VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Ha! Now that's funny right there... :rofl:

Well, you could PM, PMS, OTL, BBC, or AEIOU me. Or call. I think I'm going to Ron's birthday party tonight, BTW. Oh boy...

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Ha! Now that's funny right there... :rofl:

Well, you could PM, PMS, OTL, BBC, or AEIOU me. Or call. I think I'm going to Ron's birthday party tonight, BTW. Oh boy...
I love Ron's Bowling Birthday Parties. Wish I could be there. Say hi for me. And check your email, please!
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

WINDOZE? SERIOUSLY? Now we'll have a bunch of dummies with bad questions. I don't care if DP goes Windows. I know Logic was killing DP and it's a smart, just as long as I don't have to deal with Windoze users I'm happy.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I hope the DP community here takes a more generous approach than you have with new DP users. Not liking Windows is one thing. There's no reason to extend the dislike to people who use Windows.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

bayswater wrote:I hope the DP community here takes a more generous approach than you have with new DP users. Not liking Windows is one thing. There's no reason to extend the dislike to people who use Windows.
+1 :smash: Be kind.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

nightwatch wrote:WINDOZE? SERIOUSLY? Now we'll have a bunch of dummies with bad questions. I don't care if DP goes Windows. I know Logic was killing DP and it's a smart, just as long as I don't have to deal with Windoze users I'm happy.
Ummm... geez... computer equivalent of racism here? Seriously, you're overstating it. Yes... we might get some people with cheesy soundcards and the like, but probably not much. I don't care for Windows much myself, although now that DP will be on Windows, I can't say I might not end up there myself some day.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

having DP on windows is going to bring a lot of users into the world of DP. One of the main reasons I switched to Mac was for DP, but I'm absolutely in love with my mac and OSX, I doubt I will be going back to windows, but still its nice to know the option to do so will exist.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

dewdman42 wrote:having DP on windows is going to bring a lot of users into the world of DP. One of the main reasons I switched to Mac was for DP, but I'm absolutely in love with my mac and OSX, I doubt I will be going back to windows, but still its nice to know the option to do so will exist.
This is my case and my feelings as well. I use windows at work and that is more than enough for me, OSX is just so much easier to use and more stable.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Guys,
I had to go windoze because of rs232 ports at some point...
And once I had a working rig, never ever did XP let me down...
Disk backup and the like is worse, but can be done...

I am scared of Apple... since iOS introduction,
and if need be, won't buy any more boxes from them...

YMMV

Best

Klaus
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

nightwatch wrote:WINDOZE? SERIOUSLY? Now we'll have a bunch of dummies with bad questions.
You mean like: "Can I run the Windows version of DP on my Mac with Boot Camp?" Sorry, I'm perverse.
James Steele wrote: Ummm... geez... computer equivalent of racism here?
"Platformism?"

But is it really platformist if your platform actually IS
vastly superior? Remember, these are the people who brought us Vista!

:mrgreen:
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Babz wrote:Remember, these are the people who brought us Vista!
No they're not. They'll be people who were unfortunate enough to use Vista. Let's not blame the victims.
Babz

Post by Babz »

bayswater wrote:
Babz wrote:Remember, these are the people who brought us Vista!
No they're not. They'll be people who were unfortunate enough to use Vista. Let's not blame the victims.
Sorry. Perhaps it wasn't obvious enough that by "these are the people who brought us" I meant Microsoft. (I was responding to "although now that DP will be on Windows, I can't say I might not end up there myself some day" with that remark.} Since the DP 8 announcement, there have been a smattering of posts saying, like, " well now that DP is going to be available, maybe I've been too Windoze-phobic over the years." And I'm saying, maybe. I don't know, I bailed on Windows with XP, but remember, these are the people (Microsoft) who brought us Vista.

Sigh, nothing ruins a smug, snipey quip like having to explain it....

But, all joking aside, and with admitted Mac Chauvinism, I stand by my "vastly superior" platform comment.

Babz
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I understand. The problem I had with the original post was the not so veiled attack on people who use Windows rather than a dislike of Windows itself. If Mr Balmer himself shows up here, I'll be in with the boots with everyone else.
Babz

Post by Babz »

bayswater wrote:I understand. The problem I had with the original post was the not so veiled attack on people who use Windows rather than a dislike of Windows itself. If Mr Balmer himself shows up here, I'll be in with the boots with everyone else.
Well, I just popped in on this thread, and I'm not about to go back and sift through 11 pages to find out who "Mr. Whatever" is or what the difference is between "people who use Windows" and "dislike of Windows itself", ...

But, for my part, attacking people who use Windows isn't even part of my way of thinking. I would be attacking myself. I mean, I"M a "person who uses Windows" -- or at least I have a couple of Windoze computers around and I still get use out of them. But at the time I waded into those waters, the only soft samplers around were Unity on the Mac, and Gigastudio on the PC. I needed what Giga had to offer back then, but now... With all the great stuff on the Mac side, I see no reason to even think about Windows nowadays. (OK, cheaper hardware, but ... )

There's "people who use Windows" and there's "people who HAVE to use Windows" (for one reason or another). And then I suppose there are even "people who prefer to use Windows". But I am thankfully not one of the former, and can't imagine ever becoming the latter.

8)

Babz
Last edited by Babz on Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
MIDI Life Crisis

VIDEO OF NAMM DP8 DEMO

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

We tend to anthropomorphise machines and place people in virtual databases. I do the same thing with people who drive Chevys.

j/k... or am I? ;)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS