AUDIO EXPRESS FIREWIRE PROBLEM

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
sachink70
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

AUDIO EXPRESS FIREWIRE PROBLEM

Post by sachink70 »

MY SYS CONFIG : G41 GIGABYTE COMBO MB 8GB DDR3 RAM
SIIG FIREWIRE (NN-E20012-S2)(TI CHIPSET)
NO MIDI CONNECTIONS
NO SPDIF CONNECTIONS

WHEN I START PLAYING ANY AUDIO THE MIDI OUT LED STARTS BLINKING AND THERE IS BIG 1K WHISTLE SOUND WITH RANDOM WHITE NOISE...,ALSO SPDIF LED SHOWS SOME ACTIVITY

IT SEEM TO WORK FINE WHEN IN USB

PLEASE HELP

I AM AFRAID THE SAME PRBLEM MAY START WITH USB... :roll:
torrentg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: AUDIO EXPRESS FIREWIRE PROBLEM

Post by torrentg »

Hi,

You didn't specify which operating system, but I'll assume Windows 7.

In device manager, change the IEEE 1394 driver to the one with Legacy in its name.

To do so, right click on it in device manager. Update driver software. Browse my computer. Let me pick. Click on the Legacy line. Hit next then ok.
sachink70

Post by sachink70 »

Well thanks..sir,,

MY OPERATING SYSTEM IS WIN 7 X64

suprisingly yesterday motu audio express started working great with firewire
what i did is just Disable the onboard via audio in device manager. and to my surprise motu started working flawlessly..and to greater surprise its working great on really cheap via 3 port firewire pci card (which i bought from local store for just rs 275 (usd 5.5)

and yet one more odd think my new SIIG2 2PORT FIREWIRE (NN-E20012-S2) PROTOOLS QUALIFIED TI CHIPSET PCIe-X1 NOT WORKING..MAKING WHISTLE SOUND..
ITS REAALLY VERY SURPRISING..

AND NOW WHEN I AGAIN ENABLED THE ONBOARD SOUNDCARD ALL WORKING PERFECT....(ONLY VIA NOT THE SIIG2)

CAN U ENLIGHTEN ME ON WHAT COULD BE HAPPENING ???
torrentg

Post by torrentg »

You're welcome. Follow these steps which should allow for both the VIA and MOTU to operate simultaneously and well.

1) Visit the website of the manufacturer of your motherboard to download and install the latest bios update.

2) Install the latest VIA driver for your machine:

http://www.viaarena.com/Drivers.aspx?Pa ... CatID=3510

3) Install the latest MOTU driver for your Express, if it is not the latest already.

4) Perform the driver swap for the firewire port as outlined in my previous response.

Good luck!
sachink70

Post by sachink70 »

Thanks Sir,

I got strange issue (Well not issue exactly) my Via chipset based cheap pci firewire card works fine with Motu Audio express...But the well renowned TI chipset based SIIG2 (NN-E20012-S2) PCIe X1 is giving whistal sound and noise ....

In all the threads around the SIIG2 PCIe X1 card seem to work fine compared to Via Chipset based cards
torrentg

Post by torrentg »

sachink70 wrote:But the well renowned TI chipset based SIIG2 (NN-E20012-S2) PCIe X1 is giving whistal sound and noise ....
I understand, but the general feeling I am getting is that you didn't try the legacy driver for the SIIG2 yet. Is this true?

I'm of the type that always has to make things work, but even I wouldn't care about this if the hardware was all mine.

I'd leave in the cheap card that is functioning well and be happy.

If I had a receipt for the SIIG2, I would be returning it to the store for my mula back.
sachink70

Post by sachink70 »

No sir,
As per your instructions I did try legacy drivers..but the same problem..
can it be due to my mb configaration (gigabyte g41 combo 8gb ddr3)
...pcie x1 sharing irq 16 alongwith pcie x16 and usb and soundcard....there is no option in bios to change pcie irq...
actully my via firewirecard started working when i assigned irq in the bios option for pci bus...so its irq is 19 sharing with usb..
sachink70

Post by sachink70 »

Well I tried and my cheap via firewire card running great after again reverting back to Via driver from legacy drivers

something really strange