MOTU 4pre, problems installing hardware/drivers

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
DanFuzz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

MOTU 4pre, problems installing hardware/drivers

Post by DanFuzz »

Hi,

Don't know if this post is right for me, I'm new to this... I a new 4pre on feb 27, 2012 and haven't been able to install it correctly yet, very frustrating...I bought this unit for the company's reputation but I'm a little bitter and frustrated now...I don't know if it's me, the 4pre, it's drivers or my computer but I've tryed so many things and nothing seems to work as it should...and the MOTU Techlinks support is so slow (to me at least). I'm running out of ideas as it is...anyone?
torrentg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: MOTU 4pre, problems installing hardware/drivers

Post by torrentg »

Copied/pasted from my post, 5th down:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 14&t=49417

Hi DanFuzz. No sweat. We'll make it happen for you.

First, which operating system are you running and is it 32 or 64 bit?

Can you please post a screenshot of your device manager with the IEEE 1394 and Sound sections maximized?

And finally for now, are you trying to connect by firewire or USB?
DanFuzz

Post by DanFuzz »

Thanks "torrentg"...i'm not shure as how to put the screenshots (I prepared them though it's in french (I'm from Quebec) but I edited them in Photoshop) in here but my OS is Windows 7 pro 64 bit SP 1.
I tried connecting through USB 2 (+ using the provided DC adapter) with bad results so now I tried with FireWire connection with bad results as well...and the unit behaves in very strange ways, could the unit be deffective? (maybe it's me). Reading some forums, it came out that a PCI FW card with Texas instruments chipset might resolve my issues so I ordered such a card :http://www.siig.com/it-products/firewir ... -pcie.html (will hopefully get it on monday). I presently have an open MOTU TechLink but they only answered me once and haven't had any news since last week (I would like this working before Xmas ;o)). If you'd like,I could provide you with the transcrips of the letter I sent them explaining my issues in more details with the answer they gave me (explaining what to do) and the steps I took in details to try resolve my problem, it'll tell you exactly where I am with this matter.

Thanks again for taking the time and regards,

Dan
DanFuzz

Post by DanFuzz »

Hi torrentg,

Just a word to let you know that I'm still waiting for my PCIe SIIG Firewire with Texas Instrument chipset...it should (hopefully) be in today or tomorrow. I'll keep you informed if this mod changes anything to my attempt to have my 4pre working...if not, I hope you could help me with some other solutions...
By the way, how can I post my device manager snapshots so you can see them?

Regards,

Dan
torrentg

Post by torrentg »

In the start menu, type without quotes "snipping tool" then press enter. An app opens that can make different file types. Just simply draw a box around what you want to make a screenshot of, and let go of the mouse button.

Then save it as a .jpg file.

Then you'll have to upload it to an online host. Photobucket.com is a good choice but you'll need to register. At Imageshack.us, no registration is needed. Copy the direct link address from there after the upload. When making a new post here, click the Img button and paste the direct link from PB into it.

You're welcome.
DanFuzz

Post by DanFuzz »

Nice "torrentg",

I just got my SIIG PCIe FireWire with TI chipset and will install it asap...
I'll keep you posted and check for posting my snapshots.

Thanks again!

Dan
DanFuzz

Post by DanFuzz »

Hello again torrentg, here is the update, as promissed, upon installing the new FW card (I thing it did improve my issues up to a point)...

- Proceeded on installation of new SIIG FireWire with TI chipset following SIIG instructions (also attached to a power strip and turned off the computer and take out power cord before installing).
- Turned the computer back on, the SIIG card shows in "device manager".
- Connected the 4pre unit into the new SIIG FW card and turn it on (the 4pre still doesn't show on the "Sound" tab of the "Control Panel".

- Turned the 4pre off, diconnected the FW cable and everything else from it, including the provided DC adapter.
- Uninstalled "MOTU hardware" from the computer with URSoft "Your Uninstaller" (last version) for thourough uninstallation.
- Rebooted the computer.

- Proceeded with re-installation of MOTU's SetupAudio.exe (with the 4pre disconnected of course).
- MOTU is still not showing in "Control Panel" - "Sound"...but maybe it is normal at this point.
- Rebooted the computer.
- Connected the FireWire cable to the 4pre and turned it on.
- The computer proceeded with driver installation and told me the unit was ready to go (so far so good).
- Checked the "Sound" tab of the "Control Panel" (YEAH!! the "MOTU Audio Wave for 64 bit" are showing).
- I selected "MOTU Main Out 1-2" as "default" for the "Playback" tab and "deactivated the "Realtek" onboard devices (3).
- I was not too sure which to choose from "Mic/Guitar 1-2", "Mic/Line 1-2" or "Mix 1 Return 1-2" on the "Record" tab (I know I won't use S/PDIF for now) for I'm not exactly sure of what each of them exactly do but for the time being, I set "Mic/Guitar 1-2" as "default" and deactivated the 3 "Realtek" onboard devices.

The good news

All seems to be "OK" for now though I have to run some tests...

