Multiple Monitors, Computers

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
KenNickels
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by KenNickels »

I wasn't sure which forum to post this ...

I am seeing more and more on youtube and elsewhere, composers with multiple monitors (three seems to be the magic number). In what configurations are these employed? What apps are they using and how is the work distributed?

Hans Zimmer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuvRvTlgRcc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia
bayswater

Re: Multiple Monitors, Computers

Post by bayswater »

I didn't think this was a recent trend. I've always had at least 2 monitors, and more often 3. I find 4 is too many to pay attention to at once.

I don't think this is associated with any specific type of work, but more to do with the complexity of most audio / image / video applications and the need to make use of many different windows at once. Having multiple monitors reduces constant switching windows, and keeps more information in front of you at once.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

bayswater wrote:I didn't think this was a recent trend. I've always had at least 2 monitors, and more often 3. I find 4 is too many to pay attention to at once.

I don't think this is associated with any specific type of work, but more to do with the complexity of most audio / image / video applications and the need to make use of many different windows at once. Having multiple monitors reduces constant switching windows, and keeps more information in front of you at once.
+1
I've been using 2 monitors since 2005 but multiple computers,slaves etc... that's more of a recent trend.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Multiple computers have been used for while too, for example with Gigasampler. I believe there are people on this forum that use multiple Minis. I've had two Macs running since I got my G5 some time ago, the less powerful one hosting a UAD.

Setting up multiple monitors is easier than multiple computers, an it saves money too -- a couple of 19" monitors are a lot cheaper than one 30" monitor.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

bayswater wrote:Multiple computers have been used for while too, for example with Gigasampler. I believe there are people on this forum that use multiple Minis. I've had two Macs running since I got my G5 some time ago, the less powerful one hosting a UAD.

Setting up multiple monitors is easier than multiple computers, an it saves money too -- a couple of 19" monitors are a lot cheaper than one 30" monitor.
true but it's certainly more prevalent now then it was 7 or 8 years ago excluding the Gigasampler users.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
KenNickels

Post by KenNickels »

kgdrum wrote:
bayswater wrote:Multiple computers have been used for while too, for example with Gigasampler. I believe there are people on this forum that use multiple Minis. I've had two Macs running since I got my G5 some time ago, the less powerful one hosting a UAD.

true but it's certainly more prevalent now then it was 7 or 8 years ago excluding the Gigasampler users.
Well then, how is it being used today? Look at this rack of gear. How and by what means is the load distributed? three monitors, a s*** load of D/A converters, and God knows what apps driving them across what? A single Mac Pro? Specifics please, if you know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfvwUBNg-X8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

VE Pro and Bidule are the 2 most common apps people use to create multi computer systems from what I see.
Some users use one Mac with VE Pro or Bidule to get past 32bit ram
limitations, some network multiple computers,depending on which apps are being used 32bit,64bit etc.... Depends on users needs and usage.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

One thing to bear in mind is that the video is an Avid ad.
KenNickels

Post by KenNickels »

bayswater wrote:One thing to bear in mind is that the video is an Avid ad.
I'll look into it more