Routings window blank - Micro express USB

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
exaisle
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Routings window blank - Micro express USB

Post by exaisle »

I've recently acquired a Micro Express USB second hand.

I have installed the latest drivers (v.4.0.4.8697) and the newest version of Clockworks from the MOTU website.

My problem is that the routings window in Clockworks is blank.

I also tried to older driver and Clockworks (v. 2.5.1) and encountered a similar problem.

Assuming the problem to be that the unit needed an eprom upgrade,(the serial number does not include "M/W" I purchased the relevant eprom from the local MOTU agents (I'm in Ireland).

As it turns out, the eprom was labelled "Micro USB 2.0.1"....the same as the eprom in the unit so it looks like the upgrade had already been done...so €/$20 down the drain but no big deal.

When I installed the older drivers and Clockworks, a message appeared saying "Clockworks cannot communicate with the device. It may be switched off or unplugged" (or something similar).

When I check the Device Manager in the Control Panel, a "MOTU MIDI device" appears amongst the "sound, video and game controllers" and checking the properties tab shows that as far as windows is concerned, "the device is working properly".(I'm running Windows XP SP3.)

I have an older parallel port version of the Micro Express (working perfectly!) and tried loading a .cwf file from that but that proved fruitless too.

Needless to say, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

E.
exaisle

Re: Routings window blank - Micro express USB

Post by exaisle »

Just as an added extra, I installed Clockworks (both versions, 4.0.4.8697 first, then unintalled it, then installed V.2.5.1) on another PC running XP and experienced the same problem.

It it possible that there is a fault in the Micro Express which is causing the problem rather then in the installation of Clockworks and the relevant drivers?
binegar

Post by binegar »

I'm having almost exactly the same problem. I have a Micro Express USB that just arrived via Ebay. I installed ClockWorks from MIDI_Installer_Win_110806.zip (Windows 7 Ultimate). However, nothing is showing up in the Routing Page of the ClockWorks software. OTOH, the manual is so sparse on setting up routing, I have to presume that all my connected MIDI devices are be magically recognized and then appear on the Routing page. This, however, is not happening.
exaisle

Post by exaisle »

@binegar - I have another Micro Express, but it's one of the old type which connected via the parallel port, not the newer USB version. Clockworks installed and works without any problem. The routings page doesnt need much in the way of instructions as it's quite easy to figure out how to use it.
paulmapp8306
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by paulmapp8306 »

Hi all - a really old thread, however. I literally bought a brand new Moto Express about a month ago. I bought it as a stand alone patchbay for my keys rig and have just used the factory "merge all" preset which was fine.

Ive recently added a hardware sequencer - but I need to do a custom routing fdor it to work without MIDI loops. Basically I just need to stop the sequencers input from routing to its output - like the keys preset BUT only for one input. The others need to stay on merge all.

However, as per the OP many years ago - the routings tab is completely blank..... REALLY expensive unit if the custom routings option doesnt work..... Should have just bout a merger and a splitter and run both. 1/3 the price and two box's but would work as I wanted.

Rather disappointed TBH...... ive raised a tech ticket but not had an answer yet.