- I can Hear my instrument program played with my MIDI controller through the speakers and even with the headphones.
- I can now play .mp3 files, youtube etc. and it works as fine (for now).

The less good news

- The sound in the headphones ("Phones" side) is very week...I have to turn the "Phones" volume all the way up (in the RED) and it is just a fair volume...can't even see the LED lights going up (but maybe this part is normal?).

- Connecting a single mic (Sennheiser MD 431) to each of the 4 inputs one after the other and trimming them...

- When talking in the mic in "Mic/Line input 1", I can hear myself through the monitors but not in the headphones, not even when trimming (I don't think this is normal since the "Phones Assignement" is still at Main Out 1-2 in the "MOTU Audio Console".

- OK, I found out that all the faders in CueMix had to be all the way up for me to hear mylself in the headphones and so does the Main 1-2 fader as well(is this normal?).
- Doing that, I can hear my voice with the headphones on each input I plug the mic to...the ones I could not hear before were only half way up.

- Now, as I just disconnected the mic from "Mic/Guitar input 4" to plug it back in "Mic/Guitar input 3", CueMIx shut down and I got 2 messages on my screen:

1- MOTU Asio Driver: The MOTU Audio device has been disconnected or turned off. Please reconnect it, or turn it back on (the 4pre is still on).
2 - MOTU Audio: No MOTU Audio Devices that support CueMix found. (I had CueMix opened)

- Clicked "OK" for both messages and went to "Control Panel" - "Sound"...the MOTU audio devices were gone in both "Playback" and "Record".
- Turned off and back on the 4pre unit...this did not bring back the MOTU devices in the "Sound" panel.
- Rebooted the computer leaving the 4pre on.
- The MOTU devices were back in the "Sound" panel with the defaults I had picked earlier.
- But neither Media player nor YouTube or else will give me sound though...

- Turned the 4pre off and rebooted the computer again.
- Turned the 4pre back on...the "Control Panel" - "Sound"...shows that the MOTU audio devices are still gone from both "Playback" and "Record" again.

- Rebooted the computer with the 4pre left on.
- This brought back the MOTU audio devices in "Control Panel" - "Sound".
- But still can't play any mp3...

As you can see, my situation improved a little so I suggest that we take it back from here.

Regards,

DanFuzz
torrentg

Post by torrentg »

Congrats on the new setup. Follow my reply here and it might stabilize for you.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 14&t=49576

In the future, it is perfectly well to install the driver (or a new version update) while the MOTU is on and connected. In fact, it might even go smoother.
DanFuzz

Post by DanFuzz »

A big big THANKS torrentg!!

Just to make sure I understand perfectly what you want me to do here...

In device manager, you suggest I change the IEEE 1394 driver of the new SIIG card (where my 4pre is now connected) from "Texas Instrument" to the "Legacy" (in it's name) one! If so, where can I read about what this does to improve or correct some issues?

If that works and I ever see you on the street somewhere, I'll pay you the biggest beer... ;o)

Regards,

Dan
DanFuzz

Post by DanFuzz »

Hi again torrentg,

I actually tried what that was I thought you were reffering to and guess what!!

You are an absolute GENIOUS!!

Everything works and goes as smooth as can be...I opened an mp3, my mic and I could sing along while playing my instrument program (M-Tron) with my USB keyboard controller (M-Audio Oxygen49).

The next step will be to use it with a DAW program (I was thinking about Mixcraft 5 the PRO version (looks and feels like Garage Band)...I hope this will go well!

All the best,

Dan
torrentg

Post by torrentg »

Glad to hear that things are functioning well.

My MOTU Traveler performs flawlessly with Cubase, Sonar, Sound Forge and Goldwave. Those are the DAWs and main audio apps that I use, but I also use tons of others for different things. None have issues so your choice should do well too.

All it needs is to have support for ASIO drivers, which is what you'd want to set the DAW to use (the MOTU ASIO driver).
DanFuzz

Post by DanFuzz »

Thanks again "torrentg"

Have a nice one!

Dan
DanFuzz

Post by DanFuzz »

Hi "torrentg",

As I mentioned a few days ago, everything goes well...when the MOTU devices STAY in "Device manager" - "Sound" but unfortunately, every once in a while, for no apparent reason, the MOTU devices seem to "Dissapear" from there and then I loose the sound of my computer. Rebooting fixes that issue but it's very annoying...

Any Ideas why it doesn't just stay there?

Thanks,

Dan
DanFuzz

Post by DanFuzz »

A little update from my last post, after my last reboot, I tried lo listen to some mp3s and the MOTU 4pre disconnected itself from the "device manager" - "Sound".

Now it does not come back when I reboot anymore...

Regards,

Dan
DanFuzz

Post by DanFuzz »

Update from last post...

I uninstalled the MOTU 4pre from the computer and reinstalled everything...now it's been WORKING WELL since then...even been able to record a bit...hope it stays like this...

Thanks anyways for your time and patience "torrentg".

Regards,

Dan