And now, for a truly idiotic question.....

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
gavspen
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

And now, for a truly idiotic question.....

Post by gavspen »

Here goes:

I made a typo when entering my name while installing DP, so that now, every time the logo page comes up as it opens, there's the typo, bottom left. Who cares? Well, in this case, the typo happens to be a rather unflattering term in Italian, which happens to be the language of my wife's ancestors. Any way to correct this? Where does this little piece of information reside?

And yes, I am fully aware of the pathetic nature of this enquiry, thank you very much :wink:
Mac mini M1, 13.5.1, 16gigs RAM, 828 mk3 Hybrid, DP 11.23, Various VIs
bayswater

Re: And now, for a truly idiotic question.....

Post by bayswater »

Brute force method is to remove the hidden authorization file (search on this forum to see how to do that), delete DP and reinstall. Repeat as necessary.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Yeah.

Search for:

File name contains: auth
File visibility: invisible

Throw DP's auth file in the trash, but make sure there is another file in the trash, or put the auth file in a new folder and throw that folder in the trash and then empty the trash.

Repair permissions.

Reinstall and authorize DP.
DP10.13
Agent of Random

Post by Agent of Random »

A quick method if you are using DP 7.24:

Quit DP and go to HD > Library > Application Support > MOTU and move the Digital Performer folder to the desktop. Re-launch DP and you will be asked to re-authorize.

Most of the contents of the DP folder on the desktop should get re-created, but you should go through this folder and make sure to copy anything that wasn't re-created into the new DP folder (inHD > Library > Application Support > MOTU) before trashing the desktop folder.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Agent of Random wrote:A quick method if you are using DP 7.24:

Quit DP and go to HD > Library > Application Support > MOTU and move the Digital Performer folder to the desktop. Re-launch DP and you will be asked to re-authorize.

Most of the contents of the DP folder on the desktop should get re-created, but you should go through this folder and make sure to copy anything that wasn't re-created into the new DP folder (inHD > Library > Application Support > MOTU) before trashing the desktop folder.
Assuming it works, that's a great tip and good advice.
DP10.13
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

Thaaaat's what I was hoping for; thanks. I'll give it a try and report back.
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

It's not working. When I try to move the "Digital Performer" folder to the desktop, the finder makes a copy of it, and the original is left in the MOTU folder. This happens with any of the folders in the MOTU folder. However, I am able to move the entire MOTU folder to the desktop without it making a copy of it, or anything inside. What's that about??

It's never simple, is it?

Any thoughts? Thanks
Agent of Random

gavspen wrote:

It's not working. When I try to move the "Digital Performer" folder to the desktop, the finder makes a copy of it, and the original is left in the MOTU folder. This happens with any of the folders in the MOTU folder. However, I am able to move the entire MOTU folder to the desktop without it making a copy of it, or anything inside. What's that about??

Any thoughts? Thanks
I think it's a permissions issue. Drag the folder to the desktop to make a copy. Next, click on the original inside the MOTU folder and select "move to trash" from the File menu. It will ask for your admin password, but once you do that the folder should be trashed (but you'll still have the copy on the desktop).
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

Agent of Random wrote:
gavspen wrote:

Any thoughts? Thanks
I think it's a permissions issue. Drag the folder to the desktop to make a copy. Next, click on the original inside the MOTU folder and select "move to trash" from the File menu. It will ask for your admin password, but once you do that the folder should be trashed (but you'll still have the copy on the desktop).
Done, but this time I get the following error message:

Digital Performer has encountered an error.

MacOS error: Access Denied. Insufficient access privileges for
the operation. (-5000)

Permissions have been recently repaired, for what it's worth. If you can be bothered to spend any more time on this, know that it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Agent of Random

Hmmm that's strange. Usually "access denied" means it is a permissions problem. If repairing disc permissions doesn't help, try manually setting the permissions on the MOTU folder (right click and select "get info") to "read and write" and then select "apply to enclosed" from the little star icon at the bottom of the Info window.
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

Agent of Random wrote:Hmmm that's strange. Usually "access denied" means it is a permissions problem. If repairing disc permissions doesn't help, try manually setting the permissions on the MOTU folder (right click and select "get info") to "read and write" and then select "apply to enclosed" from the little star icon at the bottom of the Info window.
Oy vay, it never ends.... :? :lol:

Methinks I wasnt clear. I got that error message as DP opened after I had thrown away the Digital Performer folder (in the manner you described). Would that still be permissions? I was able to throw it away, after all.

Anyway, I did as you suggested - changed the MOTU folder and its contents to "Read & Write", threw away the Digital Performer folder again, and opened up DP without a problem. In other words, I did not have to re-authorize.

You're probably pretty sick of this by now, right?..... :lol:
Agent of Random

hmmm yea at this point I can't be much help. You're definitely running 7.24, right? Seems to work fine on my system...at least it did at one point.
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

Agent of Random wrote:hmmm yea at this point I can't be much help. You're definitely running 7.24, right? Seems to work fine on my system...at least it did at one point.
So you're saying that at some point you had to throw away your DP folder and this caused you to have to re-authorize? Didnt happen here. Yes, I'm running 7.24.

Oh well, thanks for trying. I do appreciate it.

Gavin
Agent of Random

Yes. Since Lion for some reason blocks the auth file from being written in older versions of DP, they had to change the location of the auth file for DP7.24. The Digital Performer folder in app support is where it should be (although it is hidden/invisible), therefore removing that folder removes the auth file.

Are you running Lion (EDIT oh duhhh according to your sig you're on SL)? If not, maybe the older auth file is still on your system and is confusing the program...not sure what to do about that, but that might explain things.
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

Agent, in case you care, I cracked it!

I used Terminal to show all the hidden files (there are a lot of them!), moved the DP auth file to the trash and opened DP. Voila! I re-authorized and corrected the stupid typo. No muss, no fuss, no re-install....took two minutes. I'm so proud of myself...lol

Gavin