Identical Mixes of a Project and a Second Edited One?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by buzzsmith »

Hi, all.

I have a client that just told me that he'd like two versions of his project.

One would have the form that he originally wanted, the second would have 4 bars added to two different sections in the piece.

To avoid copying multiple EQs, plug-ins, etc., my thought is to mix the first version completely then do a "Save a Copy" and duplicate the soundbites. Then open that project with the mix and everything else in place and insert the two 4 bar elements. (editing should be easy)

This way, I have everything in place mix-wise and should be able to run a second mix with just minor adjustments for those two "new" areas if needed.

Make sense?

Thanks...

Buzzy

Edit: I don't want to modify the primary project, in case we add or make changes down the road. The primary project is the one that is most "valuable" to him. The second edited one is just a different version and, well,..."secondary"!
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

fullertime

Post by fullertime »

Try using a new sequence within the same project;

"Select All" then -> "Copy selected to new sequence" once you have it mixed.

Then adjust the structure of the new sequence. That way you can go back and forth in the same project. It will keep all your settings.

That's what I do whenever I'm doing multiple versions or keys of the same song.

Plus it's east to find them
FULLER - Raleigh/Durham, NC

"You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do."
--------------------
MacPro 3gHz 8-Core 16 GRam// OS 10.7.5 // ApogeePSX 100 // MOTU896 // MOTU Audio Express // DP8.01 //
funkyfreddy

Re: Identical Mixes of a Project and a Second Edited One?

Post by funkyfreddy »

I do this all the time and then compare the 2 mixes..... I do a "save as"w the date appended or a slightly different title to the same project folder. This way you don't have to duplicate all of your audio to another drive which can potentially use up a lot of hard drive space on the larger projects.

I make some radical edits at times and like to be able to go back to what I had when they don't turn out so well, which tends to be 50% of the time in my case :)
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 16 GB RAM OSX 11.2 Big Sur
UAD Apollo Quad DP11.22 some Waves, Soundtoys, Digital Performer 11.2, Reason 12, iZotope 11, and lots of real instruments to play :)
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Identical Mixes of a Project and a Second Edited One?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Duplicate mix, definitely. If you have a lot of VIs consider a V-Rack for faster switching between sequences. Otherwise your loosing a lot of time for the reloads.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS