Calling all guitarists

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Frodo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Calling all guitarists

Post by Frodo »

mhschmieder wrote:... But with Gretsch, there are so many PUP choices and I'm real particular about which ones (there are three that I like; the others are too dark and wooly for me). probably the first time I've tried a Gretsch over $500 that I didn't like. :-)
You'd probably be a candidate for a Gretsch model with the TV Jones pups (as with the Seltzer models). The old filtertrons and their remakes are "wooly", as you say-- but a lot of guys like that quality. Interesting that some I've heard from say that the Jones pups are cleaner but the filtertons have more "bite". Others say that the TVJ pups cut better.

More taste. Less filling.

I've got filtertons on my 6119 and can't complain about them. I woudn't change them out for anything.... unless I could get my hands on a pair of G. Harrison "hi-lo" single coils.

Just for "fun" and to keep the building on fire-- here is a *sort of* history of Gretsch pups.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Interesting timing; I just had a rockabilly guy over here to buy my Squier Tele that I just upgraded a few days ago, and we started talking Gretsch. We both agreed that TV Jones, FilterTron, and Hi-Lo, are the PUPS to go for; each with their own mojo going on.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

A tangent-- more about pups.

:wink:
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nothing like pulling at those heart strings!!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Canadian PUPS aren't as cute, but they can take the winter better.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

bayswater wrote:Canadian PUPS aren't as cute, but they can take the winter better.
I wouldn't argue with that!!

Ah. This thread started long ago, and in recent months I've been just overwhelmed with responsibility that has not included the guitar. For the first time in ages, I actually have one evening with no obligations. I think I'll pull out one of my Gretches and will strum along to some DVD from the 60s for the first time this year.

That said, my search for some hi-los or a Gretsch already outfitted with them is on!! I just need a job. :?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Frodo wrote:Ah. This thread started long ago,
and long may it live.
Frodo wrote:pull out one of my Gretches
what a great thing to be able to say.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

bayswater wrote:
Frodo wrote:pull out one of my Gretches
what a great thing to be able to say.
Nothing fancy. I have two, though. One is a Duo-Jet Electromatic model. I suspect that the pups are the cheaper TVJs. The other is a used reissue 6119 with a pair of those "mellow" tron pups.

"Used" and "reissue". The only thing missing is the garbage can (!) --- well, almost. We're just not talking top-dollar vintage, but I like them both. Electronics are clean, both are comfortable to play, and they both have *that sound*.

Time for a rooftop concert.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Correction: :oops:

My Gretsch 6119 has Hi-Lo pups on it. It's the Duo-Jet that has the FilterTron humbuckers. Sorry to have mistaken one for the other.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I was wondering about that -- thought maybe you had a custom model. :-)

That DuoJet is on my "long list", but as my "short list" is now exhausted, I may move on to the "long list" next year. :shock:
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

The Janglebox arrived and so I carefully opened the package and first read the directions. :shock:

Ok that was BS. :lol:

The thing can run on a 9V battery or a typical stompbox 9V adaptor. I had a Boss adaptor lying around from some long dead stomp box and plugged it in and it worked fine. The silver version's power input is rigged to accept either polarity - I think this was a problem in the original design.

Fired up Jambalaya and a nice neutral Amplitube preset - basic clean amp - no verb - tuned up the 12 string and strummed a few chords to get the "before" feel and then clicked it on.

Dead silence. Oh, gain, duh. Seriously the thing does what it says it does. The sustain really opened up and the thing got very chimey on the normal EQ setting. Kicking in the treble switch and yeah, I'm in the middle of a Byrds record. A bit extreme. Normal was generally adequate for a nice big sound. It did make clear the need for an intonation adjustment on my 12 string though.

I then tried it with the Jerry Jones sitar. It really likes the sitar but the sitar wants the treble boost on. Makes the thing sound much bigger.

For the money it is hard to beat this one.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Great going, Six. It's great to hear that you can dial it back to the right point. I'd rather have that convenience than to max it out and still not get enough of the right sound.

It's kind of ironic to see both stomp boxes and software plugins get their share of praise and suspicion these days. I believe in using what works. This JangleBox is definitely on my list. For a whole different guitar and a more contemporary sound, I'm looking at some of the Satriani stomp boxes from Vox. Ice 9 and the Satchurator are the ones that have my attention at the moment.
mhschmieder wrote:I was wondering about that -- thought maybe you had a custom model. :-)
Yes, the Gretsch pups have a long history even on this one particular model. It's hard to keep up with them all. I hadn't played my 6119 since last summer, so the Duo-Jet humbuckers were fresher in my mind than they probably should have been.

A brief history of the 6119 models:

The first issue had one FilterTron pup by DeArmond, and of course one volume knob and one tone switch. If you run into one of these, just know that they are very rare:

6119 original (restored)

Another version

6119 with a (Rickenbacker?) toaster pickup

Another-- single pup at the neck position

1959, Chet Atkins' influence played a huge role. By 1962 the body was thinner and a "zero fret" was added. These were the first ones with the Hi-Lo single coil pups. This was Harrison's model.

There were minor changes for a good while (more info below). FilterTron humbuckers of a variety appeared on various models. By the 70s, it was the Baldwin era with more minor changes. The old 6119 Tennesseans got real f-holes, a new model number of 7655, but retained the pair of (updated ?) FilterTrons. Apparently, the 6119s with closed f-holes were temporarily retired.

The 90s brought back the 6119 model number. The former code name of "Tennessean" was renamed "Tennessee Rose" with a few more semi-minor but significant modifications. Still, the pups were FilterTrons, probably updated yet again.

It was 2002 when the 6119HT became the "official" reissue model on which the Hi-Lo pups were brought back for the first time. I'm *now* sure that this is the one I have (because a 1959 Hi-Lo vintage is out of the question).

For a detailed history of the Gretsch pups, CLICK HERE.

Just FYI-- The Monkees (Naismith) used Gretsches with SuperTrons. Instead of screw polepoints, they used thin bars. The idea was to offer higher output so that signal wouldn't close off so quickly during note-bending.

Anyone interested in Gretsch collecting? THIS is a great site with lots of info on serial and model numbers.

Don't mind me. I'm just making up for lost time by losing the time already lost!
zed

Post by zed »

SixStringGeek wrote:I then tried it with the Jerry Jones sitar. It really likes the sitar but the sitar wants the treble boost on. Makes the thing sound much bigger.
Congrats on the arrival of your JangleBox. You got the JB2, right?

If it is convenient for you to do so, I would absolutely love to hear what the JangleBox does to the Jerry Jones sitar. I've been wanting one of those for a while now, and do intend to get one at some point. It would be really neat to get an idea of how the JangleBox compliments it.

So, would you say that with the compressor deactivated this box is similar to a Treble Booster? They call it a Compression Sustainer, but it is basically a Treble Booster with a special compressor built in... correct?

I'm sending them an e-mail to find out how long the "Limited Edition" Byrds model will be available. I want this thing in black.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

zed wrote:
SixStringGeek wrote:I then tried it with the Jerry Jones sitar. It really likes the sitar but the sitar wants the treble boost on. Makes the thing sound much bigger.
Congrats on the arrival of your JangleBox. You got the JB2, right?

If it is convenient for you to do so, I would absolutely love to hear what the JangleBox does to the Jerry Jones sitar. I've been wanting one of those for a while now, and do intend to get one at some point. It would be really neat to get an idea of how the JangleBox compliments it.

So, would you say that with the compressor deactivated this box is similar to a Treble Booster? They call it a Compression Sustainer, but it is basically a Treble Booster with a special compressor built in... correct?
Uncle Sam hit me really hard this year and I just settled my divorce. To quote Ray Charles - I'm flat busted. :shake: So I got the silver import one to save some cash.

As to what it does - I'm not quite sure how it works. Obviously there is some compression because it really improves the sustain of notes. I believe the little info card that came with it says if you kick the three position EQ switch to "bright" it kicks in a treble booster.

You know Jerry Jones folded, right? You'll have to score one on the used market. Looking at ebay I think I could make some $$ on the thing.

Anyhow, I will try to get a little time to record a demo this weekend so you can hear. One problem with the sitar I have is the high E seems to lack the power of the other strings. The box evens this out nicely.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.