble Pro. Argh! My host Mac running DP7 is a 32-bit quad core so I usually run all my 64-bit plugs through VEPro.

What a disappointment. Does anyone know if these issues are being worked on, or is my only hope an upgrade to a 64-bit host and DP8?
Last edited by JMVideo on Mon May 21, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Site Administrator

Re: Steven Slate Drums 4 completely useless in DP7!

Post by James Steele »

This topic goes in the Troubleshooting section. Moved. Hopefully you'll get some help. This sounds very unusual.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Alfred Zigoma

Post by Alfred Zigoma »

1.vsl promised to fix it in the nearest update
2.B SSD options you can choose the light version download samples.
Maybe this will help you the first time
MacPro Quad-Core 2.8 GHZ 16GB RAM OSX 10.10, MacBook Pro 13" 2.4GHz 8GB RAM OSX 10.11, Mac Mini MD388 OSX 10.10
DP 8, SSL MADI AlphaLink MX, UA Apollo, SSL Sigma, PMC Tb2, ATC SCM 20, SSL Alpha VHD Pre, Kemper, Powercore x8, UAD Octo, MC Mix(х2), MC Control, Melodyne, Revoice Pro, RX4, Soundtoys, McDSP, Waves, all Slate, VSL VE Pro, SE, Suite, NI Kontakt 5, Halion 5, MachFive 3, BPM, etc...
hrw

Post by hrw »

JMVideo wrote:I just bought SSD4 Platinum and was dismayed to discover it's such a memory hog, you can't load full kits within DP7 unless it's the ONLY plugin running!

To make matters worse, it currently doesn't work with Vienna Ensemble Pro. Argh! My host Mac running DP7 is a 32-bit quad core so I usually run all my 64-bit plugs through VEPro.

What a disappointment. Does anyone know if these issues are being worked on, or is my only hope an upgrade to a 64-bit host and DP8?
+1 Same problem. Waste of money.... very disappointing!!!
I would advise anyone against purchasing it at this point to use with DP.
They should've been more explicit about these issues. Hope it works soon.
Computer/s: OSX 10.8.3

2 x 2.66 GHz Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon w/ 16GB RAM,

DAW:DP8.05
Hardware: Apogee Duet
VI's/Plug-ins:
Kontakt 5.1, EW PLAY Libraries and a
million others.
JMVideo

Post by JMVideo »

The really frustrating part is that the drums sound freakin' awesome. Apparently the Vienna team is working to fix the problem with VE Pro, but no timeframe has been given for the release of the next update.

Post by Alfred Zigoma »

DP7.24, SSD4 1.096 beta, VEPro 5.0.10683 - all works perfectly
MacPro Quad-Core 2.8 GHZ 16GB RAM OSX 10.10, MacBook Pro 13" 2.4GHz 8GB RAM OSX 10.11, Mac Mini MD388 OSX 10.10
DP 8, SSL MADI AlphaLink MX, UA Apollo, SSL Sigma, PMC Tb2, ATC SCM 20, SSL Alpha VHD Pre, Kemper, Powercore x8, UAD Octo, MC Mix(х2), MC Control, Melodyne, Revoice Pro, RX4, Soundtoys, McDSP, Waves, all Slate, VSL VE Pro, SE, Suite, NI Kontakt 5, Halion 5, MachFive 3, BPM, etc...
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

There was an update yesterday but I haven't had a chance to try it yet -- also I think fast turnaround on another update was announced. They're working hard on any remaining problems. I haven't tried mine since it first came out, when it didn't work with DP7 yet.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
hrw

Post by hrw »

YES! It's finally working. Just updated VE Pro (5.0.10738) and SSD4 (1.096). At last. We need to change the topic heading now perhaps??
Computer/s: OSX 10.8.3

2 x 2.66 GHz Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon w/ 16GB RAM,

DAW:DP8.05
Hardware: Apogee Duet
VI's/Plug-ins:
Kontakt 5.1, EW PLAY Libraries and a
million others.
JMVideo

Re: Steven Slate Drums 4 *was* completely useless in DP7

Post by JMVideo »

Excellent! I will download the latest updates and give it a try.

Post by forjam »

I have similar problems with SD4. Low memory messages, not loading crash cymbals or electronic kits. It does open work with Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 outside of Pro Tools , but has the same problem. The problem is duplicated in Pro Tools 10, Logic 9.1 as well as the Vienna Ensemble Pro 5. I have an 8 core Mac Pro 24 gigs ram etc, etc. Like most working producers, I own and use most everything and expect a few hic cups with new tech, but can't wait to get these bugs fixed. The drums do sound amazing.
ForJam Productions http://forjam.com
daveyboy

Post by daveyboy »

I think version 1.1 of ssd4 will fix everything as it now does disk streaming. In loading gigantic cla kits that weigh in at over 1 gig and they're only taking up around 200 mbs of actual ram.
Dave
www.dbwproductions.com
10 core IMac w/128 gbs ram, DP11, Logic10x and PT 12, 4 room commercial studio (tuned by Bob Hodas) great for producers and composers!
forjam

Post by forjam »

I am using version 1.1. As far as streaming goes. these are small files. I stream an entire orchestra with my film template in Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 to Pro Tools 10 or even the same template in Logic 9. There is definitely a problem with memory allocation in my opinion. I also have some samples that won't load. The one's that do load are smoking hot! I will be in touch with them tomorrow to see if we can figure things out.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

I'm glad I saw this,I've been thinking of updating SSD3 EX (which I never liked or used)to SSD4 EX with the sale($49 until Tuesday)
I've heard the new SSD4 is much better but hearing this, as a DP8 user that does not use VEP ,I think I'm going to hold off.
So most users find they need to use SSD4 with VEP to get this to work with DP?
Thanks
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
forjam

Post by forjam »

I don't know what happened, but I did get SSD4 to run in VEP Pro 5 outside of Pro Tools 10. I imported cymbals from the individual library to complete a kit. I made these adjustments in SSD settings:

Drumkit Detail: Medium
Resampling Quality: Normal

Memory Guard mode: Off
Disk Streaming: Big

This is an amazing library. I don't know why it started working but will still follow up with Slate tomorrow. Good luck.