Enjoy....

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Enjoy....

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

http://www.filmpreservation.org/preserv ... peech-1924

All in DP of course. Mostly MachFive 3 except the piano and some small hand percussion. What a blast working on this little film.

THIS is how you do web distribution.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Re: Enjoy....

Post by Phil O »

Nice work, MLC. Thanks for sharing.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

That must have been a lot of fun putting that together with the film. Thanks for sharing. Puts a whole new meaning to "Stump Speeches"
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
http://www.HorizonEntertainment-NC.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Thanks, guys. Working on this was more fun than Goofy Golf! ☺
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Thanks, guys. Working on this was more fun than Goofy Golf! ☺
Thank YOU. I thoroughly enjoyed listening. The fun you had really came through in the music. (and it was educational. I always wondered who Andy Gump is)
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I was looking forward to listen to this since you posted it, but couldn't do it until today (moving can be so long, tiring and annoying).

Anyway, as usual, you did a great job, Mike!
Doing this project must've been so much fun. I think that my favorite cue was the one with the train at the beginning. The way you play the drama is always great.

I watched with my GF and she loved it too. She thought you really captured the spirit of the film.

Thanks for sharing, Mike 8)

------ Holly Crap----- Earthquake interruption.
Ok. Nothing happened. It was a small-ish one.

Let me ask you something... you've mentioned, more than once, that sometimes you don't even bother with setting measures when you work on certain sequences or projects. Was this the case on this one?
The reason I ask is because this one is full of changes of tempo and mood all over the place, and, since you used only a few instruments, I thought this would be an example. Am I correct?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

FMiguelez wrote: Let me ask you something... you've mentioned, more than once, that sometimes you don't even bother with setting measures when you work on certain sequences or projects. Was this the case on this one?
The reason I ask is because this one is full of changes of tempo and mood all over the place, and, since you used only a few instruments, I thought this would be an example. Am I correct?
Finally back from a wonderful week at the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Sedona, and a bunch of ancient Native American ruins. Awesome vacation.

So to finally answer you: yes and no.

I did use a metronome for these cues, but some sections were freely entered with the metronome turned off. Others were entered with the metronome turned on, but at any rit. or accel. I simply ignored the clicks and adjusted the meter at the end of the section to match the new cue start point, IOW, I have a few measures with 1 or 2 beats per measure to compensate for the tempo alterations.

I will probably have to score this work for live performance, which is the main reason I used the metronome.

Hope this answers your question.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I see.
That's kind of what I thought was happening.

So, thanks for sharing.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Wow, that's a lot of fun -- the music blends in seamlessly as though it was part of the original film from the start.

The harmonica is slightly jarring to me in terms of representing the train and how it blends, so I thought back to Harry Partch's "U.S. Highball", but I only have that on cassette tape so can't easily load that up right now as I no longer own a hi fi system. I think Kronos Quartet may have stuck exclusively to the strings for getting across the locomotive sounds.

[ BTW I do find the harmonica quite effective and properly seated after the 25:30 mark, so it's only the harmonica as stand-in for locomotive that throws me a bit. ]

I hope you don't mind that slight criticism, given that this is way beyond anything I've done in terms of sophistication and is also probably set in stone already. :-)

In short, I will use this as an inspiration for anything that I end up doing in the silent film music accompaniment space. The music moves the story along and achieves what it should, which is to enhance the goals of the movie director and fill the holes in the dialog/captions.

I'm curious how long a project like this takes, and whether it is done in stages and glued together or really conceived and implemented as a whole right from the start.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

TCM is running Lillian Gish night with all silent films. Any of this work yours?
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
MIDI Life Crisis

Enjoy....

Not mine.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

Because of your work you posted I was intrigued to watch many hours to just listen to the composition where before I probably would not have given this a second look. Let us know of anything does end up on broacast
MIDI Life Crisis

Enjoy....

Sorry I missed your post mhschmeider. I appreciate your comments. That score probably took me 3 or 4 days with revisions. As for broadcasts, they're ongoing and I don't always know when they happen until the performing rights organization distribute the data. If I do know I'll try to post that here.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS