Mainstage and DP7.24

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
p.pan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mainstage and DP7.24

Post by p.pan »

For me the principal is to record the MIDI in DP.
With a confortable playing.

After you can use the VIs in DP.
Or also I discover you can use the VIs of Mainstage like all the VIs are include in Mainstage bundle.
And when you finish you recording.
With the IAC Driver you send back your MIDI to Mainstage.
And via Adat you record the audio in DP.

For that I use 2 Audio interfaces.
One send by the ADAT the sound of Mainstage in DP.

I dont If I am clear.
Sorry.
MacPro 5.1 6-core 3.33GHz 16GB RAM.
Motu 2408MKI PCIe 424, with Focusrite octopre
Alphatrack.
DP7.24, SD2, Omnisphere 1, Komplete 7,Ethno.1.0.1,Styllus RMX 1.8
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

This shows how to use Garageband sounds in DP. You can follow the same instructions using Mainstage and Logic instead of Garageband.

Is that what you were asking?

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technotes/DP_and_GB.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
p.pan

Post by p.pan »

Look very nice I try that tomorow.

Thanks
MacPro 5.1 6-core 3.33GHz 16GB RAM.
Motu 2408MKI PCIe 424, with Focusrite octopre
Alphatrack.
DP7.24, SD2, Omnisphere 1, Komplete 7,Ethno.1.0.1,Styllus RMX 1.8
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Let's try this again. Say, for instance, I have an AU plugin in MS2 (in my case DrumCore 3) instantiated at a buffer of 16. I want to publish the DrumCore MIDI outputs to a MIDI track in DP at a buffer of 1040. How do I route MS2's MIDI outs to a track in DP?

My setup does not include SoundFlower. I've tried it, and can't get it to work. My MainStage / DP rig involves routing the computer output via the Mix 1 Return in CueMix. This only works with MOTU FW interfaces.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Soundflower doesn't carry MIDI, and I don't think the buffer size affects MIDI. I've used MS1 to play ESX24 sounds in DP following the procedure described by MOTU in the post above on how to use Garageband in DP. You used Interapplication MIDI for MIDI and Soundflower for audio.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

That makes sense. I'll read that linked post. I'll be curious to see which app needs to stay "in front" for it all to play nice.

Speaking of nice, is there a change in the "niceness" (i.e., work priority) in DP for MS2 to be cool in the background?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I don't recall that it matters which is in front. But I find that whenever I've had one of the three Apple audio apps running, things get flaky in DP. I suspect the Apple apps are doing things to CoreAudio etc that DP doesn't like, but I can't verify or repeat anything.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

cuttime wrote:Let's try this again. Say, for instance, I have an AU plugin in MS2 (in my case DrumCore 3) instantiated at a buffer of 16. I want to publish the DrumCore MIDI outputs to a MIDI track in DP at a buffer of 1040. How do I route MS2's MIDI outs to a track in DP?

My setup does not include SoundFlower. I've tried it, and can't get it to work. My MainStage / DP rig involves routing the computer output via the Mix 1 Return in CueMix. This only works with MOTU FW interfaces.
Well my question is are you playing the sounds in Drumcore with a hardware controller or are you playing MIDI loops in Drumcore? If you're playing the sounds in Drumcore with a hardware controller, the idea is to set the exact same controller you're using in Mainstage to a track in DP so that when you play the instance of Drumcore in Mainstage, at the same time you're recording MIDI into DP. You then simply open up that instance in DP and you're done. The high buffer setting in DP won't affect MIDI recording and the low buffer in Mainstage allows you to hear what you're recording without a crippling delay.

I'm not exactly sure why you would want to route MIDI loops playing in Drumcore to DP instead of just hosting Drumcore in DP? so I'm guessing you're missing that you would just be recording the MIDI your controller sends in DP.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Michael Canavan wrote: I'm not exactly sure why you would want to route MIDI loops playing in Drumcore to DP instead of just hosting Drumcore in DP? so I'm guessing you're missing that you would just be recording the MIDI your controller sends in DP.
Thanks for the response. I guess the main reason for my question was in the spirit of experimentation with the OP's hypothesis. I just wanted to see if I could generate a MIDI loop in MS2 without an external controller at the incredibly low buffer rate of 16 while recording in DP at 1024. I wanted to know what is possible and take it from there. Basically I am unable to publish the MIDI outs from an AU plug hosted in MS2. Perhaps this is the way that MS2 is intended to be, however, I am able to get the audio from both apps to play quite nicely with each other through CueMix.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

cuttime wrote: Basically I am unable to publish the MIDI outs from an AU plug hosted in MS2. Perhaps this is the way that MS2 is intended to be, however, I am able to get the audio from both apps to play quite nicely with each other through CueMix.
Yeah unfortunately that's not surprising, Mainstage is of course coded by the same people who code Logic. Reports are that Logic has issues with plug ins being able to send MIDI out, so sequencer plug ins like drum machines and Reaktor step sequencers etc. don't work in Logic regardless of whether an AU can publish its internal MIDI to another track in your DAW etc. What that means for us is that most plug in developers have coded and refined this in say FXpansion Geist VST but haven't for the AU version. Basically Logic holds DP back this way. It will be interesting to see if the Windows version of DP can send and receive MIDI between VST plug ins.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Using Mainstage to host plugs in 64 bit with a buffer of 16 is very appealing, though. I never noticed how sensitive and responsive a VI could be until I tried it with that buffer.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Michael Canavan wrote: Reports are that Logic has issues with plug ins being able to send MIDI out, so sequencer plug ins like drum machines and Reaktor step sequencers etc.
The new version of MS (2.2.1) has fixed this.