Drag and Drop from Superior Drummer into DP?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
wolfetho
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Drag and Drop from Superior Drummer into DP?

Post by wolfetho »

Hello:

I'm using Superior Drummer v. 2.3 and DP 2.74.
I just discovered that when I try to drag and drop into DP
individual MIDI drum parts(snare, kick, HH)from an entire groove,
that it doesn't retain the same timing as the groove when its
played within Superior Drummer.

For example, if I drag each part (snare, kick, HH) onto separate MIDI
tracks in DP, the snare is playing on beats 1 and 3 instead of 2 and 4
like it does in Superior.The kick and hh seem OK, but when I add the snare
its off.When I drag the entire MIDI loop (the one that plays all three drum parts together) its fine. Is this feature in Superior and E-Z player Pro that splits your MIDI drum parts not compatible with DP?

Thanks,
Tom
RROY
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Drag and Drop from Superior Drummer into DP?

Post by RROY »

Just tried this in DP 7.24 and can confirm that snare parts do not position themselves properly. Never tried this before. Kick's and hihats do seem to be okay. Tried doing this in Logic and snare parts are okay there. So this may be A DP bug. You could drag the complete file into DP and separate the kick,hat and snare on to there own tracks.
Mac Pro 2x2.4 quad core /24 gb ram/OS 10.13.6, Dp 10.13, MTP AV, /UAD 2, KOMPLETE 12, Stylus RMX, SD 3.0, EZ Drummer 3, A&H ZED R 16.
wolfetho

Post by wolfetho »

Thanks RROY for trying this. Yes,I tried the same thing (w/ same files)
into Ableton Live v.8 and they played fine.I hope this bug can be fixed.
I really like being able to drag split files into DP. It really makes it easier to
process and edit parts separately.

Thanks,
Tom
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

How and where are you dragging and dropping them? (TO, SE, GE...)

Also, is the target editor window quantized-enabled?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

Unfortunately, if you're just dragging snares or kicks from a SD groove, the first snare hit = the beginning of the selection and thus, the beginning of the loop (since it snaps to the grid in the Tracks window on the basis of the first actual note). Your best best it to drag the entire groove into one track, replicate that track as many times as you need and eliminate the other drums from each one of those tracks to obtain the isolated sound you're going for -- that's likely the only way your snares, kicks, etc. will stay in place in relation to one another across a number of loop tracks. Bear in mind, too, that when you select the portion of a snare track for a loop, the selection has to be the exact same length (and with the same start and end positions) as the selection for the kick, the hats, etc., or they'll play out of sync with one another. You can also try dragging your MIDI elements into the tracks as you described, then, selecting all the notes in that track and nudging them where they're actually supposed to start, but it sounds pretty much like what you're already doing.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
wolfetho

Post by wolfetho »

Thanks guys! I'm dropping the files in the Tracks window in DP.
I'm wondering why the same
drag and drop method works fine in
Live and Logic, and not DP. Is this a bug?
I was really looking forward to using this split
feature in Superior and EZPlayer Pro.
TnMike

Post by TnMike »

I hear what you're saying. I've been dealing with that problem for a while. The kick and hat drag in fine because the first note of each track is on 1/000. The snare (which are on 2 and 4 most of the time) drags in on 1/000 therefore making the snare on 1 and 3. Big glitch. Separating the combined groove after the fact is a pain especially if the pattern is complex. I don't use the grooves anymore for that reason.

G5 2.7 GHZ, DP 7.24, MOTU 2408, Ivory, SD2, B4ll, UAD-1, Melodyne, Ramza DA-7,
Mac Pro Intel 2010, 16 gigs RAM, Apollo Quad, 2408 mkIII, Raven Mti2, UAD-2, MTPAV, Superior Drummer 3.0 drums, Ivory piano, B4 organ, PodProxt, Kemper, Ozone 9, Apogee Mini-Me, Roland R-8
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

TnMike wrote:Separating the combined groove after the fact is a pain especially if the pattern is complex. I don't use the grooves anymore for that reason.

Wow - not using the grooves - that's a big loss . This works fine for me in 8.04 - the groove is a certain length and if I drag it into that slot in the Tracks window it works a treat.

But the whole reason I would use a groove is generally because it fits and that includes the relationship between kick and snare. The grooves are really good and bring the sound of a real drummer to a track and bring it to life. If I was just using the snare from a groove I might as well just program it in myself. I have so many grooves to choose from and fills its hard not to find a perfect fit with minimal editing.

If you just highlighted the kick and snare in the groove and dragged that across its only a click on the piano roll to highlight all the kick drum hits and then delete. Not that much of a pain. No real point in using Superior Drummer if you don't use the grooves - as there are plenty of ways to use sampled drums with other methods - even the drum module in DP.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

I've just confirmed that If you drag the loop from Superior to the empty Left part of the Track Overview in DP, It's working fine.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
dave pine

Post by dave pine »

why not drag the whole beat and use split notes to seperate the tracks
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump
TnMike

Post by TnMike »

Great, I'll give that a try...thanks!

Mac Pro Intel 2010, 16 gigs RAM, Apollo Quad, 2408 mkIII, Raven Mti2, UAD-2, MTPAV, Superior Drummer 3.0 drums, Ivory piano, B4 organ, PodProxt, Kemper, Ozone 9, Apogee Mini-Me, Roland R-8
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

Guitar Gaz wrote:No real point in using Superior Drummer if you don't use the grooves - as there are plenty of ways to use sampled drums with other methods - even the drum module in DP.
Not necessarily -- Superior Drummer has a pretty extensive interface, a full mixer with its own insert FX and a mind-boggling amount of articulations and mic placement to contend with. It even renders its own audio to file. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the kit itself, so I switch up between its stock kit for some things and various EZDrummer kits for others.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Armageddon wrote:
Guitar Gaz wrote:No real point in using Superior Drummer if you don't use the grooves - as there are plenty of ways to use sampled drums with other methods - even the drum module in DP.
Not necessarily -- Superior Drummer has a pretty extensive interface, a full mixer with its own insert FX and a mind-boggling amount of articulations and mic placement to contend with. It even renders its own audio to file. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the kit itself, so I switch up between its stock kit for some things and various EZDrummer kits for others.
With the EZX kits of which there are several, with the choices of drums within those kits, and with X-drums meaning you can add drums from different kits to your own custom kit, there is never any need to use the "stock" kit. And I say again, the groove files are superb - you can drag single drums across, a combination of drums, or the whole loop for great results. And its easy to audition loops before you drag and drop, or just for playing along to. So I can't fault it and it has saved me countless hours programming drums and fills - I can always find something better than I could ever do. I stick to the guitars and keyboards and singing and leave the drums (barring occasional editing) to the experts.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.