UAD Apollo

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

UAD Apollo

Post by Phil O »

Have you guys seen this:
http://www.uaudio.com/apollo
Could be a game changer...don't know. :?

Some interesting points:
Authorization file lives on the hardware, so you can move it from system to system.
All of your current authorized pluggins will work on it.
Thunderbolt card coming this summer.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
kgdrum

UAD Apollo

Post by kgdrum »

Hi Phil,
Yeah this looks like a very nice direction UA has headed.
There's a thread on GS of users who actually have the unit and they're doing the customary shootouts already! lol
1st reports are very good,I've lusted over making a move towards Metric Halo for a while but this new UA Apollo offering is starting to change my mind, it looks very promising.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much- ... eview.html
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Phil O

Re: UAD Apollo

Post by Phil O »

Yeah, I've got an Apogee Rosetta 800 (gives me 8 channels in) and for the rare occasion that I need extra inputs I use one of my old 828 originals. They are getting pretty tired though and I've often thought of getting an extra 8 of something nice. I'm not sure if this fits into that category or not, but I'm keeping a close eye on it. I've also been looking at the Lynx Aurora, but Thunderbolt may be the deciding factor.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
kgdrum

UAD Apollo

Post by kgdrum »

Plus having the UAD plugs onboard, to me this looks like a game changer!
From what I understand it's capable of more plug instances than UAD cards with less latency and having portability with the UAD plugs and auth's ported from a users cards,this looks like a home run.
I trust UAD in their ability to design and build a great 1st run product with good preamps Dacs etc......
In not going to be in a position to get this now, I'd want to upgrade to a newer thunderbolt Mac(hopefully the next generation of MacPro's) as well as the financial burden a double switch like this is just beyond my $$ means presently or in the near actual future.
But I do hope UA will have another killer Quad card promotion this summer again,if they have one like last summers Quadfest I'll be all over it.
Yes I'm a UAFanboy! ;-)
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
FutureLegends

UAD Apollo

Post by FutureLegends »

This unit looks great. I want one really bad. This will be my next audio interface upgrade when (if) I can afford. And with iMacs getting more and more powerful this unit + an iMac looks like a very plausible solution.

I hope any eventual new Mac Pros come as rack mount without PCI slots. I've had it with PCI cards...
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
davelee

Post by davelee »

This look very nice.As an Apogee Ensemble owner I also wonder what Apogee might come up with re:Thunderbolt...
Mac Mini 2.3 i7 Quad 16 gig RAM OS 10.10.1, Macbook Pro Dual Core 2.16 4 gig RAM 10.10.1, Digital Performer 8.07,Universal Audio Quad, Mackie Onyx 800R, Yamaha Motif ES Rack, Omnisphere, RMX and Trilian,Komplete 9 Ultimate, Ivory I, BFD 2, Korg LCDE, Real Guitar, Real Strat, Ethno 2, Altiverb 7,True Pianos, Synplant, Microtonic, Dynaudio BM6a, Avantone Mix Cubes, Alphatrack, Mackie Big Knob,Yamaha KX-8,Yamaha KX-76,Axiom 25...and more.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I saw the demo of this unit at NAMM and the coolest thing is that they had a singer tracking through the UA plugs in near realtime... you could actually track through the plugs, not just process after the fact.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
kgdrum

UAD Apollo

Post by kgdrum »

Yes that's correct,there are some interesting threads(before they devolve)on GS from users with samples of works created with the Apollo(too much gear section)
User name: cowboycoalminer has some great examples.
Even the most critical posters are freaking out at the quality of this new unit,IMO it's a groundbreaking I/O that's sending shockwaves through the industry.
James Steele
Site Administrator

UAD Apollo

Post by James Steele »

What is the price on this again??

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
davelee

Post by davelee »

There will be various prices...depending on which option you choose.Duo or Quad for the effects processing.Also the Thunderbolt option is coming later this year.The UA website has details I believe.Also got an email from UA today about them going 64 bit and an offer for UAD-1 users as the UAD-1 cards will be discontinued.
Mac Mini 2.3 i7 Quad 16 gig RAM OS 10.10.1, Macbook Pro Dual Core 2.16 4 gig RAM 10.10.1, Digital Performer 8.07,Universal Audio Quad, Mackie Onyx 800R, Yamaha Motif ES Rack, Omnisphere, RMX and Trilian,Komplete 9 Ultimate, Ivory I, BFD 2, Korg LCDE, Real Guitar, Real Strat, Ethno 2, Altiverb 7,True Pianos, Synplant, Microtonic, Dynaudio BM6a, Avantone Mix Cubes, Alphatrack, Mackie Big Knob,Yamaha KX-8,Yamaha KX-76,Axiom 25...and more.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

davelee wrote:There will be various prices...depending on which option you choose.Duo or Quad for the effects processing.Also the Thunderbolt option is coming later this year.The UA website has details I believe.Also got an email from UA today about them going 64 bit and an offer for UAD-1 users as the UAD-1 cards will be discontinued.
Interesting... seems it would be cool if you could get a Mac that has Thunderbold AND PCIe someday. Conceivably you could move your UAD-2 cards over to the new Mac and run plugs as you always have, and then just get the Duo version of the Apollo if you don't anticipate using tons of plugs in the "realtime" mode for tracking.

zed

Post by zed »

Thanks for this thread!

Yesterday morning I was just talking with a buddy about my 2408 and how I think it may be on it's last legs and that I wouldn't be buying any MOTU hardware again after the trouble I have had with it.

I was wondering what I might replace it with, and then I just happened to come across this thread without knowing anything other than that it had something to do with UAD and I have been thinking of jumping in on that sometime.

Lo and Behold... Apollo is exactly what I need. It gives me all the inputs and outputs of the 2408 MkIII and so much more. And it gets me into UAD, and UA preamps, all in one go. This is a really cool product.

Can't afford to buy it right now, and my 2408 hasn't died yet, anyway. But this will be the most likely replacement, for sure.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

I'm liking mine..very much
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
davelee

Post by davelee »

As an Ensemble owner I am very interested in your comparison to the Apollo!Please give us the details...please!
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14