New Compressor - Could be good...?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bolla
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New Compressor - Could be good...?

Post by bolla »

cbergm7210 wrote:This is my go to guy to check prices first. He is fantastic:

Arthur Alexander
arteksound@earthlink.net
Thanks for this,
Bolla
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

Frodo wrote:It's good if you use it "good".
I think a wise short guy with pointy ears once said that.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

The more I use UBK-1 the more I love it. It's definitely a winner.

DP 7.21 has crashed a few times when I was moving UBK-1 to a different insert slot. That's the only problem I've experienced with it. But after that, moving some Waves plugs crashed DP, too, so maybe something else is causing it. DP7.21 has been so incredibly stable for me that it's rather shocking to have it crash at all.
DP10.13
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

Dan Worley wrote:The more I use UBK-1 the more I love it. It's definitely a winner.

DP 7.21 has crashed a few times when I was moving UBK-1 to a different insert slot. That's the only problem I've experienced with it. But after that, moving some Waves plugs crashed DP, too, so maybe something else is causing it. DP7.21 has been so incredibly stable for me that it's rather shocking to have it crash at all.

Me too, Dan-O. I slap it on a track and pretty much like it or dislike it right away. It's cool you can switch between 5 different compressor types that all do completely different things to the track, pick the one you want, then back the mix off to get the desired effect.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

Another possibly worth a look..

http://www.cytomic.com/glue
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

OK I tried the demo on a couple tracks, not on the 2 buss yet.. it is very good. Has that sort of "turn it on and it's magic" appeal, to my ear. I might get it.

Cytomic's Glue is also wonderful, SSL 4k buss comp, with a few extras..
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Julia123
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Julia123 »

I checked out the videos, seems cool and different. Of those who have tried it, what kind of tracks have you experimented with besides full mix? I only have DP's built in compressors at this time plus one that came with Garage Band. I'm pretty much a novice with compressors/Limiters and usually just mess with them till they sound right. BTW, my only live audio are vocals and flute. The rest are VI.
iMac 27" 4.2 GHz i7 1TB SSD. 40 GB RAM. Apogee One.
Julia123

Post by Julia123 »

Not only is it good, it is GREAT!!!! Thanks Cbergm for the the info on purchasing it--- very cool person to deal with!!!!!
iMac 27" 4.2 GHz i7 1TB SSD. 40 GB RAM. Apogee One.
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

Julia123 wrote:Not only is it good, it is GREAT!!!! Thanks Cbergm for the the info on purchasing it--- very cool person to deal with!!!!!
You bet. Family helps family, eh?

I am pretty much trying this thing on everything. Very versatile. 8)

labman

Post by labman »

our engineer says he is able to just use UBK where he would need two or three tools previously. And work faster.

So that means it was well worth the licenses.

(And the video manual is superbly done. Everyone should folllow his lead!
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

labman wrote:our engineer says he is able to just use UBK where he would need two or three tools previously. And work faster.

So that means it was well worth the licenses.

(And the video manual is superbly done. Everyone should folllow his lead!
+1

I feel the same way. Less tools to reach for and the videos were extremely well done. Not vague in the least. Real examples given in real time. I was actually entertained, too.
DP10.13
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Fascinating, this compressor is definitely food for thought.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

Just want to reiterate what a cool comp this is. Does what no other can. If you have not checked it out, you should. It's getting daily use over here in beautiful High Ridge, MO.

jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

Do you find find your self fighting distortion and good settings? I need to go back and read about this plug because I must be doing something wrong. Also do you use it mainly as a in channel plug, 2bus, side chained. Where and what do you find it most useful for.
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
http://www.HorizonEntertainment-NC.com
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

jbyerly1 wrote:Do you find find your self fighting distortion and good settings? I need to go back and read about this plug because I must be doing something wrong. Also do you use it mainly as a in channel plug, 2bus, side chained. Where and what do you find it most useful for.
If you're getting distortion it could be because of the Headroom knob is too far counterclockwise. I think the creator said to have the green light blinking every so often as a starting point and experiment from there. Also I have found that the saturation and density knobs can create unusable distortion on some source material, so if you hear anything disable those and see if it goes away.

I try this thing on pretty much everything except things that I am trying to shape with a compressor, like a snare drum or vocals that need to be surgically reigned in. How he describes it as a "motion" compressor is right on. It breathes life when put on drum subs, acoustic guitar, piano, submixes, whatever. Don't forget to experiment with the sidechain high pass knob.