So how can i convert all the cool sampler formats?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

THETOC
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

So how can i convert all the cool sampler formats?

Post by THETOC »

Hi M-Nation,

I thought MachFive3 is theee big software sampler today.
After spending some hours with it, it feels like a very
big sample player with innovative functions and a huge
sample library.

How is the conversion of sounds from other samplers going?
It's all possible, yeah! Akai, Emu, Ensoniq and whatever
But how :shock: The manual won't help much ..also no video
manual etc? The supposed to be easy drag and drop does not
work. AT least not for Akai,EXS24 and Kontakt. I actually
haven't tested Ensoniq, one last attempt will clear this.

This can't it be. Word-up. I'm running a MacPro 8core with
16GB and OSX SnowLeo 32/64bit

zT
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: So how can i convert all the cool sampler formats?

Post by FMiguelez »

What I understand is that MF doesn't convert any files. It mounts them and reads them directly.
If I'm wrong I know I will be corrected soon by somebody.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Or not. Nice eye patch! ☺ You too, FM!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
THETOC

Post by THETOC »

FMiguelez wrote:What I understand is that MF doesn't convert any files. It mounts them and reads them directly.
If I'm wrong I know I will be corrected soon by somebody.

Great! Then all works perfectly like advertised! Kontakt, Ensoniq
and Akai-S formats load directly and the user can have access to
all the sounds very quick and without much effort. That's cool..

Thank you
rhythm_kitchen

Post by rhythm_kitchen »

An easier option is to use Translator Pro from Chicken Systems. I'm trying to import my EOS sample library and actually for me it is the only option.

http://www.chickensys.com/products/sw_i ... slator+Pro

Depending if you can get your boot OS to see the sample hard drive. DVD/CDs are easier. Translator Pro can read Emu EOS formatted drives... if they are not EOS 4 or higher they are Emu formatted... obviously a little easier if the drive mounts as in Fat 32 to then convert in Translator Pro.

Mach V doesn't stream samples off Fat 32 formatted drives.

My limitation is what the Adaptec slow SCSI card will be seen by Mac OS 10.4.11 Disk Utility (PCI base G-4) then use Disk Utility (in Tiger) to make image. Naturally I have a fast SCSI to USB 1.1 adapter but no slow SCSI.

Then I have NTSF 3g installed on the Tiger OS to write to my Firewire NTSF formatted Hitachi Drive.. bring that cloned EOS image over to W-7 Pro workstation and add to my sample library using Translator Pro. From there I can attach my eSATA drive and ... haven't decided which W-7 utility, most likely Mac Drive to mount HFS+ formatted drives from the MacIntel MBP.

I sampled a Wurly years ago in frustration cause no one sold a Wurly Sample at the time. Hard and Soft (all two layers) but still it took 2-3 days minimum and a combination of layers in between to get a good balance hard tone out of the reed piano.. with a Joe Meek VC-I brick with Emu's EOS automapping software.
edit
Later on I realized a better sample is to mic the old rattle trap of a speaker on the tube powered wooden wurly. Then you sample the key hit with the reed + rattle, and hardly need any compression.

Anyone familiar with a Wurly there is a hard chord tone but what I was looking for other than chords was the blues gliss tone. The flatted keys sound different when trilling or a playing a D Flat gliss to D in a G dominant 7th trill.
Last edited by rhythm_kitchen on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

rhythm_kitchen wrote:An easier option is to use Translator Pro from Chicken Systems.
How is that easier than using MachFive as intended, exactly? :?
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
rhythm_kitchen

Post by rhythm_kitchen »

Well EOS anyway to be exact. I didn't ck on other unsupported formats. He can't import Emu EOS samples otherwise. But Motu advised me to call Chicken Systems and yes Translator Pro will auto-remap. Translator Pro will even 'image' on a W-7 system for example and from that back-up extract samples and remap.

Mach V doesn't support sample playback off Fat 32. Unless you don't have K-8 ultimate there are a lot of DVDs to reinstall. In my case on an EOS formatted drive with a slow SCSI interface which will not mount. Not on CDs or DL DVDs. As in my own samples and those pre-installed in Scotts Valley.
hugy

Post by hugy »

M5 does stream from fat32
The only limitation is that most monolith M5 soundbank are bigger than 4Go which is limit of fat32 so you can't copy those on fat32 disk.
MIDI Life Crisis

Who is the hugy guy, anyway? :) MachFive 3 God! Seriously. I learn a lot from your posts, hugy. Thanks!!!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

hugy wrote:M5 does stream from fat32
The only limitation is that most monolith M5 soundbank are bigger than 4Go which is limit of fat32 so you can't copy those on fat32 disk.
So the solution is as simple as copying it to a non-FAT32 disk and load it from there, correct?

hugy

Post by hugy »

FMiguelez wrote:
hugy wrote:M5 does stream from fat32
So the solution is as simple as copying it to a non-FAT32 disk and load it from there, correct?
yes.
rhythm_kitchen

Post by rhythm_kitchen »

Motu said no this morning. It must be the 96k HD library exceeds Fat 32! Also on Fat 32 to Macintosh and back some naming conventions aren't supported.

He did mention SSDs. But I thought platters are better for large sequential files?

I need to decide soon and get material converted as I'm getting an EOS check sum error. I do have an EOS backup on a SCSI drive. Just I need to visually see my custom multis until I have them rebuilt off my hardware sampler.

Technically for music students the example above on the wurly 'hard sample' is an augmented 4th, so it should be C# to D on a flatted 7th blues trill (no third in voicing). Fundamental played with R thumb.
hugy

Post by hugy »

you're mixing apple and oranges

Some facts:

FAT32 limitation for a single file is 4Go.
If you're not using UFS files from the M5 soundbank, other UVI soundbanks or any other monolith soundbank, I doubt you are facing this limit.

FAT32 is not something that we would usually see on a mac unless you plan to copy data from a PC to a Mac and vice/versa. (HFS+ is more suited)
There are indeed some fat32 file name which are not supported on HFS/HFS+ but usually it's quite the opposite especially as Mac guys like to put some fancy character in their file name.

96khz recorded material can be more taxing on the HD in streaming as you need to stream more than twice the same amount of data as a 44.1khz sample

SSD are always superior to SATA HD unless you've bought a real bad SSD.
Still the price/size ratio for SATA HD is of course way better. (cheaper for the same capacity)

On Mac, HFS+
on PC, NTFS

Need to copy some data from one to the other ?: use the network sharing or buy read/writing support for 3rd party vendors.
hugy

Post by hugy »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Who is the hugy guy, anyway? :) MachFive 3 God! Seriously. I learn a lot from your posts, hugy. Thanks!!!
Just a geek who love synths and samplers :)
MIDI Life Crisis

I'm thinking software engineer who knows how the program was written, but dang I wish I had that kind of understanding of the software I use. Good stuff, always!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS